1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholic Questions.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by PeterMeansRock, Dec 14, 2005.

1. PeterMeansRock

PeterMeansRock New Member

Howdy board.

My name is Justin, and I'm a Catholic Christian. I was agnostic for years, and then found Christ and his Church while in College, studying Philosophy and History.

I understand that there are some misconceptions about Catholics floating about - some questions or concerns about what we believe.

I don't know if this board has a resident "Catholic Answer Man" of a sort, but I'd like to submit myself as your humble and obedient servant to all things Catholic.

If you have a question and can ask it respectfully, I'd be happy to answer it. I'm new to this board and new to all of you, but I'll take a serious stab at any questions you have.

Please don't take the shotgun approach, however, listing 20 different things as if by sheer number you can make me conceed to the falsity of my faith or the veracity of yours. Respect is all I ask. I look forward to makeing some good Christian friends during my stay on this board.

Pax Christi,

-Justin

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I've alays appreciated certain aspects of catholic theology. But I think my biggest problem would be the prominence given to Mary. I know that the RCC does not elevate Mary to the level of Christ - but practically it seems there is more emphasis on devotion and prayer to her than to Jesus Himself.

3. riverm

riverm New Member

Hi PeterMeansRock:
    Welcome to the Board! I was raised with the fundamental error that all Catholics were unsaved and Hell bound. Jack Chick, Hunt, David Cloud, was my authority on all things Catholic. What I found was a lot of unanswered questions I had concerning theology or the Bible was cleared up when I sought answers outside the Baptist Church and I found them in the lest expected place, Catholicism.

And thus, my spiritual journey has begun…

Blessings

4. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Petermeansrock,
    I too welcome you here. (I only post here now sporadically). I also use to take as my authority on Catholicism, folks like Hislop, Hunt, Chick(!), and White. However, through reading history and what the RCC actually teaches, I now have much fewer misgivings about Rome than I formerly did (but I still have a few) and actually agree more with Rome's view on certain things than my previous Baptist take on those same doctrines.

Anyway, glad you're here. Uppity Catholics have been known to mysteriously disappear from this board at certain times. [​IMG]

God Bless.

5. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hiya Petermeansrock. Enjoy....some folk get quite hot under the collar over a whole swag of things

I am a Catholic too.

6. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Welcome to the BB! I too was raised Catholic although am now on the other side of the Tiber, but still keep it in view from the Magisterial Reformation side.

One of my main problems with Catholicism, like Charles, is the Marian 'υπερδουλια (sp?); also the more 'works-based' soteriology of the late medieval scholastics (eg: Biel), which the Magisterial Reformers, IMHO, corrected.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Welcome to the BB!

Could you clarify your definition of "his Church"?

8. jesusrocks

jesusrocks New Member

hey, I'm a philosophy major too! Did you specialize in any particular philosopher or philosophical period?

9. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My biggest issue with Catholic practice is praying to other entities than the Godhead. Mary, the saints, etc.
    The explanation I've always heard is that it is not different than asking a friend to pray for you. Yes, except one small detail, the saints are DEAD! The ability to hear prayers is a divine quality, and none of my friends in this life are divine, nor do I expect them to become such when they die. And besides, if God is all-powerful and all-knowing, which He is, then what's the point? Take your petition straight to the Top, as it were. Christ died and rose again so that we may have a relationship with the Father. I don't need to ask something of a dead believer (who can't hear me anyway).

10. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Hi PeterMeansRock and welcome to the board! From the looks of things you'll be busy answering questions for a while!
    I was raised in the Catholic church. My main concern, although I have many, is the issue of transubstantiation and the continued unbloody sacrifice of Christ in the Mass in light of Hebrews chapter 10. Would appreciate your comments as you find you have time. Looks like I'm in a long line!! [​IMG]

11. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think that the Catholic explanation for that is two-legged:-

1. The saints who have died have passed to eternal life and, as such, are more 'alive' than we are here on earth.

2. Given that, you can therefore ask them to pray for you (NB not pray to them) in the same way you would a friend on earth (incidentally, why would you ask your friends in your church to pray for you if you're having a tough time; why not take it "straight to the Top"?), knowing that they are able to pray for you more effectively than most Christians left here on earth.

That, at least, is how I understand the Catholic POV on this subject. Doubtless PeterMeansRock or another Catholic will be able to correct or confirm that.

[ETA - cross-posted with PamelaK - again, not being a Catholic myself, I suspect the answer to your question would be that Catholics don't regard the Mass as a 're-sacrifice' but a 're-presentation' of the Sacrifice made once and for all. A subtle and perhaps semantic difference, but nevertheless theologically important]

12. riverm

riverm New Member

Hi Debby in Philly: Regarding the Saint’s being DEAD, you will notice in Mark 12:27, that He (God) is not the God of the DEAD, as you perceive, but God of the LIVING! You body, our shell, will die, but our souls live forever. Amen!

But those Saints that have passed on are in the very presence of God, they are made perfect and have to be in order to be in the very presence of God. So who better to ask to pray for you than a Saint.

The Catholic Church doesn’t require or make a person ask a Saint to pray for them. It’s up to the individual. Asking my mom to pray for me is no different than asking a Saint to pray for me and as long as one isn’t trying to summon the presence of some Saint who has passed on, then there’s no harm.

Blessings

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First Question to the Catholic Expert: What if Peter means pebble?

Selah,

Bro. James

14. riverm

riverm New Member

What I find interesting is Revelation 5:6, we see a scene in Heaven, where John sees a Lamb that looks as if it’s been SLAIN. We learn later that this Lamb is Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ to St. John still looks to be slain, like He’s been offering Himself as the Passover Lamb since His death. Maybe this is some sorta imagery, but it’s interesting that Christ still looks to be slain.

Blessings

15. PeterMeansRock

it's not letting me post...

16. PeterMeansRock

it's not letting me post my full reply
    is there a length limitation?

17. riverm

riverm New Member

Hi PeterMeansRock

I believe there maybe a length limitation. Either divide your post into 2 posts, or if you are answering a specific question, start a new thread and post the question as the opening post. That way we can keep track of one discussion per thread. People will sense they are losing a debate and change the subject. This tread could have multiple questions going at the same time, which could get messy.

Blessings

18. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I've heard that one too. That Christ was making a play on words in the Greek - petra/petros - saying that Peter was a pebble, but upon this boulder (Himself) He would build the church.

19. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Yes, I've heard that one too. That Christ was making a play on words in the Greek - petra/petros - saying that Peter was a pebble, but upon this boulder (Himself) He would build the church

That's pretty unlikely. Look at the context. He was aying Peter was the rock. Like it or not the catholics are right on this one!

20. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt Black,

It amazes me that Catholic apologists feel they have to say such things. We all know that. When we say they are "dead" its because they have experienced their physical death and we are to never attempt to contact them.

The only way to contact them is to pray to them...rather than the only one we are to pray to, Almighty God.

Grace and peace,

Mike