1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Casualness toward God and His assembly?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Feb 22, 2005.

?
  1. I make at least as much of an effort to be on time for church as on time for work or school

85.7%
  2. It bothers me to see people habitually come to church or Bible Study late

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don’t <i>like</i> being late for church, but it’s a problem I have not worked on adequately

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am rarely late for church, and when I am it is for a valid reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I tend to ‘hang’ and talk with friends in classrooms or hallways when we need to get into our seats

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I tend to hang and talk with friends up until church is actually starting, but that’s alright; we’re

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I sometimes forego Wednesday night (or other time) services if asked to work overtime—this is provid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I read one or more newspapers daily

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I read the Bible daily

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I seldom open a Bible other than at church (if then)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I study the Bible almost daily, but largely because I am a teacher who must prepare

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I make plans weekly or more often for meeting my friends for leisure activities

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. I make plans weekly or more often for sharing the gospel

3.6%
  14. Witnessing or studying the Bible are what I might give some of my ‘free’ time for

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. “Free time—what’s <i>that</i>?”—I sometimes say this, as if to justify how little I do in some areas

3.6%
  16. I spend 2 hours or more weekly on certain hobbies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I spend 2 hours or more weekly on sharing the gospel, or seeking such opportunities

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. I am a minister, and I do not differentiate between ‘work time’ in sharing the gospel and ‘off time’

3.6%
  19. I try to combine leisure activities with working for the Kingdom when I can

3.6%
  20. I know I use my time the way God expects of me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. I leave much to be desired in making good use of my time serving God

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. I have no answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of these particular topics have been discussed in their own threads or polls, but putting them under one ‘umbrella’…

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Your polls make me tired reading and thinking through all the options [​IMG]

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm not sure how you can write into your schedule for times when God will send someone to you that you are to witness too. You don't just write in 1:00pm Monday witnessing, and go out find someone and witness to them, thats telling God who you want saved, instead of letting Him lead to who He wants to work with. I mean whose the leader me or God? If it is God I can't schedule Him.

4. Pete

Pete New Member

I'ld love to see Alcott's schedule for poll writing.. ;) I know I have to continually adjust my schedule to answer them ;) ;)

Another great one Alcott! [​IMG] God bless [​IMG]

5. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Alcott,
    Thanks for the poll. These issues have been troubling me in our church. Good to see how others think.
    WallyGator [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can plan a hunting trip, but you know don't exactly when, or if, the kill is going to be made.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well I got dizzy reading all the answers and felt a giant urge to go hug somebody else tonight! ;)

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

You can plan a hunting trip, but you know don't exactly when, or if, the kill is going to be made. </font>[/QUOTE]So tell me how do you plan to hunt people then?
    It seems more tring to force God's hand to me.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like missionaries. You plan where you are going to share the gospel, then you go there and start doing it. "There" might be a country, a city, or a particular street corner.

10. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't subscribe to the theory that not "dressing up" to go to church correlates to casualness towards God. I've heard some argue this, but I've never seen it personally. More importantly, there is no place in Scripture that supports this.

In addition, culture and climate play a big part in this. My experience is that in the warmer climate states - Florida, Arizona, California - people dress more casual all the time - not just when attending church.

Lastly, the whole issue of whether it is proper or not to shake hands or hug or whatever seems somewhat bizarre. In my world, one is almost always expected to both hug and kiss others on the cheek in social situations - yes, even at church.

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Casualness to God is not about dress, modes of greeting, etc. It is about the heart and how you approach worship of God. It is not even a Sunday issue, rather it is a daily moment by moment issue of how you live. The Pharisees were rebuked hard by Christ for having all the outside things right, but being dirty on the inside. I can show up to church in my best 3 piece suit, shake all the right hands, put a smile on my face, but on the inside if my life is not right before God, then it is all a waste.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think so either, but we are probably seeing this mostly from the inside (of our own group) out. The Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses maintain a deep level of commitment among their members, and when they come to your door or you see them outside peddling, they are going to be quite 'dressed up.' High standards do seem to be related to high levels of commitment. I was looking at the website of a large Conservative Jewish congregation recently, and I read that for recognition services, such as a bar-mitsvah, anyone coming to the platform to thank the congregation or make a congratulatory speech must be wearing a white shirt, tie, and dark jacket, as well as a tallet; or for women, a dress which covers the shoulders and is at least mid length. As Jews remain very rigid in their dedication to their principles, is there a relations with rigidity in dress and style? I really think so.

I am not reconsidering my position, but I trying to be objective in obsesrving that the 'other' position may have merit.

