1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Candidates of Apostasy; Are you one?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by vooks, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t understand why the statement that temporary life cannot be eternal life is something you consider ridiculous, and this largely due to your explanation that “it is akin to saying that physical death proves you were never alive.” It seems that physical death proves mortality (that physical life is not eternal), not that life never existed. In fact, it proves the contrary (physical death implies having once lived physically).

Occasionally TCassidy will misinterpret a passage or doctrine (those times when he disagrees with me :D ), but I agree with him on this point. Eternal life is just that. If one has it and loses it, then it was never eternal. People who have eternal life are not found without eternal life.

If, however, you are arguing that one does not "receive" or enter into eternal life until “the end”, then I can understand your argument. But if this is your argument I think that you need to make it clear.
    I'd also be interested in knowing exactly why you think God made a mistake with Israel. I didn't see a follow up on that remark, but what I understand it to mean is that those years in the wilderness were not purposed by God (as revealed throughout the remainder of the Old and New Testament) but was instead of some kind of mistake.

I may be misreading you on both accounts, and if so then you have my apologies. I will add that much too often on the BB people are misread because their statements lack clarity. I would appreciate it if you would clarify for me those two issues.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As my salvation has been questioned in this thread I would like to reply with the Inspired, Inerrant, Infallible word of God.

1 John 5:13 "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know (perfect tense) that you have (present tense) eternal (never ending) life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God."

For all the "bible experts" who don't know what a perfect tense verb means, it simply means something occurred earlier that resulted in the current state.

In other words, the faith I now have was obtained in the past which resulted in my presently knowing that I have eternal life.

That's bible. Accept it or reject it. :)

Titus 3:5 "Not by works of righteousness which we did ourselves, but according to his mercy, he saved us through the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit."

Ephesians 2:8 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
    9 not of works, that no one would boast.
    10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. vooks

vooks Active Member

Is that a threat?

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another consideration is are we sharing the same vocabulary. To the best of my knowledge, there is a difference between "perseverance of the saints" and "the eternal security of the believer". As I understand the term with perseverance of the saints, a person does not know his\her eternal destiny until the end. With the eternal security of the believer, a person can know.

5. vooks

vooks Active Member

Eternal damnation does not prove that one never had eternal life anymore than physical death proves one was never alive

Because eternal life is not defined by possession but by retention

Strawman
    Eternal life is a conditional gift. It has an 'if'. You have it IF

I never said he made a mistake, but rather suggested that Canaan was a promise to all that left Israel yet not all made it. Canaan was conditional as is eternal life. You can't possibly argue that the ones who fell in the wilderness were never promised Canaan

what issues?

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Putting on my Moderator hat in answer to your question. Yes.

7. vooks

vooks Active Member

You are almost there.
    Perseverance of saints means God will keep his till the very end. It also necessarily means those who never hang on to the very end are not kept by God and were never saved.

These two points means that PRESENTLY, nobody can claim to persevere for while they may be in faith today, they may fall off tomorrow and this be proved to have never been saved contrary to their beliefs.

In short, the eternal security/guarantee of believers turns out to be eternal insecurity. The ultimate test of your salvation is simply hanging on to the end. But how do I know you have hanged on to the end unless you get to the very end?

8. vooks

vooks Active Member

I don't understand. What is the sin in this case, interrogating the nature of salvation?

9. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that is why you need to, to quote Mayor Shinn of River City, Iowa, " watch your phraseology." You need to be cautious about personalizing your inquiry.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it just proves that what you were calling "eternal life" was not so eternal. No one argues that death proves one did not have life, just that the life had was not eternal (hence death).
    No, eternal is defined by duration, not retention. Life that does not last forever is simply not life that lasts forever. I don't understand why this alludes your grasp.
    No, I don't have it "if." I have you at "if" ("if you are arguing..."). Here's another - if you cannot be faithful in dealing with what I, being nothing, posted then what reasonable assurance is there that you will with what God has said?
    Sure you did. In fact, that is exactly what you said:
    I agree with you that there is a condition (regardless of who meets that condition....God or man). But your mistake is in assuming that the "gift" itself comes with that condition. My argument is that there is no assurance of eternal life/saved/entering the Kingdom except that which is gained by examining our lives. Scripture speaks of those who are saved/ have eternal life/ are a part of the Kingdom as the exact same people who will be saved/ will be granted eternal life/ will enter the Kingdom. Until you understand that simple fact I really do not see your argument growing into something biblically defensible.

11. vooks

vooks Active Member

We can dissect salvation as an abstract impersonal topic, right?

12. vooks

vooks Active Member

Physical death does not mean one never was physically alive just as spiritual death does not mean one was spiritually alive
    Do infants have eternal life?

The gift is conditional. Period.
    This means possession the gift is conditional and not absolute. You are alive as long as you are breathing....an oversimplified analogy

All great points but..do you have eternal life?

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that point, but that spiritual death was not associated with the gift of "eternal life."
    I don't know.
    The giving is conditional, not the gift.
    And yes, I am saved.

