1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Categories of "One Bible, Many Versions" view

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Jan 15, 2021.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have categorizations of "KJV Only" (JR White, p. 23ff) and even a set of definitions here on BB. But what are the categorizations of the preferences of those who use other versions? I am thinking there are Majority Text only and Critical Text only -- that is, some of you are going to want a translation that is only based off one or the other of these. Then I assume there are preferences based on the type of translation, such as formal vs. dynamic. While you may all agree on not being KJV-Only, you obviously don't all agree on which translation is the best and how to choose it. How would YOU categorize the "One Bible, Many Versions" view?

Thanks.

#1 rlvaughn, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that you have outlined here 2 clear areas of differences between Christians, as indeed its the Greek source texts, and the philosophy of translation!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer a Majority Text first, then a Textus Receptus, but will also use the latest Critical Text 3rd.
    I like formal translations, then formal translations, then formal translations.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any MT bible translations?

• Like Like x 1
  5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The World English Bible is supposed to be an update of the 1901 ASV, with the NT conformed to a Majority Text. Also there is the English Majority Text Version New Testament translated by Paul W. Esposito. I think there is an English translation of the 1904 Byzantine text used by the Greek Orthodox Church, as well as a translation by Wilbur Pickering of his majority text.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We may not have one translation. In my view it is the word of God he gave in the original autograhes.
    Psalms 119:89, 1 Peter 1:24-25, "For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you."

Textual variants are over which are the original word given.

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    37818, would you clarify what you mean in these two statements. For example, by the first do you mean no one should just use only one translation, or something else? On the second, I'm just not getting what you mean there. Thanks!

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use the KJV. For me there is no modern translation that has it. The NKJV has new problems.
    in the NT variants way too much disagreement.

10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would be nice to have the Web bible put into a book form!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really, as there is substantial agreement regardless which greek text used !

14. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. But it is very, very literal and I believe very accurate. I prefer KJV and William Tyndales translations. I do read occasionally from the ALT.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about the web bible?

16. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought the WEB bible to be well done.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent and thoughtful opening post! Thank-you!

1) I prefer the CT, but the MT (as presented in the World English Bible) may occupationally make the correct choice. I exclude the TR that differs from the MT.

2) I am with Conan, formal translation efforts are my preferred versions. But certainly more liberal versions (ESV, NIV, NET, NLT) can sometimes make clear what the formal translation made obscure.

3) My go to study bible is the NASB95 as I have yet to purchase the latest version. And of course I compare it with several others, notably the KJV, NKJV, WEB, NRSV, ESV, LEB, NET, NIV and NLT.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that one should avoid the Nas 2020, as it appears to be the nas version of the Niv 2011!

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, very much the same sort of book, page after page with words.

20. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread never gained much traction, with little apparent interest in categorizing Bible views that are not “KJV-Only.” This morning I ran across a writing that had classified “ESV-Only,” styled after categorizations of “KJV Only” by James R. White (his book, p. 23ff). The following was written by Christian McShaffrey, a minister in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church and Textus Receptus advocate. He writes, “Most of my ministerial peers in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church use the English Standard Version in their public preaching and teaching. Some of them have asked me, ‘Are you KJV-only?’”

ESV-Onlyists Categorized
    Following the noble example of Dr. [James R.] White, I would never lay the “___-only” charge without making proper prior distinctions, so here are the categories I will keep in mind as I begin my “ESV-only” inquisition:

Group #1: “I Like the ESV” – This group of individuals believes the ESV is the best English translation available today.
    Group #2: “The Textual Argument” – This group believes the underlying Hebrew and Greek (i.e., the Eclectic Text) text of the ESV is superior to the Byzantine/Majority/Received text.
    Group #3: “Critical Text Only” – This group has tentative certainty that the Hebrew and Greek text from which the ESV was translated is in the process of being providentially preserved.
    Group #4: The Formal Equivalence Convert – After using the near-paraphrase NIV, individuals in this group have realized that it is better to translate scripture on more thought-for-thought basis.
    Group #5: The Good Customer – Individuals in this group simply responded as good American consumers to the greatest Bible marketing campaign ever seen in the evangelical world: ESV.ORG

Notice once again that there is no equivalent of a Ruckmanite movement included in the above options. Again, the well-educated demographic of ESV users seems to preclude the very possibility.

At the same time, and especially in regard to 1 and 5, let me suggest that some ESV readers might be as intellectually lazy as the Ruckmanites.

• Like Like x 1