1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can you spot the Trinity?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 1689Dave, Dec 1, 2021.

1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Trinity Test

I post to several forums. A couple of them are heavily trafficked by antitrinitarians. I noticed we have no communication when I point out obvious trinity passages and proofs. So I began offering a simple test to see if they could spot the trinity in scripture.

I ran a Logos search to list all the scriptures that mention the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in one way or another. To my surprise, none of the antitrinitarians could see the Godhead in any of them. After several tries, I realized the Spirit of Antichrist had blinded them entirely. So I realized trying to debate with them using scripture was a dead end.

Trinity Passages
    English Standard Version 233 results in 42 verses

Matt 1:20

But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.

Matt 3:16

And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him;

Matt 12:18

“Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased. I will put my Spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles.

Matt 12:28

But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

Matt 22:43

He said to them, “How is it then that David, in the Spirit, calls him Lord, saying,

Matt 28:19

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Luke 1:35

And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God.

Luke 2:26

And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.

Luke 3:22

and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form, like a dove; and a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”

Luke 10:21

In that same hour he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will.

John 1:33

I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’

John 3:5

Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

John 3:34

For he whom God has sent utters the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure.

John 14:16

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,

John 14:26

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

John 15:26

“But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.

John 16:15

All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

Acts 1:4

And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me;

Acts 2:33

Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.

Acts 7:55

But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God.

Acts 10:38

how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.

Rom 1:4

and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord,

Rom 8:9

You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

Rom 8:11

If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

Rom 15:16

to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles in the priestly service of the gospel of God, so that the offering of the Gentiles may be acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

Rom 15:30

I appeal to you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God on my behalf,

1 Cor 6:11

And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Cor 12:3

Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit.

2 Cor 3:3

And you show that you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

2 Cor 13:14

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Gal 4:6

And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!”

Eph 2:18

For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father.

Eph 2:22

In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.

Phil 3:3

For we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh—

2 Thess 2:13

But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.

Titus 3:6

whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,

Heb 9:14

how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.

Heb 10:29

How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace?

1 Pet 1:2

according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you.

1 Pet 4:14

If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.

1 John 4:2

By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God,

Rev 2:7

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for those, @1689Dave :)
    An excellent book to use against Unitarians and JWs is The Trinity by E.H. Bickersteth (Kregel). Although it's a 19th Century book I find it excellent. I recently replied to a letter distributed by the JWS in my area, and used the following pairs of verses to show that Jesus is Jehovah.

Psalm 90:2. ‘From everlasting to everlasting, You are God.’
    Micah 5:2. ‘Whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.’
    [Be aware that the Hebrew word for ‘everlasting’ in Psalm 90 is the same as the one in Micah 5]

Psalm 93:2. ‘Your throne is established of old; You are from everlasting.’
    Hebrews 1:8. ‘Unto the Son, He says, “Your throne, O God, is for ever and ever.”’

Isaiah 44:6. “I am the first and the last; and beside Me there is no God.”
    Revelation 1:17-18. “I am the first and the last: I am He who lives and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore.”

Jeremiah 23:24. ‘“Do I not fill heaven and earth?” Says Jehovah.’
    Ephesians 4:10. ‘He who descended is also the one who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all in all.’

Deuteronomy 31:8. “And Jehovah, He is the one who goes before you. He will be with you.
    Matthew 28:20. “And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Malachi 3:6. “I am Jehovah, I do not change.”
    Hebrews 13:8. ‘Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever.’

Proverbs 16:4. ‘Jehovah has made all things for Himself.
    Colossians 1:16. ‘For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth….. All things were created through Him and for Him’

Finally, bearing in mind Isaiah 42:8, consider:
    Revelation 4:11. ‘You are worthy, O Lord, to receive honour and glory and power.’
    Revelation 5:12. ‘Worthy is the Lamb who was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and strength and honour and glory and blessing.’
    Revelation 5:13. ‘Blessing and honour and glory and power be to Him who sits on the throne, and (or possibly ‘even’ cf. Rev. 5:6) to the Lamb, forever and ever.’
    God will not share His glory with another, but He will share it with the Lord Jesus Christ. Think about it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take it that "One God in three persons" is sound biblical doctrine. Who knew?

Next you guys will be telling me Jesus is Yahweh!

Or the Holy Spirit is a person and not a force!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Christ is the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

“So I want to remind you, though you already know these things, that Jesus first rescued the nation of Israel from Egypt, but later he destroyed those who did not remain faithful.” Jude 5 (NLT)

“and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they were all drinking from the spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was Christ.” (1 Corinthians 10:4)

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:Matthew 28:19 (KJV 1900)

Ac 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Ac 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
    Ac8:l6 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be holding to the heresy of Oneness!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I admit that I don't see the problem.
    All one has to do is believe these words, and it should become readily apparent Who is being spoken of here:

" For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." ( 1 John 5:7 ).

