1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Celebrating Recovery as a sunday school cirriccilum

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Archeryaddict, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No it doesn't. The Bible never calls believers to not be in a church. Leaving a bad church is one thing. Not being in a church is another. Of the greatest things for old believers is to be around new believers.

I am not. I understand very well what I am talking about. I deal with it on a regular basis here.

So if you want information from people leading similar ministries, why are you rejecting my information? I deal with drug addicts (legal and illegal) and alcoholics fairly regularly. There are drug dealers and users who live on my street. Last week a man in my church showed me $200,000 worth of drugs targeted for this neighborhood.

If I didn't have anythign useful to contribute I would have never posted. Perhaps "useful" to you means "agreement." I think we ought to challenge and discuss what the best way to conduct our ministry is.

Here is the point:
    1. The doctrine of the local church needs to be carefully considered before we start segregating the body of Christ. If part of the body doesn't want to accept another part, then we should address that, rather than split the body.
    2. What people with enslavements and sinful habits need is fellowship with people who do not have those problems. They need discipleship in the context of the local church. I think the segregation routine is destructive because it allows people to self-focus rather than others-focus. They need to be around people who are not struggling with their sin problems to show them that there is another way to live. 3. I have no problem with having a ministry for people with addictions. We are trying to do that here. I do have a problem with segregating people from teh body of Christ.

Perhaps what you wanted was approval rather than careful evaluation. But if you didn't want people to comment, you should not have asked the question.

#21 Pastor Larry, Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2007
  2. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

Your post reflects a thoughtfulness and seriousness I find rare from not just the average believer but from Pastors and teachers. The truth is, as I am confident, is that proper instruction results in every believer able to take the doctrinal truths and apply them personally and privately so that the teacher and class need not be so specifically structured (generally such structure is a social favor to the realities of human interaction but nothing of any genuine spiritual warrant) but so the teacher may teach the truths of God's Word, show how that truth is rightly applied and hence, each person in the class applies it privately and personally to their own situation, needs and challenges.

#22 Mr.M, Jul 28, 2007
  3. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

Pastor Larry
    you seem to be under the assumption that we are trying to segrate people from the congregation. this has never been the intention nor has it ever been a part of any discussion.
    we are talking about Birthing a Sunday School class that is focused on new converts who have not always been a member of the Church.
    some of those which may have had a drug dependancy or an alcohol addiction or or people who have commmited crimes, ect
    People who were once a part of the world but who have made the decesion to follow Christ .
    Baby Christians need to be fed milk before they can eat solid food, which is something that a regular Sunday School setting cannot provide because what is taught in the quarterlys would be so far over their head thy could not understand.
    It would be like putting a first grader in a 12th grade class and expecting them to understand what is being taught. I know what I am talking about because that is how I once felt and I almost quit going to church because I was being fed stake when I should have been feeding on milk.
    Most new converts do not even know what the 2 ordinances of the church is let alone know what the rest of the church doctrine is.
    the whole purpose of this Sunday School Class is to disciple new converts with a firm understanding of Christianity so that they fully know what their purpose is within the Church and in their every day walk that they may be a functional and fruitful part of the body of Christ.

If we can keep our members involved and keep it fresh and make Gods Word come alive to them in our Sunday School programs whether they be new members or old we can keep them in church.

I was not looking for aproval from men for something God has called us to do.

#23 Archeryaddict, Jul 28, 2007
  4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I merely drew my conclusion from your comments: ... to minister and disciple those who otherwise would not feel comfortable in a Sunday School classroom setting because of their background, their current situation or their sense of insecurity of how they are recieved by other church members.

BTW, "approval of men" in the church is a part of God's call. Don't be so quick to dismiss it.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In our local church we have a new members class in which the basics of the Word of God are taught. Many folk with many problems including alcoholism and drug addiction has passed through this class.

In the class of "seniors" which I have been given, I travel very slowly with a lot of repitition (it is difficult to make repitition fresh but it is possible) to make sure everyone understands completely what the Scriptures are teaching. We took over 2 years to go through the Book of Acts; a Book of transitions.

