1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Captain Obvious to the Rescue

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Dec 13, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.opinionjournal.com/federation/feature/?id=110009374

Captain Obvious to the Rescue
    The problem with the Iraq Study Group.

BY ROBERT TRACINSKI
    Tuesday, December 12, 2006 12:01 a.m. EST

EXCERPT

In my student days back at the University of Chicago, there was a campus comedy troupe modeled on Second City, their more well-known uptown uncle. The U of C group was pretty funny, if in a somewhat bookish way. (Who else does a comedy routine based on "Oedipus Rex"?) One of their funniest bits was a recurring skit about a superhero named Captain Obvious. In each scene, a character would face a mundane problem, only to be "saved" by the banal and utterly unhelpful advice offered by Captain Obvious. "I've locked my keys in my car. What am I going to do?" "Well then," replies Captain Obvious, "all you have to do is open the door to your car, and then you can get your keys." Each scene ended the same way, with Captain Obvious proclaiming, "No, don't thank me. It's all in a day's work for Captain Obvious.

I've been reminded of this skit many times since, because I frequently hear the same kind of advice being given in Washington. Take, for example, the recommendations offered, to much fanfare, by the Iraq Study Group.

The problem in Iraq is that we can't withdraw U.S. troops because the Iraqi military is not adequately trained to maintain security on its own? Well then, the ISG tells us, all we need to do is to train the Iraqi military so that they can maintain security on their own, and then we can withdraw our troops.

The problem in Iraq is that the Iraqi government won't approve a crackdown to dismantle the Shiite militias? Well then, all we have to do is to convince the Iraqi government to approve a crackdown to dismantle the Shiite militias.

The problem in Iraq is that Iran and Syria are arming, funding, and encouraging Sunni and Shiite insurgents? Well then, all we have to do is to convince Syria and Iran to stop supporting these insurgents.

The problem in the region is that the Palestinian-Israeli conflict inflames anti-American sentiment? Well then, all we have to do is to convene a conference to negotiate peace in the Middle East.

See how simple that was? It's amazing that no one ever thought of these ideas before the Iraq Study Group came along. But no, don't thank them. It's all in a day's work for Captain Obvious.

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

From the article:

"[FONT=Verdana, Times]Since Iran and Syria are the most important source of the chaos in Iraq, then we need to topple those regimes. They won't agree to help us, because doing so does not and never will serve their interests. So we have to replace them with governments that do share our interests--or at least, with governments that will stay out of our way."

Nice, so at least we know where Richard is coming from.. He just wants us to waltz over there and topple Iran and Syria, and then ALL our problems will go away....

And we're suppose to read this OPINON piece and agree with it?!?

What troops would we use to topple this two governments? How would this be accomplished? What would the rest of the world think, I mean, why stop there, let's just topple every government and make the WHOLE world American.... Oh, that's right.. that was tried once in Germany.

Do you agree with Richard in his assetment and the way he wants to handle this Carpro?

Jamie

Jamie

[/FONT]

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Not if you don't want to.

You don't have to read it, agree with it, disagree with , or discuss it. the choice is yours.

Which will it be?

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't think much of James Baker when he was someone. I now think less.

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

That's a nice way of side stepping it...

So do you think we should topple Iran and Syria?

If so, how and with what Army?

If not, why did you post the article?

Jamie

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely.

Who said we had to use anyone's army?

But, whether we "topple" them or not , we have to recognize they are the problem and pretending they are not is not a solution at all.

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I was hoping you wouldn't say that.. :( I think it's sad to think that you think we, America are suppose to be the world police. Where is that verse in the Bible?

We will have to use somebody's army. Ours is pretty much tied down at the moment. You don't think we can just "bomb" them and topple them and walk away do you?

But the article you posted said we have to topple them. It didn't say we needed to just reconize them as a problem, it stated we need to topple them. There is a difference you know. So do you agree that we need to topple them, or do you just want everyone to reconize them as a problem?

This article you posted is silly as best with that as the option.

Jamie

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Actually it said both.

Just an observation: You do, of course, remember that regime change in Iraq was a stated goal of the Clinton Administration. It's a cinch he never intended to use anyone's army, including ours. So it is possible.

The main thrust of the article is that the ISG's solutions in Iraq are simplistic and obvious. Just like it's obvious you don't want to deal with the real subject, preferring instead to pick an argument over a periphial issue.

OK. Consider it done, but you'll have to get back on topic now.

9. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

And Captian Obvious, if Bush asked him for advice...?

"It's quite simple. Don't start a war in Iraq in the first place. There's no compelling national interest in attacking Iraq, and you'll just kill a lot of Americans, and cause untold suffering and death in Iraq."