1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured CCM or Old Hymns....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Greg,

Most of this post really makes more points. If you feel led to stay away from any type of music that could possibly lead you back to how you were in your past, then yes it's definitely a good thing to stay away from it. The songs you listed are wonderful songs and I wouldn't disagree with you concerning them; however, when I listen to or sing songs like "How Great Is Our God" (Tomlin) or "Revelation Song" (Jobe) or "Jesus Saves" (Camp), I don't feel led in any direction other than a desire to worship Almighty God for His majesty, His grace, and His love.

And no, you are not alone in your opinion. In our local church we have some members who insist that we only sing the "old hymns" in our services, yet they get a little puzzled when we start defining just what the "old hymns" are; the opinions are varied and very few go back any farther than 200-300 years in their opinion of "old hymns", with the interesting thing being at one time, these "old hymns" were considered very contemporary to the church. :)

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Serious question, and may have just been my unfortunate experience but why:

if someone says they prefer the old hymns (from Christ through the 1700's) or hymns from the 1800s through the early 20th century, or the older revival songs from the 1800-1900s, they are so often told BUT IT AIN'T ABOUT YOU. Caps to show the spirit in which it is said.

But if someone says they prefer contemporary, folks fall all over themselves to make sure the CCM lover is pleased. Why is that person not also told BUT IT AIN'T ABOUT YOU?

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. If churches are motivated this way, then there is a problem.

2. It may also be because as much as the CCM lover likes his music...it is a rarity that you hear one of them say anything like:
    -Organ music all by itself is sinful and worldly
    -those 1700's hymns are just like the folk music in the 1700's, and are so we shouldn't use them
    -Using the strophic hymn form and style doesn't exalt God.

4. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

What It's About....

This is my "blanket" answer to everybody in this thread on this matter...and then I'm gonna withdraw from the discussion. (at least for now) Our music...which is a part..A BIG PART...of our worship towards our God...should be about Him...and truthfully...and ONLY about Him. It is about "style" and "substance". It should be done in a style which does NOT distract from the message it is trying to convey and so as to not attract attention or "acquire fans". It is not entertainment. Much of the current kind of CCM would be more at home in a large concert venue rather than in the church-house. The artists (there may be some exceptions)are professional performers who do concerts...not "ministry" in the classic sense. They sell (expensive) tickets, hats, t-shirts, CD's and other souvenirs, have "fan" clubs and booking agents just like the "secular" music performers and groups do.(I have the same issue with much of what the Gaither's do even though most of what they sing is done in a traditional style) Much of the time many of them share no common doctrinal or Biblical ground with those of us who would take a stronger stand on doctrinal issues within the church and would have no problem "yoking up" with groups whose religious "traditions" are contrary to the Bible we say we believe (ie.,Catholicism, Charismatics,etc.) You wouldn't know that to watch the reaction of many to today's CCM genre's. Let's get our heads OUT OF THE SAND PEOPLE. Many of these folks may have started out innocently enough but for many of them it is BIG BUSINESS now. This is an INDUSTRY. IT is about money. It is a "model" that has no foundation in Scripture. That's because so much attention is paid to "style". Many of these musicians openly declare that their musical "heroes" are ungodly secular musicians and groups who we would NOT want our kids listening to or attempting to emulate. We simply CAN'T have it BOTH WAYS and be pleasing to our God!
    As to "substance", I know there are exceptions to every rule and even the CCM "artists" occasionally get a few songs that have some good depth in the spiritual sense( even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally!)...but much of what is sung these days focuses on "felt needs" and personal experience and perception rather than Biblical truth that is faithful to the scriptures. Many of the "Praise and Worship" songs and choruses have little real spiritual depth and are many times excessively repetitious.In fairness...I will also acknowledge that there are some of the "older" songs that are JUST AS SHALLOW and we should reject them as well. We need to be Biblically wise and discerning about these matters. Our bench mark can never be ..."well...I just LIKE this or that".....What does the music REALLY say? I don't profess to "Know it all"...but I am trying, for God's sake..not mine.....to know as much as possible and be right with God about it.
    All of what I just said comes from the perspective of an older man that is a former mid-60's to late 70's classic rocker who was heavily invested in the music scene of my era. It was what I "partied" too and was a necessary part of every day to me. It was feel-good music that would have been at home in any bar, dancehall or concert venue...but certainly NOT the church. I love (good) music and know the value of it. There are some kinds of music that are not appropriate to "worship" because thy feed the flesh moreso than the spirit. I know many of you in here on the BB will disagree with me but that is where I must stand. It will be curious to me just what the music in Heaven will be like. The only thing I do feel certain about is that it will require us all to make some changes in our preferences that we had HERE. For some that will be a BIG CHANGE....for others...maybe not so much.:smilewinkgrin: Finally..let me add that I believe that music is a powerful force for either good or evil. It is not, as some would have us believe.."ammoral". We need to be very careful what we use or follow after. In closing..I'll post a few YouTube's of my own that I believe bring great honor to the Lord and spiritual food to the hearts of the brethren. They are as follows:
    Dr. Curtis Hutson - I'm on the Winning Side - YouTube ( by a dying man on his way HOME)....he is now THERE!
    and this:
    Victorious Valley - 4 - YouTube
    and also:
    Victorious Valley - 5 - YouTube
    as well as:
    YouTube - I Can Trust Jesus - The Collingsworth Family (They sing in churches too)
    and finally:
    GREER BAPTIST CAMP MEETING SINGING JUNE 25, 2012 - YouTube
    and:
    Old Fashioned Christian Music Radio

Most of these examples would fall under the "old-fashioned" type of "style"...and I believe most of it has some real "substance" as well. I'm all for "contemporary" Christian music as long as it is not sung in a "style" that emulates the music of the lost world who cares nothing for God. There are many "impostors" in our day. OK...I'm done.

By the way....Enjoy the music...I hope it is a blessing to all!

Bro.Greg:saint:

#24 Gregory Perry Sr., Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
  5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

The important aspect of music as a part of worship is where is your heart and mind pointed and resting during the music portion of worship, CCM can and does create an environment to meditate and worship just as do hymns or "country gospel". The person worshiping is involved, their heart and attention should in fact be fixed upon the worship of God.