Yes even some "seniors" need milk and need the meat to be like Gerber's baby food. Unlike physical growth, spiritual growth seems to have no definitive time table. Some even seem to be babes for the duration no matter what is done (humanly speaking).

Teaching the Word of God is: Patience, patience, patience. Be patient and faithful, pray for those to whom God has given to you. Pray for yourself and your wife. He will give you wisdom and bless your work.

I often remind myself of this admonition:

NKJ James 3:1 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.​

Yes, the church has become a "mixed mulitude" of "wheat and tares" and you will need the wisdom of Solomon and the patience of Job but God will give the increase to His own. We ought not to be surprised at this since Jesus told us it would happen in Matthew 13.
    I suspect that on occasion He transforms some tares into wheat as well.​

Be in subjection to your Pastor. If you cannot then another local church is probably in order. New believers need to see that there should be order and accountability in the Church of God which He purchased with His blood. No local church on earth is perfect, we shouldn't add to the burden of the pastor(s), the undershepherds who oversee the flock.​

My advice FWIW.​

HankD

6. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

I do not understand some of you people. How are you going to help someone when you fight and fight. If I was an addict and seen this .I would say to myself how can these people help me when they have problems there self. The best thing you can do is pray to God about it. That will be the best answer you can get. And to the pasters I seen more than enought. Every time I see someone with a name paster or say they are pasters they always get in a fight with someone. I will not trust no man. As for me I will love my brother. You want to get throught to a addict .Love them no matter what even if they fall again. And if they fall go find them and set with them, crie with them and tell them God loves them. And that is the same with a sinner because there just as lost as that addict. My God bless all of you.

7. charles_creech78

I am not saying all pastor do this just some and I am sorry if someone took this the wrong way. I just get tired of everyone fighting about things and We are to have the love of God in us. Let us love one another and help each other make it to that goal. If we love each other we will all run that race together.

8. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I totally agree, Brother Charles. Addicts come to church looking for something missing in their lives (doesn't everyone?). The one thing they all have in common is a lack of peace. Maybe they lost it, maybe they never had it. If they see that even Pastors argue and fight, it will only scare them away, in a time when they are most vulnerable and unsure.

love

Sopranette

9. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

I am not sure about the "some of you people" but I know this, you sure can't be helping anyone by standing on the sidelines with sanctimonious criticisms. I bet some addict right now is reading your post rolling his eyes. :laugh: :laugh:

10. charles_creech78

I will not fight with you Mr.M. My God bless you.

11. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

Good, we wouldn't some addict reading not just your petty and sanctimonious criticisms but you fighting with me as well, at that rate he'd not just roll his eyes but probably start reading Harry Potter and voting as a Democrat!:laugh: :laugh:

12. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

This judgementalisim and Bickering is ridiculus!
    I needed some input from people who may be using this ciricculum in a Sunday School class room setting. and for the most part I got people looking down their nose and childish bickering.
    I have asked the Administrator to close this thread ASAP.

to anyone who may have any useful information is welcome to send me a PM.

13. charles_creech78

Don't get down about it brother that is just what the devil wants you to do. Smile God loves you. All I know to say to the people you are talking about is to love them and tell them God loves them. How did you become a Christain? You was told about Jesus and that Jesus loves you. When I thank of sunday school I thank of little kids. I thank it will be best if you treat them like a adult and to tell them to read the bible and if they do not understand it to go to God for that understanding. If they do not understand to ask God get down and prey with them. They start to trust in God. My little girls are young but I prey with them. They know the name of Jesus and they prey to him sometimes with out me there. See they trust in him in all things. Don't put them in a catogorey. They are sinners just like us and they need to repent. I know because I was a drug addict. I could not change till I trusted in the lord. Who gives us are understanding? It is God. You get understanding in trusting God. So the first thing they need to do is trust in God and all the rest will fall into place. I hope I gave you something to work with brother.:godisgood: