1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can't we all just get along...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rubato 1, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Ever hear the expression, "the Christian army is the only one that shoots its own wounded"? I wonder what would happen if we only discussed Bible verses and if at any time we felt that it was becoming too heated for a good Christian, both sides would go out soulwinning for an hour.

Should THIS be on the "clean humor" page?

We love to fight. Where did that come from?
    of course, the Truth is worth fighting for, but sometimes, we cannot see the difference between pointless arguing, and discovering truth. Our time could be better spent, right?

Is the type of arguing that Baptists are known for adventageous to God's work?

Do SBCers or IFBers fitgh more than others? [​IMG]
    Speak up. [​IMG]

P.S. I have noticed that the most popular topics are those that are the most argumentative...

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Because we are supposed to work towards the truth, and if there's a disagreement, then someone (or both) doesn't have the truth.

That being said, however, we are a family. As such, we should stand up for each other and put on a unified front to the world.

Sort of like, "I can beat my brother in the head, but don't you dare touch him!"

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly do you expect on a debate forum?

This is much better than 400 years ago when we would have burned thee at the stake (all in good Christian love of course).

Rob

4. Kilad

Kilad New Member

I think that it just shows that though we are saved we are still unable to overcome Human nature. Two of the areas that we are really seem to be unable to turn the other cheek is Politics and Religion. (that statement alone is a thread unto its self ;) )

How many times do we find ourselves in need of asking for forgiveness because of an arguement over God?

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Why do you think that debate is necessarily a sin? If we have a difference, a healthy debate is a good way to work toward the truth.

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Debate is a sin. A healthy discussion where error in belief systems is exposed is not sin but is contending for the faith. The error comes from following the doctrines of men who have their little formulas to try and substanciate their beliefs. Once those beliefs are confronted, then human nature, the sinful nature, comes into play and usually the natural man reacts carnally.

7. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Soul-winning ? Since I heard that Christ came to do the Father's will, that He and He only is the One who actually won souls.

(There, how do you like that for 'getting along').

9. mima

mima New Member

pinoybaptist: PROVERBS 11:30 has a phrase which says," and he that winneth souls is wise". Do you believe that this phrase refers to lord Jesus Christ and Him alone, or could this be referring to ordinary people? What is your take on this?

10. grahame

grahame New Member

When we became Christians then the debating should have been over. Although we should all earnestly contend for the faith, nevertheless we should love one another, for that is what Christ commanded. I remember reading something that Charles Spurgeon wrote. I can't remember it word for word, but he spoke of the type of preacher that no matter what he preached he thumped upon the pulpit. If he preached the gospel , he thumped and thumped. If he preached of love he thumped and thumped.
    If we cannot love one another, how do we expect to show love for the lost?

(Ephesians 2:14-16)

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It is sad when we can't get along.
    A lot of it is that people don't realize we are a family...we're brothers and sisters, and it's not us against us.
    Nobody likes to be told they're wrong, no matter how gently you do it or how right you are. There's not a lot of respect for other people. I just experienced that the other day...I tried to gently call someone out on a bad attitude and my whole life was attacked with sarcasm and hatred, and then I was told it was "defending her family" and a valid reason for the behavior.
    She meant blood relatives.
    You can't convince anyone that God family is just as important, and even MORE of an obligation.
    Respect for elders is becoming non-existant.

Why?

I think a lot has to do with the acceptance of false religion. The attitude is that it is ok, it adds to diversity to have false beliefs, and that's supposed to be good.

As far as the elderly, look at what we do with them! Instead of nursing homes and such being for families with a true problem caring for the person at home, it's turned into a normal way to deal with them. Instead of honoring the elderly, they're all too ofen separated from the general population and not held in regard. Of course that is needed in some situations, but as often as it is happening? No way!

Just look on this board. Trolls come on here all the time pretending they're something they're not. Sometimes it takes forever to catch them, but look at how much disruption they can cause in the meantime! And why are they successful? Because people allow them to be. A hallmark of a troll is discord. They wouldn't be successful if we didn't give in to pride and let them cause fights among ourselves.

Even without trolls, look how many people can't get along. Ideally, a Christian board would need moderators only for trolls. Unfortunately, I think the majority of moderator action is needed for the regular posters.

That's pretty sad.

What can we do to get along better? It's not just a small issue. It's all of the world working against the concept, and we seem to be losing. :( How do we turn the tide? Do we just give up and call it religious entropy? HA! Sorry, bad joke... HA!

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Gina:
    I am 67 does that mean I am about to be separated from the rest? I will kick all the way to a nursing home. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Soul-winning ? Since I heard that Christ came to do the Father's will, that He and He only is the One who actually won souls.

(There, how do you like that for 'getting along').
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, Christ is the only one who can actually save; however, what happens if you don't share the gospel with someone who is "predestined", and neither does anyone else? I would think that even Calvinists should follow the Great Commission to be on the safe side. If Christ expects us to spread the gospel, but we don't because we are under the impression that the saved are predestined anyway, how would/could we explain our actions on judgement day? When my son is being disciplined and tries to justify his actions by saying, "but I thought...", it doesn't make him any less wrong.

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'll come visit ya! [​IMG]

I've worked in nursing homes, I love old people like you Brother Bob!

LOL

Just teasing...

Seriously though, I have worked in them and while some family's are just excellent and caring, but far too many just put them in and never visit, don't provide them with anything extra like toothpaste or such. (we never made much money, but most of us still spent quite a bit so our resident's could have these "extras".)
    Then there's the ones that won't even come see the body. They'd say "call the state" and hang up.

I'm sure there's always been people like that, but they're quickly reaching non-minority status.

Can ya tell this is an issue that really gets me? GRRR!

Ok, don't wanna hi-jack the thread, so I'll stop now!

15. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Who was it .. Reinhold Niebuhr maybe .. who said, "Hold to Christ; for all else be uncommitted." Yes, I know, then you get into the who is Christ and how do we know about Him debates. But it still seems like a decent starting point.

And then there is that other quote I used to hear a lot .. about not being concerned about either the temperature of hell or the furniture of heaven. Hmm.

16. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Sounds like a debate to me. Sounds healthy unless it turns into an argument.

17. Kilad

Kilad New Member

Some good points Gina. I know a big problem with religion is that people are forming their worship to suit them rather than doing the necessary changing within themselves to suit God.

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't see disagreement or healthy debate as not getting along. Not getting along would be personal attacks, and those do happen here. But that should not keep us from discussions and healthy disagreements.

If you don't like disagreements, don't come to a debate thread!

19. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mima:

Winning souls unto God for eternity is Christ's prerogative and His alone. Not any of us can add or take to what He has already done.
    In that sense I do not believe in soul winning, because I do not believe preaching the gospel results in one's snatching any soul from the fires of God's wrath, neither does responding to the preaching do that.

I believe the gospel is to be preached as a declaration of a finished work of salvation already possessed by the child of God and brought to light by the gospel.

On the other hand, winning souls unto the kingdom, which is, instructing men in righteousness to the glory of God in the church, and winning souls back to the right and narrow way of obedience for that soul's blessing here on earth, in time, is how I view Proverbs 11:30.

20. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

But have you ever seen anyone move toward the truth because of a debate here?