1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Canned" Sermons

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by JohnB, May 17, 2005.

1. Ed B

Ed B Member

I applaud the pastor for his ethics in the matter of giving credit to his sources, and shaking my head about the members who boycotted the services.

I know some of my fellow laypersons go through life for decades assuming that the pastor’s message is a unique work inspired by the Holy Spirit for that congregation each week and a direct result of his study and prayer time. In fact, they may be right but perhaps the vehicle of the inspiration and delivery of the message is simply not what they imagined. I think it is mostly naiveté and disappointment as they look behind of the veil understand the life of pastor'. I am related to several pastors and know that like the nuts and bolts of Church polity, it can be messy and not as spirtual as we thought when we were kids.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They wanted a sermon from him and not parts from a book. They are people who would not have read the book anyway.

It is downright pagan in most cases. Just listen to how think church should be and how they deal with relationship. Exactly like the world. I laugh at how some think the church should not be like a business. I have run every business I owned or managed just like the church--with a high level of integrity and above board. My saying has always been "Give every reason for people to trust you."

I have been in business and pastored and some of the greatest crooks I have met are those who attend the church on Sunday and cheat their customers on Monday. There was a farmer who told me that his workers had to work on Sunday. Then I asked him about why he was at church did not at least switch off with them. He got mad. About five years later he shot and killed himself.

I worked for a Christian man who owned the largest business in America of its kind and he told me that if I ever lied or cheated a customer I would be terminated immediately. The business had been started by his dad. It was in the family about 100 years. The business was awarded a prestigious ethics award that few businesses get.

I too often heard from those in the pew and other pastors that business is different than church. Hogwash!!! Living to the glory of God is not dependent on situational ethics. If a man will not lead in a business with integrity then never let him lead in a church. If he will not lead with integrity then he is a liar and a fraud. I do not see anywhere that scripture differentiates between living the Christian life in business, the world, and church.