1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholic Readings in Church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Vasco, May 8, 2006.

1. Vasco

Vasco New Member

How do they decide what readings,gospel will be read? Is it the same schedule every year? Who or what body decides it?

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't have all the answers but, IIRC, the Liturgical Cycle is split into 3 Years, beginning at the start of Advent: A,B and C. Year A has Matthew's Gospel, Year B Mark and Year C Luke. John is interspersed at various points in each Year.

However, the reading from the Gospel is one of four Bible readings in the Catholic liturgy. The First Reading is from the OT except in Eastertide (Easter to Pentecost) when it is from Acts and the Second Reading is from elsewhere in the NT (usually an Epistle); between the First and Second Readings a Psalm is read or sung.

The net result is that every three years they have the same Scriptures again.

As to who decides this, I'm not sure but I suspect Vatican II set up some kind of Liturgical Commission to decide it.

3. Vasco

Vasco New Member

good enough, you pretty much answered my doubts..thanks..

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian