1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Celebrating Christmas is an Insult to Christ

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by procyon, Dec 12, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That happened too.

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real question is: Will what we do in service to God survive the fire which will try our works? Ref. I Cor. Ch. 3:11-15.

It is possible to be saved with no crowns.

Selah,

Bro. James

3. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saturnalia and Christmas

It was on this date, December 17, that the ancient Roman version of the universal midwinter nature festival which they called Saturnalia began. The week-long festival was named in honor of Saturn, the Roman god of the sowing of the harvest, and in its earliest forms included a death ritual, commemorating winter. The holiday was one of many that Roman slaves enjoyed throughout the year — demonstrating that pagan slaves were treated far better than Christian serfs — and one eagerly anticipated because, for a day, slaves were waited on by their masters. This custom probably originated with the Babylonians, was later adopted by the Persians, and became popular under the Romans.

During the week of the 17th through the 23rd there were religious ceremonies, boisterous revels, the exchange of gifts, visits to friends, public gambling, greetings of "Io, Saturnalia!" (much like "Merry Christmas!") along with a feast at the temple. If these customs seem familiar to moderns who celebrate Christmas, they are complemented by the Christian appropriation of the Winter Solstice (about December 21) and the Birthday of the Unconquered Sun in Mithraism (December 25) to co-opt the rival religions and market the new one. The worshippers of Mithra used candles and incense at their cave-temple on Vatican Hill.

http://www.ronaldbrucemeyer.com/rants/1217almanac.htm

4. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The key question here is whether we may or should do the same thing which Pagan worshippers used to do when they worship their gods, only by changing the name of god.

5. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anti-Christians are celebrating Birthday of Horus on Dec 25 too.

In 46 B.C.E., Julius Caesar adopted the Julian calendar. The Winter Solstice and the beginning of the new year fell on December 25th. Caesar declared this date the "Birthday of the Unconquered Sun." ( Later, Christians called it the "Birthday of the Unconquered Son.")

http://www.atheistalliance.org/library/AB-Solstice.html

6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christmas Tree
    When you put up that tree, tack a wreath on the door, and maybe hang mistletoe from the lintel, what are you signifying? John Williamson, in "Christmas Greenery" in the Dallas Morning News (December 6, 1986), encapsulates the pagan origin of decorating with evergreens:

Evergreen trees were important fertility emblems for pre-Christian ceremonies marking the winter solstice. People from ancient societies believed that by decorating their homes and temples with evergreen plants, such as holly, ivy and mistletoe, they were helping to carry the diminished sun through a critical period. . . . Mistletoe was the most sacred plant of the Druids. . . . [It] was given great reverence . . . because it grows on the venerated oak. The custom of kissing under the mistletoe comes from the ancient idea that mistletoe is the oak's genitals. And so it was believed that an embrace under its glistening berries was sure guarantee of a fruitful union. . . . The decoration of Christmas trees is a survival of pagan tree veneration. . . . For centuries before Christianity, holly was . . . used . . . for celebrating their midwinter Saturnalia.

While all the greenery in a home decked out for Christmas is beautiful to look at, these customs have nothing at all to do with Christ. In fact, they are sheer paganism directly descended from ancient rites practiced long before Jesus' birth (see Jeremiah 10:1-5). Do you really want to give the impression that you are worshipping a tree? Or that you desire a fruitful union because you give someone a kiss under the mistletoe?

http://bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Topical.show/RTD/CGG/ID/504

7. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

While I see lots of interesting tidbits concerning pagan religions and a scripture reference concerning the carving of asherah poles and other idols from trees, I see nothing that pertains to Christmas as it is celebrated by Christians. Only an idiot would think that I am worshiping a tree when I have set up a Christmas tree, so I am not to worried about causing confusion. As for mistletoe, never got into that tradition always thought it rather silly.

I have said it before, I will not weigh down your conscience by asking you to celebrate Christmas, but I will ask you to stop trying to weigh down the consciences of other Christians because you find the celebration of Christmas offensive. Celebrating Christmas is neither proscribed nor prohibited by Scripture so your claim that Christmas is sinful is out of line and false. Second just because pagans have used similar objects does not mean in a Christian context they have the same meaning or the same use, so while all the pagan tidbits you have posted are interesting they are pointless to the discussion.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 14:5-6 are often used by RC when they excuse about various Idolatry and Idol worship.
    But Romans 14:5-6 is for the legalism not for the Idolatry. I didn't say that Israelites worshipped the Trees, but they worshipped pagan god beside the Green Trees. Therefore watch out what you are thinking and actually keeping in your minds.

10. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Romans 14 does apply here, legalist such as procyon and eliyahu like to ignore it along with 1 Cor. 8 because it stands in the way of their agenda to yoke people with unnecessary rules and regulations.

11. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chemnitz, you are confused between Legalism and Idolatry, which is quite usual excuses by the Idol worshippers.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I am signifying that my household is entering into a season of commemmorating the birth of Christ. Period. End of story. All legalists, kindly take your false accusations of idolatry elsewhere. It is not welcome at my doorstep.

13. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

There is no confusion. Unless, you are saying you an Idolator, but somehow I doubt that is what you mean.

If you are accussing me of idolatry then it would appear you have a serious problem, for I believe and confess the one true God who has revealed Himself in three persons and became man in the person of the Son, died for my sins and rose again so that I too may live.

14. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not forcing you accept my belief. I am ascertaining and preaching the Truth. If you don't accept it, it is OK. As you have the freedom here, I have the freedom too.
    So, please leave me to proclaim the truth.

15. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

We would but what you proclaim is false.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

THere is no scriptural truth to your claim that putting up Christmas decorations is idolatry. None whatsoever.
    I don't accept what is not truth. You claim is not.
    When you do, I will leave you be. But until such as time as you can discern truth, I will take a firm stand against anyone who makes scripturally unfounded claims and attempts to pass them off as scriptura truth. Sorry, but scripture requires me to stand up against false doctrine such as is presented by you.

17. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say what you stick to is false paganism.

18. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me too, against Paganism

19. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I would have to say that means it isn't paganism, so what is the problem?

What paganism? There aren't any pagans on this board.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You say so incorrectly. I worship no God but Yahweh. That is indesputable.