1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholic Bashing Threads/Posts

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by GodlyWoman, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Amen.

It drives me batty that people who claim to follow Christ do not see this, and when shown this, steadfastly refuse conform.

It is simple: if it would be a sin in the world, then it is a sin when done `for the Lord.'

Doing what Christ told us not to do, while under pretense of serving Him, actually blasphemes Him.

We need to conduct ourselves like followers of Christ. That means holding our conduct up to the standards He set for us. That applies to our treatment of people, including Catholics whom we widely disagree with.

#101 Darron Steele, Dec 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2007
  2. Joe

Joe New Member

Personally, I think it is a heardened heart which causes this condition.
    Yet we must stand for truth in love.
    This verse also comes to mind.

Proverbs 8:9- Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you. Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning."The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Jesus said must follow the two greatest commandments of all, love our God with all our heart and love our neighbor as ourself. All other commandments hinges on these two.
    Ephesians 4:15; 5:11 - We should speak the truth in love.

3. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Agreed.

It seems like a lot of people want to disregard the "in love" part and claim that they are still doing what these passages say.

They want to oppose the religious tenets AND be spiteful to the people who hold them. They want to present accurate religious tenets, show the wrongness of errant religious tenets -- and add unnecessary personally nasty comments about the people holding those views.

The two great commands were preached by Jesus Christ in Matthew 22:37-40. He also preached Luke 6:31 "Treat others exactly as you would have them treat you” (NBV).

Christ also said "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments" (NASB). It makes an unpleasant statement when professing Christians refuse to follow His teachings on how to treat people they disagree with.

#103 Darron Steele, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2007
  4. Joe

Joe New Member

Wise Words :thumbs: Keep it balanced

Just a few days or so ago, there was a thread pertaining to hair length which made me mad. I posted back throwing a fit. The following day, when I read it, it seemed quite humorous.

We all faulter, and we all need a Savior. Yet we must stand for truth in love :godisgood:

#104 Joe, Dec 27, 2007
  5. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Well, I agree about the "nasty comments about people" part, but it seems to me that some of this criticism is regarding calling things WHAT..THEY...ARE. I believe we should always be civil and loving with people, but there is a time and place for everything, and sometimes the loving thing is to be BLUNT and tell it LIKE IT IS.

Paganism is...PAGANISM. And we can and should call it that. Idolatry is...IDOLATRY, and we can and should call it that.

And I dont believe it is "unloving" to share with someone that if they do that they ARE an idolater. (or pagan)

I've posted this recently, and I'll post it again.

Was Jesus at fault when He said THIS to some people He was speaking with...

Was Christ being unloving?

I THANK GOD that there were some people back 25 years ago who told me...lovingly...that I was hell bound and a sinner, and needed to repent, embrace Christ and be born again.

Mike

#105 D28guy, Dec 27, 2007
  6. standingfirminChrist

Amen!!

Unfortunately, so many don't want to be told they are in sin. So many want to wear those filthy rags of unrighteousness and the stench of sin and still be accepted of God.

7. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't "bash" any religion, and I don't see anyone else doing it. We are a Bible-based doctrinal group, and Baptists try very hard to emulate the New Testament church. The Roman-based church PERSECUTED the real church because they wouldn't pray to the Pope, and they didn't believe in infant baptism, so THEY BURNED THEM AT THE STAKE AS HERETICS. Baptists ARE NOT PROTESTANTS - we did not break away from the Catholic church, WE WERE NEVER A PART OF IT. We don't believe that you have to be a Baptist to get to Heaven, but this pope has stated publicly that you must be Catholic to make it to Heaven.

So who is right? Obviously, they aren't. Jesus didn't mince words, and he also told his disciples to get out there and preach the gospel.

You have to stand for what is right. Political correctness is KILLING this nation.

Debbie Mc

8. standingfirminChrist

The Lord Jesus Christ and God would not condone bashing Catholics... true. But they would condone unmasking the iniquity found in the Catholic religion. They would be in the front of the Battle against that den of iniquity too.

9. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Godly Woman,

When did the evangelical/protestant church ever murder Catholics by the millions because they would not become protestants...as the Catholic Church is guilty of regarding protestants? Torturing them. Burning them at stakes.

You call that "loving", "considerate" and "tolerant"???

