1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholic Bashing Threads/Posts

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by GodlyWoman, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodlyWoman

GodlyWoman New Member

I've visited the forum many times over the past few years. I've been hesitent to join until now mainly because of all the Catholic bashing threads that I've seen here.

I must say that I'm both appalled and shocked to see people who call themselves Christians attack the Catholics the way they do. This is NOT good Christian behavior.

Jesus taught us to love one another He never forced Christianity upon anyone. IMHO, you people should be loving, considerate, and tolerant. Those of you who engage in the Catholic bashing and those who condone it are insecure about your beliefs and faith.

Do you not stop to think BEFORE you bash? Do you think any Catholic would want to converto to Protestantism, especially the Baptist faith after reading such "bashing" material? I'm sure many would look at that and say, "If that's what it means to be Protestant or Baptist then I want no part of it."

Not to mention, how do you think the Catholic bashing makes you people look to other Baptists and Protestants who are nice to Catholics aside from loving, considerant, and tolerant towards them? Do you honestly think they see you in a good light? Most likely not.

Quite honestly, if you people think God and Jesus would condone the Catholic bashing that goes on here then you have no rights calling yourself a Christian. God and Jesus wouldn't condone the bashing. By bashing Catholics and condoning the bashing of Catholics, you people aren't being very Christ-like. and we should all strive, as Christians, to be Christ-like on a constant basis.

So many of you don't like Catholics, BIG DEAL!... Do you honestly have to bash them over and over again to the point you like to draw blood over it? Maybe someone should bash your religion like that. Let's see how you people would like that. I bet you'd hate it and feel upset about it? Right? Well, that is how Catholics who visit here and read that feel about it.

If you're going to debate about Catholics and Catholicism then be nice, open-minded, and civil. Let Catholics have a chance to dialogue and defend their faith in the same you'd want to defend your faith. Once you close them out, you make it all very one-sided and not fair to the true spirit of conversation and debate.

{edited by Frogman to remove unnecessary, offensive wording}

#1 GodlyWoman, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2007
  2. standingfirminChrist

We do not bash Catholics.

We denounce and uncover the heretical teachings that their church teaches them.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is not a case of "don't like Catholics". Many here have family that are Catholic and friends - co-workers, neighbors etc that are Catholics and I dare say that they are "liked" as well.

When you see the RCC (Roman Catholic Church) having it's dark-ages history brought to light and it's doctrines held up to sola-scriptura accountability you are seeing the SAME rule applied to the RCC as would be applied to any non-RC group.

Take it from me - I am one who gets highlighted from time to time on this board just like the RCC. If you argue that limiting RC participation on this board is unfair to RC members when RC topics come up - I can agree with you. But your focus is that in the discussions the facts themselves are not flattering to an RC POV.

While I admit that people "can" go to an ad hominem unproductive extreme in voicing dissent - I would also point out that 90% of what you see in opposition to the RCC on this board is opposition to doctrine, or it is a negative conclusion about some protastants getting tortured or "exterminated" in dark-ages history.

Admitting to the history of the Dark Ages is NOT the same thing as saying "I don't like Catholics".

Dissecting the doctrinal positions of the RCC is also not the same thing as saying "I don't like Catholics".

If you visit RCC websites or discussion boards you will very often find that any negative review of Catholic doctrine by holding it accountable to "sola-scriptura" standards OR holding the RCC accountable to a fair and factual review of it's actions in the dark ages is labeled "Catholic bashing". But that is not usually done by those who are open to a fair discussion of the facts.

The fact is in my case - I DO like Catholics and I DO consider them Christian.

But I am also focused on "details" even when they are "inconvenient"

in Christ,

Bob

#3 BobRyan, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2007
  4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is very important to distinguish between false doctrine and people. We don't attack the person. But false doctrine (of whatever religion it belongs to) needs to be exposed.
    I am concerned for the people that are confused in heresies that will eventually send them to hell. And that is the truth.

5. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Godly Woman -- I'm certain there are examples you could point to. Rather than paint with a wide brush, would you be specific?

Both BobRyan and DHK have expressed my own feelings -- doctrinal differences cannot be ignored, and often are discussedd with ferver. And, the written words cannot convey the feelings that face-to-face displays which means they often sound harsher.

Perhaps we could address specific threads?

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was raised when I was young in a Catholic home. I had first communion before we were saved and left the Catholic church. I, however, chose to go to Catholic school from 7th grade through 12th grade and have many friends who are Catholic - including a pair of very good friends who married and he's now a deacon in the Catholic church.

What would Christ do? He would point out the heretical teachings just as He would for any other group. Yes, we should love these people who are in the church but that doesn't mean we won't expose the lies and wrong teachings that are going on in there - just as we would for ANY church that taught something that was against Scripture.

This is a Baptist board. It's not a Catholic board or even an "all inclusive" board. Catholics are welcome to post here - as long as it's not in any of the Baptist only forums. BUT, there will be people who will argue against tradition, against man-made rules and regulations so most Catholics wouldn't be comfortable here for long. That's OK. I'd not be comfortable on a Cathlic site - so I don't go there.

You must know that not everyone who claims to be a Christian is one. Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons consider themselves Christians - yet they both have a different Jesus in mind when they speak of him. It is very important that we embrace truth rather than "tolerance". Jesus was not about tolerance but about truth and a relationship with Him.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

We did have a few threads started recently that were very anti-catholic, but the person that started them got NO support (much to her chagrin) and she was banned in pretty short order.

