1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholic Group Petitions Pope to Excommunicate Nancy Pelosi

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by carpro, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=43884

Catholic Group Petitions Pope to Excommunicate Nancy Pelosi
    Friday, February 20, 2009
    By Michael Chapman

(CNSNews.com) – Human Life International (HLI), a Catholic pro-life group based in Front Royal, Va., had a letter from its Rome office delivered to the Vatican this week, in which it called upon Pope Benedict XVI to “formally excommunicate” from the Catholic Church House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). The pope met with Pelosi on Wednesday.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apostates excommunicating apostates

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:

Don't you think she should at least try to keep her apostasy in line with her fellow apostates or leave that particular fellowship of apostates?

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If the Speaker followed the Pope in matters of civil government, that would be a violation of the separation of state and church. This very issue is what President Kennedy addressed:

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: That's a stretch.

Desperate? Scrambling?

Or just partisan insanity?

6. Magnetic Poles

Are you losing it carpro, old buddy, old pal? If a government official makes policy at the dictate of the pope, how is that not a church/state entaglement? Reread President Kennedy's words. I rather side with him over you on this. :thumbs:

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gotcha.

D. All of the above.

8. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Her excommunication means nothing to me, but I'd be interested to see if it means something to Nancy....

9. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I don't think she'll be excommunicated.... not as long as the RC deems her to both have significant political position and significantly represents the disagreement of many Catholics within their own congregation. Any discipline is likely to be 'lip-service' in an attempt to satisfy the faithful who take a stand for the life of the child in the womb, and/or see contraception as an interference to the will of God and his command to be fruitfull and multiply, or bringing a higher and lasting purpose into the act of union besides the more temporary satisfactions of desire and pleasure. I believe there are many sincere believers within the RC, but I donot believe the organization of the RC is really as much Christ led as it is concerned with its own power, wealth and influence using the name of Christ.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wow! I would hate for pressure from Rome to be a mitigating factor in political decisions.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

christianity is all or nothing, theres no such thing as part time. if it isn't a part of all of our life, it isn't a part of our life at all.

12. Magnetic Poles

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

13. Magnetic Poles

dubble bubble

#13 Magnetic Poles, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
  14. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing I don't understand is the whole excommunication thing. How can a denomination tell you that you can no longer worship with them? In a way, that is almost like telling them they can't advance spiritually. If the Catholic church wants to excommunicate me, that's fine. They can't tell me what to do or determine the fate of my salvation. They act like they are the saviour of mankind.

Maybe I'm getting a little off topic. For that, I apologize.

Why do people go to confession? Confessing your sins is a personal matter in which only God can forgive. Telling a Catholic priest (who is no different than you or me) can not give forgiveness for your sins. All you have to do is get on your knees & pray to God yourself. He alone can do that.

Back to the topic: Excommunicating her isn't going to make any difference. It won't change her views. I will be shocked if it does.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Yes it does, very much. Your opinions here and in the past has been when it comes to politics, christianity goes on vacation.

16. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I get if now. Don't let what you believe to be true to get in the way of how you govern. Don't let the influence of Christ and His Word get in the way. Now I see.

That's going to help in the long run. :BangHead:

17. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Plenty do eg: the Amish, the Exclusive Brethren. It isn't confined to Catholics. And it can have profound effects on the victims.

18. targus

targus New Member

So if a member of your church were in a prominent public position and he (or she) started publicly advocating for abortion, or gay marriage, or any other sin for that matter, your pastor and deacons wouldn't say to stop it?

If that person didn't stop and instead started bringing literature to your church to advocate that sin your pastor or deacons wouldn't say to stop it?

And if that person didn't stop your pastor or deacons wouldn't separate that person from the rest of the church members? They would not tell that person to not to come back until they repented of that sin?

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Reread President Kennedy's words"….
    "I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute;..."

Alright. Churches can construct their buildings with any materials they want to, with any number of exits anywhere they choose, and with any plumbing and wiring they select... government codes will not apply, as that would mix church and state. And churches must take care of their own water, sewage, and refuse-- no city ties or pickups. And if a suspect is being chased by the police and he runs onto church property, the police can do nothing-- their authority is absolutely separate from anything having to do with a church or its property. The suspect is safe there unless some members of the church literally throw him off the grounds onto a public road or walkway, and if the police are standing by then they can knab him... although that may lead to ambiguity as to whether they were watching the actions of the church members, for in absolute separation they cannot-- but of course they might just happen to.

Yeah, absolute separation of church and state is a logical thing, ain't it?

20. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.