Nevertheless, that is an issue in many circles. On a Christian singles' web site, the host of a gathering said she wanted to "warn" anyone coming that they would get a big hug from her when they enter her house, because some members of her church criticize her for hugging single men there, saying it is improper, so she is going to do as inclined at her own home.

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, who has all the time to come up with that kind of survey? I didn't answer any of it, way too long. Guess I am too casual

14. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I think it is important to dress your best for God. Christ and Christians should beable to show the world that we do not change. 40 years ago people dressed for occasions such as weddings, funerals, church, etc. I have recently attended weddings and funerals where casual was the attire of the day.

It is a fact of life that one of the indicators of a nation becoming apathetic and are on the downward slide is the way in which they perceive themselves.

Down through the centuries Christians always wore their Sunday best. It is a way to show the world that not everything has to slip. We are different and have something the world needs.

Lets' stop dressing down to the worlds standards. Lets give them something to aspire to. We should dress our best for God. You can only make a first impression once.

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, just like after Peter had his vision of the sheet, and he was sent for by Cornelius' men, went back with them, was invited to speak the message he was supposed to have and he says, "Men, I am giving you something to aspire to-- get out of those togas and jeans and start wearing suits and ties." Yeah, that's the kind of makeover we need to urge them to, ain't it?

"Sunday best." Yeah, that made good sense when most people farmed, or the work in factories, mines, and even many offices was a lot tougher and dirtier. It was a relief to have a day off and to wear your best clothes that couldn't last through those kind of work days. The wealthy were the only ones who wore nice, expensive clothes almost every day. The book of James condemns giving a better status to someone who walks into the assembly and is dressed 'wealthy.' So there are 2 ways to make that a non-issue. One was the "Sunday best" idea, where the poor dressed like the rich for just one day a week. But it is cetainly as valid for the rich to dress like the poor at least when a comparison may be drawn. But to have an artificial class distinction where those who "dress up" are presumed to have more piety or to be more deserving of respect, is the thing in our day which does not present anything biblical to 'aspire to,' although such aspiration is often done for the wrong reasons.

16. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Alcott,
    There is nothing wrong with wearing your best for God dispite your thoughts on class warfare. You are talking about the farm class that supposedly couldn't wait till Sunday to wear their good stuff. I submit to you that people dressed for church and didn't do it to be like the rich. They did it out of respect for God and His house.

Dress down if you want to but don't justify yourself by trying to make the rest of us the bad guys'.

Alot of people have gone away from dressing for God and I think it is too bad. There was a time not too long ago that God was respected.

A preacher used to walk in on a card game or a group of men drinking and they would at least hide their cigarettes and beer out of respect for his office. Now days the man of God is ridaculed on all sorts of sitcoms and just made out to be the fool.

Today its up is down and down is up. Right is wrong and wrong is right.

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know the sky would fall because people don't 'wear their best for God.' The James passage instructs to not show favoritism to those who are better dressed. If that enters into your presumptions as to who has respect for God and who doesn't, I think that is a violation of this scriptural instruction. If your church is taking nominations for deacon, for example, and your determining factor in submitting someone's name is whether he wears a coat and tie, that is extraneous to anything biblical. Or, would you nominate someone who, for instance, had unruly children [did not rule his family well, per I Timothy 3, but met the other requirements] as long as he wore that coat and tie?

18. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Alcott,
    I am not advocating people to wear their best in order to up their standing in the church or to impress any other christians. I am saying we should wear our best for God. He gave His best for us. It is the least we can do. If your best is jeans and a clean t-shirt, wear it. If it is a suit and tie, wear it.

Christianity has really taken a turn to the world. I don't know how long you have been a christian, but I remember a time when people wanted to dress for God. Today they come in with bellie shirts and short skirts. These things are distracting to a man and not God honoring. I have seen men come in with Budweizer t-shirts or AC/DC logos on their shirts. I don't and won't believe that these folks are wearing their best.

That being said, go ahead and justify dressing down for services. It can't legitimately be done. We wear our best for God not to impress each other, but to show the lost that we have something they need.

When they come in we accept them as they are. After a time the Holy Spirit gets ahold of them and they want to dress better.

God doesn't change. Why do we keep slipping?

19. Gib

Gib Active Member

I've never seen these t-shirts being worn in church. I would think those who would, don't have a very serious relationship with God. Even if they have it, I don't think God is worried about what they wear.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think theres a problem with those who think God is unapproachable unless you dress up for the occasion. Well, I never had to get dressed up in clothes I couldn't afford to approach my earthly father. And if you say we have to dress up to approach God where does that leave people who can not dress up, they apparently can't go to God becasue they can't dress up to suit other christians.
    It isn't God who says we must dress up for Him, it is people, man, who says we must be able to dress up if we want to go into God's presence.
    No scripture to support this.