1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Car question....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Scarlett O., May 19, 2020.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I might be buying a new car and trading in my car in a few months. It's ten years old with 89K miles.

But - my original plan was to buy a new one with mine as a trade-in NEXT year when I turn 60. But the new car fever is burning on me right now.

My question - With my planning to detail the inside myself, what's the best overall cleaner for the inside of a car and any suggestions on getting it trade-in ready. It's not cruddy [LOL] - just the normal wear and tear.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use one of those basic bulk cleaners that you mix with water and put in spray bottle, like Simply Orange and grab a roll of paper towels and have at it. I use something like Windex on the windows.

Since you're trading it in you really don't have to do a fantastic job cleaning it since the first thing the dealer is going to do is send it to their person that cleans up trade-ins. I would vacuum it out really good, clean all surfaces with an all purpose cleaner and paper towels, and clean the windows. But that's about it.

If this was going to be marketed to a private party I would get out the toothpicks and Q-tips and dig out the grime in the crevasses and seams of the seats, dashboard, and console area. Maybe borrow or rent a carpet cleaner and shampoo the carpet and use the hand attachments to clean the seats. I also clean that spot on the seat belt you grab every time you buckle up. That area of the seat belt gets a dirty mark on it. I also use Q-Tips wetted with cleaner to clean the surfaces of the directional vanes inside the heater/ac outlet vents. I do get kind of anal about cleaning my vehicles.

Your car has low miles for a ten year old vehicle and the dealer will be salivating over it. Really, that low mileage is going to stand out like a beacon. It's a great time to buy a car as foot traffic has dwindled to just about nothing because of the pandemic. Dealers want to deal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will get nothing (really) for a trade in. Dealers build the trade in offer into the price of the car. See what they offer for trade in, with the low mileage you would get a better price selling yourself.

best of luck

peace to you

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would get a lot more in a private sale than you would as a trade in. Armorall is the best cleaner but any you find at the part store will do. Its not so much the cleaner and how well it does as it is how much attention you pay detail. Get all the cracks and crevises. If you have any stains on the carpets armorall cleaner works better than carpet shampoo.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, thanks for the extensive information. I didn't think about right now being a good time to trade-in.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, all! Good things to consider.

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scarlett, unless you are selling your used car privately the dealer will tell you that they look right through the dirt when appraising. You'd be wasting your time. You'd make more money for it if you spend your energy to pretend to walk because you don't think they are giving you enough for it. You'll never make it to the door before they better their offer. Anyway, my rule for buying a new vehicle is that you never get your best offer until you get up to walk! Tell them the payment is too high, the interest rate is too high, they aren't giving enough for your trade in and you're just starting to look, but heard about another dealer price that was better. :)

Other than that, I use Meguiars Automotive detailing supplies for shining up the dash and plastic, it works great. I love it, won't use anything else. I came across it after using Amour All on a new truck clear instrument panel cover and it fogged it up! I called Amour All and they told me to buy Meguiars compounds to fix it and they would reimburse me t he cost. I did and it worked. Then I tried their other products, my dash always looks better than when I left the dealer.

P.S. its probably a good time to buy right now...

#7 Benjamin, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is! I was surprised. We just got a good deal on a Sienna with 79k on it for this very reason I'm convinced (and the fact that I was able to write a check for it).

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I lived close I'd be tempted and I don't even need another automobile right now. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Trade in will rip you off. If you don’t want to sell it private party, follow this advice: When the dealer asks you what you want for your trade in value, add $3k to the top of the value. Then when the salesman laughs, just tell him that it’s a great car and you love it. He will take that to his boss. When he comes back, rather than offering you $300 for it he will start at $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you sell it privately, paint the black areas around the wiper blades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm tempted, because my truck is getting old, needs a lot of repairs, gets me to wonder am I better off keeping it or get something newer/better. Then I think of all the good times I had in my truck. Nah, I'll fix'er up instead!