1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Certificate Plus Advanced Degrees? Needed?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To whomever might have an interest:

I am in an internal questioning; and need to hear others of my generation and educational level "talk out loud" so I can "hear" your voices and opinions please?

I am thinking of doing a certification in "bioethics" or "ethics" proper. Problems:

1. I hate bioethics with a passion.

2. There are not many "ethics" certification programs out there that are not "bio" or "medical ethics."

3. It will cost about $7000" "out the door" from a reputable school.

3. I have taught "bio-ethics" twice on the BA/BS level to date.

4. I am about to teach, for the second time, "Intro to Christian Ethics" for a Master of Christian Ethics program starting in Feb 2011.

5. I am nearly 60 and am writing, publishing, and producing now.

6. I have been in a small Baptist college, accredited, teaching Religion and Communication for 13 years.

7. I love "Christian Ethics," social ethics, and social justice issues, like race relations in the Church etc.

8. Etc., I could go on and on.

Questions:

Would the certification help me?

Is it needed?

Would it do more for me than I am doing now without it?

Will the money/time spent ever be realized or gotten back from the certification?

Is it a waste of time given the "open doors" and teaching opportunities the Lord has set before me?

A little help please?!

"That is all!" :1_grouphug:

#1 Rhetorician, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
  2. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

Rhetorician:
    You and I have not talked much on this board, but I have read many of your posts. I attended a "liberal" seminary where Bioethics was taught in the ethics course, and I can understand your disdain for it. However, I do not think this certification will provide you a lot of help. It seems you already have some doors, and God has blessed you to utilize those doors. However, I do not know what other doors you want open. For what it is worth, the professor at my seminary had a Ph.D. in ethics and theology from Duke. I just do not know how this certification will help you considering all the work and credentials you already have. This however is my two cents and only my opinion.

Michael Bowe

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Rhet,

The answers to your questions are obviously no, no, no, no, and yes! We've gotten this education thing backwards and focus on degrees and certifications too much. It matters more what you can do! You are past the formal education stage (this is why I think honorary doctorates are justified), which provides the knowledge, skills, and tools to do productive work. Schooling is for entry level. If you are functioning at a level of teaching and doing worthwhile work in the field, go for it and forget the certification.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That right there should answer your question imho. Never, never do a degree that doesn't add to your life and experience.

I can't say heads or tails what another person should do with their life...well I try not to do this. ;)

Honestly, how many years are you anticipating teaching? Are you planning on moving institutions? Will the year or two of work add to five plus years of influence?

This is how I'd manage a certification. They're great if someone is in the secular arena and needs a non-degree specialization to add to their resume. For instance I have a friend who has no desire to pay out $50k for an MBA and decided to add a non-profit graduate certification to her resume and found great work in her field.

I don't know how many people in academics benefit from them. If you've got your PhD and its in an ethics specialization than you should be set. Now if you've been assigned other classes outside of your area maybe just using the time to brush up on a reading list is more appropriate.

If it were me, in similar shoes, I wouldn't do it. The cost, $7k, is prohibitive and that money could be used to attend some professional conferences, buy books in the area, and attend a post-graduate seminar in the field. I'd get the reading lists off the syllabi, get the texts through inter-library loan, and spend $2.75 in late fees to get the knowledge without the paper.

Just me though....:)

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paid Response

Paid,

You have said "out loud" what I needed to hear. I don't think; because of age, credentials, and what our Lord Christ has allowed me to do I need seek any more "entry level credentials."

Thank you for serving as my "sounding-board!"

"That is all!"