"When did the evangelical/protestant church ever murder Catholics by the millions because they would not become protestants...as the Catholic Church is guilty of?

Talk about "bashing"! :eek:

Pray for the idolatrous and murderous Catholic "church". It needs it.

Mike

10. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. We can see the history of the RCC in the dark ages - and it ain't pretty. Even the RCC was poised to confess to this at the turn of the century.

#2. We can discuss the doctrines of the RCC and point out where they are in error according to scripture.

But beyond that - I don't think we gain anything by calling them names and making claims about their salvation status "just because someone is Catholics".

Christ had infallible and infinite wisdom guiding him in all that He did -- he could make charges against the leaders of the one true nation-Church started by God at Sinai. I don't think we can take that position as God and also label anyone we feel like labeling as "hypocrit" or as "lost".

We can point the way to the Gospel - the way to salvation and we can point to a correct understanding of scripture and we can give our own testimony of how this has worked for us.

We can also point to specific details of scripture proving our claim to find doctrinal errors in the denomination/church being discussed.

I don't think that real evangelism will let us go much beyond that.

in Christ,

Bob

11. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

So on the basis of things that happened centuries ago, and/or in other parts of the world, you are willing to make nasty statements about Catholics in general -- including ones that live in your town?

Looks like a grudge to me.

`They did it to us, so we can do it to them' is NOT the way of Christ.
    Luke 6:35 "But love your enemies, and do them good, and lend, never despairing; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be sons of the Most High: for he is kind toward the unthankful and evil" (ASV).

Romans 12:17 "Render to no man evil for evil. Take thought for things honorable in the sight of all men" (ASV).

1 Thessalonians 5:15 "See that none render unto any one evil for evil; but always follow after that which is good, one toward another, and toward all" (ASV).

1 Peter 3:9 "not rendering evil for evil, or reviling for reviling; but contrariwise blessing; for hereunto were ye called, that ye should inherit a blessing" (ASV).​
    I do not think that Christ, Paul, and Peter were `blowing smoke.'

Furthermore, most Catholics here in the United States are probably not your enemy on their own volition. It looks like some of you have chose to deem them your enemies.

12. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Christ was not being unloving. Christ, being able to read minds, was able to say these things. He was able to speak with 100% accuracy about the people He was talking about.

Guess what: He never once told us to speak to others like He did to the Pharisees.

You, and I, and folks like you and I, cannot read minds. We are not told to talk to people like this.

Christ did not use the sharp tongue every time He could have.
    Jesus said only what was NEEDED.

Now, it is good that a person told you that you were a sinner, Hell-bound, needed to repent and come to Christ. I assume s/he stopped there, saying what needed to be said out of genuine care for you.

It is probably good that this person did not berate you in third person about how you were a "paganist," "idolater," "butcher," and whatever other derogatory designation s/he could come up with. I doubt any of these statements about you would have been true.

I find the rationalizations I see here disgusting. `We need to tell unbelievers that they are sinners and Hell-bound, and that is unpleasant -- so there is no reason at all to say the nastiest things about them that we can come up with.' Nonsense.

Christ told us how to treat people -- Matthew 23:37-39, Luke 6:31, etc.. The fact that we sometimes have to tell them truths about their status before God that they do not want to hear does not mean we get to disregard Christ's teachings.

#112 Darron Steele, Dec 27, 2007
  13. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I am getting the impression that some here hate Catholics more than they love Christ.

Rather than simply do as He commanded of us -- and simply avoid doing the opposite -- they keep wrangling for reasons to assert it is `okay' to do what He did not tell us to do.
    Why not simply do as Christ taught us, and not look for reasons to do the opposite.

#113 Darron Steele, Dec 27, 2007
  14. Joe

Joe New Member

Amen Bob :thumbs:

To the others, why are we debating something (name calling) which is forbidden on this message board? :confused:

#114 Joe, Dec 27, 2007
  15. Joe

Joe New Member

This is not real life. We can't surmize the situation as effectively. We are not sinless perfection like Jesus

We are not Jesus, we are his followers.

Children as young as 14 post here. They are children. We do not know whether we are talking to kids until we get to know them, period. Ask questions, socialize with the person before going off like a rabbid animal on them. How convoulted!