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You were warned about questioning any individual regarding his eternal salvation. Last warning. Either discuss this subject in the abstract or don't discuss it at all.

15. vooks

vooks Active Member

ok
    Really?:rolleyes:

You don't know who has and who has not eternal life?

How does one get eternal life?
    The giving of the gift is conditional but the gift is not. You are hilarious. What is the condition for giving if I may ask?
    Which makes you immune from eternal damnation even if you worshipped the beast, right?

PS
    By 'you' I mean a saved individual and not you @JonC δοῦλος;)

#55 vooks, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  16. vooks

vooks Active Member

Abstract is cool?
    Far enough

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, really. I don't know how God works in the lives of infants.
    This question has been asked and answered several times in Scripture. Here I think it best to teach one to fish rather than simply offering a meal. Try reading John, your answer is there.
    John 17:3 defines eternal life. The way that people are saved is by God, through faith in Jesus Christ. You see, Vooks, God gave His Son that any who would believe in Him would have eternal life. I think that many if not all of these questions you have will be answered in that Gospel.
    Which means that if I were to worship the Beast then it would demonstrate that I never had been saved in the first place. Again, read John (this time his epistles).

Some make the mistake of pointing to a time of belief as our assurance we have been saved. Others make the mistake of denying such assurance and focusing solely on the salvation that is to come. Both of these positions are denied in Scripture (pointing out one error does not justify your own error).
    We abide by the rules of the forum. Personally, I don't care one bit if you question my salvation. I have an answer for the faith that is in me. We are repeatedly called in Scripture to test our own salvation to see if we are indeed among the elect (I realize that this may seem hilarious or silly to you, yet it is repeated by John, Peter, and Paul). But I don't mind people questioning my salvation and am never offended when people do so. Just remember it is against the rules here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

In instructing the Corinthians on the man who was in gross sin we see Paul stating this:

1 Corinthians 5:4-6
    4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
    5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
    6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

A believer in gross sin and continues in it will be turned over to satan for destruction of the flesh, but what of their salvation their eternal spirit, it will be saved in the day of the Lord. They don't lose their salvation.

More examples, 1 Timothy 1:19-20,
    19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:
    20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

Those who do not hold the faith and a good conscience are still saved yet Paul turned them over to satan, as he advised the Corinthians to do, yet their spirit would be saved. These two put away concerning faith and made the teaching shipwrecked, Paul didn't say they lost their salvation he said so they would learn not to blaspheme.

19. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Romans 8:27
    And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Christ searches and knows the heart man is not God and cannot tell if the heart is righteous or unrighteous. Paul does say,
    Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Confession is made by the mouth, many say they have believed they confess but only the Lord can see their heart.

Romans 16:
    17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
    18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Many can be deceived as believers the hearts of the simple can be drawn away, that is an immature believer who is not well grounded can be drawn away by the false teacher.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

To get back to the OP:
    We all hear of men like Charles Templeton.
    http://www.cstnews.com/bm/other-hot...athetic-preacher-dies-in-unbelief~print.shtml
    --He preached alongside Billy Graham in some of his great crusades. And then suddenly apostatized. How could it be? Apparently Templeton could never come to grips with the inspiration of the Scriptures, and even though had the ability to preach a great sermon was probably never saved in the first place.
    The Lord knows them that are his.
    There is a lot of misunderstanding about the Book of Hebrews. I am sure there will be some that disagree with me, nevertheless, I disagree with your assumption that this verse can be used for a believer losing his salvation. Far from it.

First, the overall context of the entire book must be considered. The author was writing to discouraged Hebrew Christians. Like Muslim converts of today they had been cast out of their own families, persecuted by them, as well as the Roman government. They, in many cases, had nothing left to turn to.
    The author says:
    Hebrews 10:34 For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.
    --Their houses had been ransacked, their goods taken, and they had nothing left.

How easy would it be to "turn back" to "Temple Worship," to go back to the priests, their families, their old form of worship, that which they were comfortable with, than face all this persecution. The problem was (just like a Muslim today), once you become a Christian you cannot turn back to false religion like Judaism or Islam. It is impossible. Thus the author shows how much better is true biblical Christianity than what they had before--their worship in Judaism (which they cannot return to). It is impossible. (And it is impossible for a converted Muslim today to turn back to Islam).

Hebrews 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
    29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
    --Here is the comparison again.
    Those that despised Moses law were punished severely. According to Deu.17:2-6, he died without mercy. He was put to death according to the law.

What about those who have trodden under foot the Son of God..? A true Christian who has the Holy Spirit dwelling in Him cannot do such a thing.
    They are "sanctified" or set apart by Christ. How can he count the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified unholy? He cannot. But that is what he would be doing if he were to return to the Temple, and start offering Old Testament sacrifices again.
    He can't go back. Over and over again the writer admonishes: "Let us go on..." They can't go back; they must go on...go on unto perfection or completion...look unto Jesus, not being discouraged.

This is a sin a believer cannot commit. A believer cannot lose his salvation.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.