1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Carnal Christians: Yes? No?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't have to. Almost every day I get complaints of one sort of another of the "carnality" posted on this board. Sometimes it is in the form of posts that need to be edited. Sometimes entire threads need to be shut down. Please don't tell me that there is no such thing as a carnal Christian when there is an overwhelming abundance of it posted on this board, so much so that many threads have to be completely shut down.

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you accused me of personal attacks and of "taking the word "carnal" out of Romans 8 and tried to define its usage in 1Cor.3 by its usage in Romans 8."

Actually, I did address it. You've yet to address the passage I cited from Romans.

And for the record, James didn't write Romans or 1 Corinthians.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is no false accusation here. The entire discussion revolved around 1Cor.3:3,4. I explained to you that words are defined by their context. You cannot define the word "carnal" as it is used in 1Cor.3 by the way it is used in Rom.8. They both have different contexts. How is that a personal attack. It is instruction. I explained to you that it is basic hermeneutics. That is not a personal attack. Where do you get that from?
    Again, I told you that Romans does not address 1Cor.3. You have not once addressed 1Cor.3:3,4. Why not? Why are you so apprehensive of directly dealing with the passage of Scripture under discussion? I will state again that 1Cor.3:3,4 cannot be rightly explained with Romans 8.
    No, he didn't. I didn't say he did. You asked a question about being at enmity with God. In fact it was a bold exclamation. I gave you the answer to it by quoting James 4:4. And then you had the audacity to say that James was not speaking to Christians. Again, no personal attacks. In each case you have not answered 1Cor.3:3,4. But you have come across with personal attacks in your posts.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If the argument here is about the word carnal one has to determined what exactly is meant by it in the context it is being used. Certainly in the Corinthian church there were those who was exhibiting traits of the lost (carnal) in certain of their actions.
    The passage in Romans 8 is talking about a carnal mind, not simply carnal actions. The carnal mind is one that has no desire to follow God and the things of God are foolishness to them. In the case of the Corinthian's in chapter 3 Paul is dealing with certain actions in certain believers that are carnal in nature and he names what they are, and if they are really saved they would deal with them once confronted or pointed out as such. One problem is however even though a person could be a Christian and exibit the things mentioned in chapter 3 it does not mean they are. It all depends on if they come out of these things once confronted. In fact in this case they must not have come out as we read in 2 Corinthians where Paul questions their salvation.

Also in chapter 6 Paul warns that there are certain actions where a person who claims to be saved those actions makes his/her claim false and those things are listed. He even goes so far as to warn them/us not to be deceived and think that this claim of carnality and salvation can be extended to every area of life or sin. It cannot.

So was there some carnal actions on the part of some in Corinth? Yes, but also true is that if they were engaged in anything mentioned in the list in chapter 6 they were not really Christians.

These are possible actions of a believer who is carnal;
    For ye are yet carnal: for whereas [there is] among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

These are those who are lost;
    Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

#44 freeatlast, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2011
  5. Winman

Winman Active Member

I agree with DHK also, although doctrine should not be a matter of popularity. But DHK showed scripture that I believe clearly says a Christian can be carnal. In fact, the word carnal is also translated "fleshly" and Christians are begged to abstain from "fleshly lusts".

1 Pet 2:11 Dearly beloved, I beseech [you] as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

The word "fleshly" here is the same Greek word translated "carnal". If a Christian cannot be fleshly or carnal, why would Peter beg (beseech) believers to abstain from fleshly lusts?

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I never mentioned James.

Actually, I haven't made any personal attacks.

DHK, are you a Christian?

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

This is over the line.

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How so? I'm not accusing him of anything. I'm just asking him a question.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, you are not.