1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Categorizing Fairly

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've done this kind of thing before -- but since there are a lot of new folks on the BB as members and lurkers I will review some things.

I have repeatedly pointed out that the TNIV has a balanced translation philosophy.Several other versions are of the same general type.

I will list just ten versions and assign a numerical value to each.I'll start at the top with the most formally-equivalent translations and work my way down to the more functionally-equivalent ones.

NASBU : 10
    NKJ : 15_____________
    ESV/NRSV : 20
    ISV/HCSB : 25 Sub-group
    TNIV : 30
    NET Bible : 35
    NLTse : 40_____________
    CEV : 60

The number 35 is at the midway point.In this case the NET Bible is dead center.In the subgrouping the TNIV is right in the middle.In other words it's average in this sense.It's not overly formal nor overly dynamic.

2. Abell

Abell New Member

Hey Rippon

I have a couple of questions for you concerning your numbering system. Upon what do you base the number values? Is this information from another source? If it is, would you cite the source?

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The numbering system is from my fertile mind due to my exposure to the various versions mentioned.It's purely of my own construction and subject to possible error.

Did you notice that I think the NLTse is closer to the CSB and ISV than the CEV?

4. Abell

Abell New Member

Rippon
    If you don't mind me asking, what are your credentials for being able the number the different translations as you have? I mean, do you have a formal education concerning the differences in formally-equivalent translations when compared to functionally-equivalent translations? Something more than "exposure"?

I would also like to know how your fertile mind developed this numbering process. How do the various translations earn points in your system?

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

In other words, even though you come across as presenting facts, you're actually presenting nohing but your own opinions. Interesting...

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have trouble reading.I had said that "it's purely of my own construction and subject to possible error."How much more explicit do I have to be to get the idea across that it is my own subjective opinion?

However,I have surely been more fair than you have been in classifying these things.You have the tendency to repeat wrong things on a regular basis.You need to study for yourself.You need to actually read these various versions instead of presenting misinformation.

But I have the feeling that you will go on your merry way and continue to misrepresent the TNIV and NLTse as well.You would like to pretend that a big gulf exists between the TNIV and CSB for instance.You constantly repeat the falsehood that the NIV/TNIV are dynamic-equivalent translations.

You enjoy your role as an anti-KJVO spokesperson.Yet some of the same logical errors they make -- you also fall prey to.Be consistent.

7. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahh! Just another wonderful Christlike post between Christians! Rippon,I asked you for an apology on another thread a few weeks ago. Did you just ignore that on purpose?

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

My, my, my...why the personal attacks, the pride and the arrogance, Rippon? Afraid someone else may be right while your opinion is proven wrong? Such pride and arrogance you display! That's why I normally keep you on my ignore list. You're more opinionated than many of the KJVOs who post their false beliefs here. All I ever saw you contribute before I put you on ignore was nothing but your own opinions stated as if they were fact, Rippon. Apparently nothing has changed, so I'll continue to leave you on my ignore list.

You have an extremely bad habit of belittling and demeaning those who disagree with your opinions, Rippon. Your pride constantly gets in the way of your objectivity. You really should get some help for that, or else it will continue to get worse and worse if left untreated.

As for your false contention that the NIV/TNIV aren't dynamic eauivalence translations, let's see what the preface to the NIV says.

The emphasis on "thought" and "meaning" would indicate to any normal reader of reasonable intelligence the goal of the NIV translators was a thought-for-thought, or dynamic equivalence, translation of God's word. Why would you elevate your errant opinion over the facts as presented in the NIV preface, Rippon? Why do you label fact as falsehood? As a matter of fact, Rippon, it's your errant opinion that's false.

Rippon, you misrepresented the NIV/TNIV with the errant claim they're not dynamic equivalence translations, despite what the preface to the NIV says. You just can't accept fact when it differs with your own opinion. I'm praying for you, Rippon.

BTW, I don't recall ever making any comment on the NLTse. Did you manufacture that just like you manufacture your own opinions?

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! You're a riot."I'm going to put Rippon on mun ignore list.I will ignore him from now on.I really mean it this time.Do you hear me Rippon?I will ignore you.Pay attention to what I am telling you."

Is that a fact?:)

Why continue to pay attention to me me by telling everyone that you intend to ignore me?A person who really wants to ignore someone else would just do it quietly -- with no fanfare.But you mention it three times in thisn post of yours.

Like we are all blind to how you treat Salamander and others on this list and other forums?

No,your characterization of the NIV/TNIV is untrue.

Not a single mention of dynamic-equivalence can be found in the Preface of the NIV and TNIV.That's a fact.

You really need to study more.Eugene Nida would not consider the NIV and TNIV as dynamic-equivalent versions.He's the one who came up with the term.If you want to speak intelligently about the matter deal with the actual dynamic-equivalent versions such as the CEV,NCV and TEV.Then we will give you credit for thinking things out for a decided change.

Coming from you and the kind of attitude you maintain in this last post of yours -- you are being transparently patronizing.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Gonna close this one - it has degenerated into a personal fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.