To me, this is the clearest passage in all the Scriptures that conveys Who the Godhead is, although there are several others that do it nearly as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congrats. Some I've dealt with cannot see the Trinity in the passages. These were all cult members according to the historic creeds.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That passage does not fit it in any way 1 John 5:9, how God Himself is a greater witness. 1 John 5:9-12.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is incorrect. In fact it is a heresy.

10. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture is heresy? Are you sure you are right making this call? Have you read the critical apparatus for NA 27 & 28?

“Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.” Jude 5 (ESV)

#10 1689Dave, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  11. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    RANK HERESY!

12. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Trinity in the Old Testament:

Isaiah 48:16

"Come ye near unto Me, hear ye this; from the beginning I have not spoken in secret; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord Jehovah hath sent Me, and His Spirit"

Isaiah 63:8-10, 14

"For He said, Surely, they are My people, children that will not deal falsely: so He was their Saviour. In all their affliction He was afflicted, and The Angel of His Presence saved them: in His love and in His pity he redeemed them; and He bare them, and carried them all the days of old. But they rebelled, and grieved His Holy Spirit: therefore He was turned to be their enemy, [and] Himself fought against them...As the cattle that go down into the valley, the Spirit of Jehovah caused them to rest; so didst Thou lead thy people, to make Thyself a Glorious Name"

The Holy Trinity in the New Testament:

Matthew 28:19

"Therefore go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"

1 John 5:7

"For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit, and these Three are one"

• Like Like x 1
  13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the Greek translation, kyrios was used to render the divine name Yahweh (יהוה‎, yhwh). Thus it became possible to transfer to Jesus statements that were attributed in the Old Testament to God.

Ramos, A. (2016). Jesus Christ, Titles of. In J. D. Barry, D. Bomar, D. R. Brown, R. Klippenstein, D. Mangum, C. Sinclair Wolcott, … W. Widder (Eds.), The Lexham Bible Dictionary. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

14. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Scripture isn't heresy, your understanding is. You are not Scripture.

You need to read what the Trinity is. what you are stating is not the doctrine of the Trinity.

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The doctrine of the trinity can be found in the ecumenical creeds. What I posted alludes to the trinity in each verse. Can you spot the trinity in them?

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Psalm 110:1, 5, you have TWO distinct Persons Who are equally called YHWH

"YHWH said to My Lord, Sit at My right hand until I place Your enemies as Your footstool...YHWH at Your Right Hand"

We have the first YHWH Who is the Father. Then we have ADONI, My Lord, which is also a Name used for Almighty God in the Old Testament, here used for Jesus Christ. In verse 5, according to at least 20 Hebrew MT manuscripts by the Jews, instead of ADON, have YHWH. This makes the ADONI of verse 1, YHWH, which makes TWO Persons Who are equally called YHWH.

In Isaiah 48:16, we have YHWH as the Speaker, Who says that, He and the Holy Spirit, were sent by “Adonay YHWH”

In 2 Samuel 23:2, we have a very clear reference where The Holy Spirit is called YHWH:

The Spirit of the LORD speaks by me (heb., דִּבֶּר־בִּי, is masculine); His word (heb. וּמִלָּתוֹ , is feminine, lit, “Her word”) is on my tongue. The God of Israel has spoken; the Rock of Israel has said to me”

We would have expected “אֶת־דְּבָרוֹ”, the masculine, “His word”, which would agree with “יהוה” (YHWH), which is masculine. However, with the use of the feminine, “וּמִלָּתוֹ”, it is clear that The Spirit is meant, so that “The Spirit of the Lord”, IS the subject, and refers to One, and not two Persons. It is "His Word”, that is, The Spirit’s, that is on the tongue of David. The following words also belong to the Spirit, Who is also called “The God of Israel”, and “the Rock of Israel”. Very clear testimony to the full Deity of the Holy Spirit.

Here we have THREE distinct Persons in the Old Testament, Who are equally Almighty God

17. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    And God's name in the NT is Jesus Christ. Heresy is when you say Jesus isn't God.

18. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you said

Jesus Christ is the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit

By this you mean that Jesus Christ IS The Father IS The Son IS The Holy Spirit. This is the early heresy known as Modalism. I am not sure if you are aware of this, and whether you meant to describe The Father, Son and Holy Spirit, as Jesus Christ?

Interesting that the early heretic Priscillian, has 1 John 5:7, as

“John says there are three who testify on earth, the water, the flesh, and the blood, and these three are one, and there are three who testify in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Spirit, and these three are one in Jesus Christ,” (Priscillian of Avila, Tractate 1, Sections 46-48).

This is to reflect his own theology where he denied the Holy Trinity. His is the only version with this false reading!

19. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are confused by Oneness. Stick with the Bible and the trinity doctrine. You'll grasp much more.

20. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you explain what you mean by, "Jesus Christ is the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit", because this is NOT taught anywhere in the 66 Books of the Bible. Quote one verse that says this.