According to my feeble memory anyway . . .

8. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Amen!

It seems like there are people here who want to spend a great deal of time venting their bad feelings personal feelings toward Catholics, and encouraging others to feel the same way.

If people talked about me like some people talk about Catholics all the time here, I would not want to hear what they have to say. People say spiteful things about Catholics in a spiteful tone, and they seem to care nothing for Catholics real beliefs and motives. `What is that religious system that motivates you to be so hateful? I want nothing to do with it.'

Often times, I think it has nothing to do with seeking to `oppose Catholic errors' and `rescue people.' If it was, there would be more care, concern, and compassion for Catholics. I think most often, that is just a front for venting spiteful personal feelings and trying to spread them.

It amazes me how so many people claiming affiliation with a variety of Christian groups think that Christ's standards can be set aside when dealing with `those in error.' The fact is that Christ never made exceptions to when His standards for our conduct are binding. Christ is never served by `suspending' His teachings for our conduct.

There are times when it is good to discuss religious disagreement. If a religious tenet is believed wrong, it should shown why. The people holding those views, however, should never be subjected to sub-Christian conduct.

#8 Darron Steele, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2007
  9. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Godly Woman,

We dont "bash" Catholic people. We expose the heretical, ungodly, and idolatrous doctrines, teachings and beliefs of the Catholic Church, Orthodox, and some extremely liberal protestant groups.

Jesus Christ very much approves of our exposing grievious error, idolatry, heresy and blasphemy in any group where it exists.

Are you familiar with the following passage of scripture? Jesus is speaking here...

We are called to speak the truth, in love. And we are called to "contend earnestly" for the truth.

And that includes when discussing these issues with these dear Catholics, Orthodox and ultra-liberal protestants who are caught in such blasphemous error.

God bless,

Mike

10. GodlyWoman

GodlyWoman New Member

Ain't that the truth?

11. standingfirminChrist

There is one thing I agree with in Darron's post.

We do not care for the Catholic's beliefs... especially when the belief is leading them away from the truth.

12. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

That is evident in the fact that so many will bash them for beliefs that they do not even have.

`We do not care what they believe. We are just going to attack. If they do not actually believe that, we do not care.'

I see that attitude a lot.

13. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Agreed.

However, His commands for how we treat people are never to be `suspended.'

It is my firm belief that Catholic errors can be opposed while treating Catholics according to Christ's teachings.

14. GodlyWoman

GodlyWoman New Member

I'm sorry many of you HAVE chosen to bash Catholics the way you do and am even more sorrier that some of you approve of it. IMHO, it's very unChrist-like, very unChristianly, and wouldn't be condoned by Christ or God for that matter.

IMHO, I think Catholics do a better job at being more Christ-like and Christianly than you folks. They are als far more loving, considerate, and tolerant than many folks at the BB. Catholic Answers is far better than BB. At least the Catholics don't constantly go around bashing Protestants there in the same way the Protestants bash them here.

I'll be praying for you folks.

Until then, I hope you enjoy wearing your self-centered, "Let's BASH Catholics!" hat.

15. standingfirminChrist

You have posted this same post in three threads. You need a new line.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Now lets turn the tables. First of all, I do not know how many threads I have battled posters who say Catholics cannot make it to heaven for this reason or that. At the same time, I have battled many over closed communion.

Why is it that I have heard the same from some Catholics face to face? Why is that they think all Protestant/Baptists are heading for hell becuase they worship in an apostate church? Why is it that Catholics insist on closed communion?

If you were really interested in mutual respect and consideration, then why not bring out both sides of the bashing question, and eliminate it on both sides.

There will be plenty of Baptists and Catholics in hell. Why? Because of what they did with Jesus Christ.

I cannot imagine going to a Catholic board, and get all bent out of shape because they post messages that are not kind to Baptists or Protestants.

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

SN has some good points.

BUT I do want to reiterate, that the biggest concern I have frequently around here is not necessarily what is said, but how it is said.

We are read by the world. Posts from this board pop up in all kinds of searches on all kinds of topics. I think we can be firm, truthful, to the point and even loving at the same time.

18. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Having just visited Catholic Answers, I suggest you visit more of this board and believe you'll find greater similarities between the two. As you have found detractors of your faith here, I found detractors of my faith there. It appears both sets of posters are mere men.

Perhaps by quietly refuting based on scriptures and faith, greater understanding can be achieved -- by not expecting to change another's views, just sharing our own.

As the moderator pointed out -- crossing limits does result in removal.

19. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

GodlyWoman...crossposting is against the rules of this board, i.e. posting the same thing on more than one thread.

Your profile says 'Christian' and you are not attending church.

Can you answer this question truthfully? Are you Catholic?

If not, what denomination are you...besides Christian?

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Look - None of us who know the Word of God and follow it as the only source of truth will accept a church that teaches what is outside the Word AND has teaching that is AGAINST the Word. We will not partner with churches who teach heretical and erronious teachings. Period. I know many in the Catholic church - I live in an area that is predominately Catholic and I know that these people are NOT believers. They believe in the Church - they believe in the sacriments - they believe in things that are just wrong. I DO think that there are some who ARE saved in the Catholic church but certainly not everyone is (just like not everyone who is in the Baptist church are saved).

Godlywoman - I just also want to ask you why you keep saying "Jesus and God", "God and Jesus"? Do you not believe that Jesus is God?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.