1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cash/money cards in the USA

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by following-Him, Sep 5, 2010.

1. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Is it relatively easy to use these cards in the USA? Our travel agent is recommending we put money on such cards rather than use debit or credit cards which will incur bank charges and commission.

We had a similar problem a few years ago when in the USA, trying to find somewhere to cash our travellers cheques.

Any advise or information would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

following-Him

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

We have used them in limited ways and have not had a problem using them - until they got down to the last little bit of money and if I'm remembering right, that was a problem on several of them. It's been a while though and that might have been solved by now.

Last time we traveled with travelers cheques, we ran into a lot of problems with cashiers NOT having a clue what they were.

3. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated. We wondered if it might depend on where we are in the US? We will be travelling in Missouri and Arkansas and in some fairly remote places, so we don't know how practical this idea might be but it is what the travel agents are recommending/pushing over here.

Blessings

following-Him

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

If it says Visa or Mastercard on it, you won't have any problems. I wouldn't use a card that didn't have the logo for one or the other on it. Not here in the south.

I have a Walmart "moneycard" with a Visa logo that works just fine everywhere($3 a month/$3 to load). My own credit/debit cards that I have with my bank account are pretty much all I carry on me. (lol, I dont' even carry a purse anymore!) I do carry some cash with me too though when traveling "just in case".

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I have bought pre-paid money cards, Visa or Mastercard, so as not to carry cash around.

Some places are starting to refuse to take them. I'm not sure why. One retailer said his machine didn't "accept" them because they were considered gift cards and not real Visa/Mastercards.

I had no problem using the full amount on the first two I had. On the third one, once it got under $20, it wouldn't go through on transactions. I have had other people tell me this happened to them too.

For travel, why not consider spreading money around in different ways? That way you always have a back-up. Buy a money card. Divide some cash between you and whoever is with you. Consider opening a bank account with a very limited amount of money and using the bank card from there so you have yet a third option, then close the account when you return.

If anyone steals any one of those things, you still have something else to work with and you didn't lose it all.

And try to prepay everything you can. Like hotels and such, buy yourself gift cards for restaurants you may be going to, to a store you may need to buy stuff from that you weren't allowed to carry on the plane, etc. and don't store them all in one bag or wallet.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Quite honestly, I'd just use the credit cards since they are universally accepted (if they are Visa/Mastercard). American Express is accepted at the vast majority of places but not everywhere. You're going to pay a fee for a pre-paid credit card anyway so I'd just use what you have. I'd bring along the info on the card in case it gets stolen (phone number of the issuing bank) and bring two or three cards and don't carry them all with you at one time in case your wallet gets stolen or you lose it. You should do fine then.

7. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

You shouldn't have a problem using Visa or MasterCard credit cards. American Express is accepted pretty widely, just not as much as the others. Make sure you get some of our dollar coins. They're good to spend plus they make a nice souvenir.