Also, the two recent visitors who are into Catholic Doctrine are woman. How dare the men attack the women in this way :BangHead: Jesus related to men and women differently. Unless someone is promoting something that could potentially really hurt another person, have patience.

#115 Joe, Dec 27, 2007
  16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And he is our example. Jesus rebuked and condemned sin over and over again. Have you not read:

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Has anyone here used language that strong against the Catholics.

How about here:
    Matthew 23:13-17 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
    14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
    15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
    16 Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!
    17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?

Have any of us used language this sharp against the Catholics? Yet Jesus is our example isn't He?

What about Paul?
    Acts 13:10 And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?

He was such a loving man wasn't he?

The point is that the Bible commands one to point out error when that error will lead one to eternal condemnation, and that is what Catholic doctrine will do.

17. Joe

Joe New Member

It seems you are cherry picking verses. Did you read all of the posts? This isn't black and white. Each situation is different. As Jesus responded to each situation differently. We can't just grab one instance and ingnore the others.

Maybe I'll post the BB rules as a refresher. Hope I am misunderstanding. Not the first time.

You don't know who will be saved. But I agree, it certainly looks that way. We have an obligation to point out the errors of their doctrine to save their souls. No one has disputed this.
    Stand for the truth in love :godisgood: Balance is key

#117 Joe, Dec 27, 2007
  18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

19. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Darron,

And I havent seen anyone here as extreme as Christ, including myself. My point was not that we should be *precisely* as sharp as He was in that passage, only that we are called to speak the truth, in love. And sometimes that means calling things...what...they...are.

One does not have to be a mind reader to see that the Catholic Church, as one example, is filled with paganism, idolatry, heresy, and goddess worship. All one has to do is read their official pronouncments, explanations, and prayers...and compare those things to the truth found in scripture.

Sharing the difference between what these groups teach and the scriptures is not being "unloving". It is being very loving.

Mike

20. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here you revealed a great ignorance and misunderstanding about the differences.
    Galatians : Did they ever call Mary the Mother of God? Did they make statues and worship them? Did they ever claim the Purgatory? Did they have a Papacy? Did they have the Mass ( Sacrifice) ? Did they baptise the infants? Did they kill the Christians by condemning them as heretics? Did they hold the Inquisition? did they sell the Indulgence?
    Galatians were indulged in the legalism ! But they were born again by the Holy Spirit, thereafter they returned to the Legalism ( Gal 3:1-6)

Roman Catholic is totally paganism, which is far away from the Christian Truth ! This is the absolute difference ! Roman Catholic has been the enemy of God throughout the history ! Millions of True Chrstians were killed by them, and many True Christians believed the Popes are the antichrists and the Anti-Christ will come in the form of Pope.
    Even today, RCC persecutes the Christian missionaries in South America and in many other places, and they are preparing for the Great Tribulation ! You are overlooking or underestimating their harmfulness very much !

The theory about Nicolas is ridiculous and doesn't make sense at all. When there is no explanation about the word in the Bible, it is because the word itself is selfexplanatory, which was explained by me already. I compared many theories but found them ridiculous. YOu can present it if you have any reasonable explanation for the word.

I have read those portion of Bible enough, and in my actual life I am practising the belief and teachings by Christ. But I notice many fake Christians are emphasizing the Love and Tolerance etc, flattering to the Roman Catholics because they are many !

They often pretend to have mercy to the people and to strictly follow the teachings of the Bible, but in fact they kiss the paganism and join the pagans in condemning the True believers. To their minds, the billions of people are gods, while the True God looks very small or nothing.

Should we please the multitude instead of God?
    Gal 1:
    10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

Bible is sometimes offensive to the Idol worshippers and adulterous people.
    Romans 1:
    21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Is the Bible generous and kind to the Idol worshippers?
    1 Cor 6
    9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

If the recommendations and advice come to me from the person who have been fighting the Idolatry and goddess worship enough for the sake of Lord, I would accept it with gratitude. But the condemnations with the pretense of Love and Kindness mostly come from the tricky hypocrites flattering to the multitudes, to the Idolators, friendly to the pagan worshippers, because my apology for the Bible Truth and condemnation against the Idolatry and goddess worship have been powerful ! ( One may criticize this for the self-righteousness but I can hardly explain this by other ways)

#120 Eliyahu, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.