1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Canons of Dordt

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by King James Bond, Aug 2, 2005.

1. King James Bond

King James Bond New Member

Why do people keep pushing this Arminian stuff?

The followers of Jacob Arminius were proved to be teaching false and Un-Biblical doctrine way back in 1619.

The decisions that were made in Dordt on the five main points of doctrine in dispute were ALL based on Pure Bible Text.

The five points in dispute were studied and proved to be completely Un-Biblical.

The Biblical and proven points are commonly known as "TULIP" or the "Five points of Calvinism".

I would suggest people doing some real research into each and every point in dispute.

I am not speaking about reading up on the teachings of men.

I am talking about reading Biblical teachings from men on sound and Biblical foundation!

Its one thing to teach things......but the heart of the matter is......does Scripture back it up!

Here is one place to start;

http://www.creeds.net/dordt/index.htm

Much more can be found on BOTH sides......I would suggest a real study of both sides.

God bless! Regards, KJB [​IMG]

2. rc

rc New Member

King James Bond,

Been there done that with these people, they refuse to look into history. I took them all the way back to the pre Nicene fathers and they still shook there heads.... It would be nice if they would admit that their understandings where born from Humanistic, secular philosophers like Erasmus and the like, but they will stick to their traditions, no matter how refuted the "free will" position has been in the Church.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

more teachings of men = more error.

rc, if history were as important as you make it sound, we would be catholic.

4. OCC

OCC Guest

Hey rc, how's it goin? [​IMG]

KJB, can we really say that Arminianism was "completely proven to be unbiblical"? For Calvinists to "completely prove" it, doesn't necessarily make it so. That would be like me saying the sky is purple therefore it is purple because I have proved it.

5. OCC

OCC Guest

I have a comparison book on TULIP which summarizes both sides and gives Scriptures. Some of the Calvinist ones are way out of context.

6. rc

rc New Member

The council of Dordt was made not by "calvinists" but a unified reformed church. They were unified in the traditional, historical, orthodox teachings of the five solas.

This is the view that caused the reformation, that the Catholic church was founded on a heresy that was strong armed unto the masses due to politics and not truth. The view of the Roman church was based on the HERETICAL view of Palagianism which was introduced to the Roman church by Zosimus even after being rebuked by the council or Orange.

The reformation brought light back to the people, thus the slogan "Post tenebras lux". They where unified again with scripture being the foundation and the church only being a protective guide FOR the masses.

Dordt was a council that denounced Arminianism has heretical and was a "slip" back to the Catholic Church in it's subtle form of Casianism. (free will) which the Roman church supported with the leading humanistic philosophers of the time defending the church against the reformers.

This council wasn't a bunch of guys who found this "new" teaching and said "We think this is wrong and this is why!" It was a decision that was made on the scriptures AND the History of the teachings of the Church fathers. The decision was made after recognizing the free will view was NEVER accepted into the church at all, but always refuted through out the whole History of the church. It wasn't that it needed to "Prove" that Arminianism was wrong, but that it just accepted what was always taught and did not see any scriptural support for the teaching but was again by history shown to be a teaching that was brought in by humanistic, secular teachers.

7. rc

rc New Member

Webdog,

And if you Knew your history, you would know Roman Catholicism IS the foundation of your sotierology!

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So now I need a sotierology degree to know false doctrine? No thanks.

9. rc

rc New Member

My people perish for a lack of knowledge.
    You keep on siding with the Catholics then!

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who does this "knowledge" come from, man or the Holy Spirit? Continue to look to men for your wisdom, and read 1 Corinthians 3:18-21

11. rc

rc New Member

Yes, I agree.
    So why do you agree with the teachings of secular humanists? These are the ones that introduced self determinate free will into the church.

Do you not listen to a preacher every Sunday? Didn't Paul say that God gave TEACHERS?
    Also in Proverbs it says that: There is a way that SEEMS RIGHT unto a MAN but the ends thereof are death. Also a wise man seeks counsel. Your questions are begging.
    This is one reason for the authority of the CHURCH, to defend truth and name and expel the wolves within. If you look in history you will find them. Arius, Pelagius, Zosimus, Casianus, Arminius.

Long before Calvin, Luther was Pelagius. Why did the CHURCH find him to be a heretic? Remember, the church then was not like the church today. They were in universal agreement, it wasn't "a couple guys" that deemed his teachings to be in error but the whole CHURCH did, to keep the Church free from doctrinal disease. What did the church use to find him guilty of heresy?

12. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

What church you talkin' about, rc?

13. mioque

mioque New Member

"The followers of Jacob Arminius were proved to be teaching false and Un-Biblical doctrine way back in 1619."
    "
    For those not in the know, the Synode van Dordrecht (Dordt) was mostly a politically motivated hatchet job, more about the power struggle between prince Maurits and Johan van Oldenbarnevelt than about theological differences. The synod wasn't a theological dispute, it was a trial and by that stage in the struggle the outcome was already certain, first his political supporters got denounced and than on 13 may 1619 van Oldenbarnevelt was beheaded. His last words were:"Mannen, gelooft niet dat ik een landverrader ben, ik heb oprecht en vroom gehandeld, als een goed patriot, en die zal ik sterven.
    Maak het kort, maak het kort.*"

*(to the spectators)) Men, don't believe I'm a traitor, I've acted genuine and pious, like a good patriot and I will die like one.
    (to the executioner) Make it short, make it short.

14. King James Bond

Even if that is the case.

What men intend for evil...God may intend for good.

And thus we have the great canons of Dordt!

Regards, KJB [​IMG]

15. mioque

mioque New Member

mr. Bond
    While I don't disagree with the rest of your post I must take issue with your first sentence.

"Even if that is the case."
    I just told you the Dutch equivalent of the death of Billy the kid (or the Alamo, or the murder of JFK) and you doubt it happened!?

HELLO earth to 007. Defining moment in my nation's history.

16. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Thanks for the breath of fresh air, mioque.

17. King James Bond

"Even if that is the case."
    I just told you the Dutch equivalent of the death of Billy the kid (or the Alamo, or the murder of JFK) and you doubt it happened!?

HELLO earth to 007. Defining moment in my nation's history.

mioque,

First of all I do not remember posting any words saying that I doubted it happened ..... those happen to be your words .

My words were "Even if that is the case".

The intent of my post is clarified in the rest of my post.

The intent of my post was not to show that I did, or did not know about every detail in world history in every country on the planet.

The intent of my post is that even though men intend evil......out of such evil.....God purposes good.

So although there was MUCH conflict in your country and many rotten people were involved in such conflict...........something GOOD did come out of it all;

The Canons of Dordt!

They are sound declarations and principles based on Biblical truth.

I have read them and they have provided sound Biblical texts to back them up.

Anyone is welcome to study the truth that has been set forth.

People may desire to push it away, or embrace it.

Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know--

this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death.

Thanks very much mioque! And God bless you! [​IMG] Regards, KJB

18. mioque

mioque New Member

If implies doubt. Even WHEN that is the case is better.

19. King James Bond

mioque,

Thanks! God bless you! [​IMG]

Regards, KJB

20. mioque

mioque New Member

No problem, just some mis-communication.