1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Central Baptist Seminary - Kansas City area

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dr. Bob, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Discussion on Central Baptist in Minnesota brought attention to the "other" Central Baptist Seminary, in Shawnee, Kansas.

Since we have a faculty member of that location, I asked could you share a thumbnail analysis of positions your "Central" holds that would not be endorsed or accepted by the majority of BB members? Most here know the "Central" of our background (Central in Minnesota was housed in my home church so I "grew up" with the militant fundamental "capital-B-Baptist" mantra there) but far less familiar with yours. Thanks.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who knew nothing of this school (except the same name as the more-familiar Central Baptist Theological Seminary) here is a link to their website. I am slightly befuddled as to why they have removed "Baptist" and almost every doctrinal statement from their information, emphasizing instead all the typical phrases/earmarks of liberalism.

Home - Central Baptist Theological Seminary

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The seminary at this link does not have a location in Shawnee, KS.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is in the Shawnee West Business Park. This is the seminary as far as I (and google) know. Google it.

Dr Terrill is listed in the faculty here

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    D'oh! You're correct.

I was on their Home web page and hovered my mouse cursor on About Us > Locations and it showed Ann Arbor, MI, Tennessee, and Wisconsin. No mention of Kansas City until/unless you visit the Locations page. My bad.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saving your post for eternity :Cool:Cool

7. terrell

terrell New Member

Dr. Bob,

My intent wasn't to derail the original thread (you didn't accuse me of that, but I appreciate your wisdom in seeing how it could happen). Thanks for asking the question and starting this new thread so it wouldn't become a distraction from the original posters intent.

I'll state where Central does agree with most board members first. CBTS in Shawnee agrees with the classic/foundational/orthodox/primary view that God is triune (Father, Son, Holy Spirit), salvation is through faith in the sacrificial death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus the Christ, the reality of the Church as the living embodiment of Jesus on earth, Baptism and Communion as primary tenants of practice for the Church, a future resurrection, and a new heaven and earth.

After that, the seminary allows for vigorous dialogue as it concerns other areas of debate (those things which have generally been classified as secondary). Also, in classifying certain things as secondary, that doesn't mean that I think they are unimportant or less worthy of consideration or debate. It's just one of the contributing factors, I think, for not having a specific belief statement.

Central sees its privilege as preparing people to engage in ministry with all of the world, not just one particular point of view. It is Baptist in history, but ecumenical in the sense that many of our students are not Baptist and the belief that Baptists aren't the only ones who faithfully serve God. We teach students how to participate in ministry wherever God has placed them, regardless of their denominational affiliation.

One of the challenges the seminary has had to face is whether it could survive by only serving Baptists, or should it serve anyone who wants to learn. The school has chosen to serve everyone. That does mean that we have students who don't agree with all of the tenants of Baptist faith and practice, but as long as they can adequately engage with the material that is presented to them, they can make it through their degree programs. The school sees the graduate educational process as not one of indoctrination (I realize that no one has used this word in the prior thread), but one of exploration (being exposed to new ideas and information). I also realize those words are already sending off red flags for most readers.

I know that all of this (the willingness to be ecumenical/open to other denominations, the allowance for vigorous debate on what the school considers secondary questions/concerns, and not requiring people to adhere to one particular way of thinking or having a specific statement of faith) is not a positive in many people's opinions on this board.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I understand that CBTS in Shawnee is not many people's cup of tea on the board. Although Central has chosen to not be "militant fundamental "capital-B-Baptist," as a faculty member, they don't require me to give up any of my personal beliefs or hide who I am. Instead, they allow me to be me, as long as I allow/encourage students to engage with thoughts/beliefs that are different from my own. They don't claim to be a liberal seminary, but they don't see people calling them that as a mark against them either. If there was a motto for the school it would echo the words "In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, in all things charity." (I know that many would disagree with those words.)

So, the list of ways/areas where CBTS Shawnee would not be endorsed or accepted by the majority of people on the board is probably too long to try to write.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As an alumnus of the other Central, which the other thread was about, may a make a few statements and ask a few questions? Thanks. :D
    Amen!

Amen!

Amen!

By immersion only or does the school allow other forms such as sprinkling or pouring to be taught and/or practiced? Baptismal regeneration?

Does the school allow Transubstantiation or Consubstantiation to be taught and/or practiced? Or the elements as a soteriological "means of grace?" (IE baptismal regeneration or Paschasius Radbertus's "magic cookie" theology.)

Amen!

9. terrell

terrell New Member

The school “allows” for the opportunity to have discussion on all of them (including immersion, sprinkling, pouring, transubstantiation, consubstantiation, baptismal regeneration, and Radbertus's theology) since they all have been debated at one point or another in the life of the Church. Also, the act of baptism is one of the signs of faith in Christ as Savior. The act is not what saves a person.

But, as I said earlier, the school doesn’t attempt to make a student follow any one view. The school also doesn’t attempt to force faculty to believe a particular view or sign a statement of beliefs.

#9 terrell, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2