1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CES Mentor/Protege

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who have ears to hear:

I have been asked to mentor a young man through his Master's degree at the Columbia Evangelical Seminary. I am still praying about the issue and am supposed to give the young man an answer this Wed. or Thurs. Please pray for me as I try to decide if I have the time. Presently I have:

1. A book review due for SharperIron. (Check it out! It should be posted in a couple of weeks).

2. A second book on Basil Manly, Jr., who, along with John A. Broadus, is also one of the founders of Southern Seminary. This is due, my part, by Sept 30.

3. A third book project on grief and suffering told from the minister's perspective with ministers as the focal audience.

4. A rhetorical criticism article due, 3000 words, on one of Spurgeon's sermons for the Founder's Journal by Sept. 30.

5. Plus I have picked up a Medical Ethics class for a local university for a 5 week stint one night per week and have to get up to speed for that.

6. And I am teaching 12 hours in my "day job" at our little Baptist College.

But, I think that it will all be worth it to mentor him. I was wanting to cataloger and describe this experience of mentoring this degree to see what it is like and to chronicle it for all of those who might want my insights as I go through the process.

Let me know what you think even now as I am bout to decide.

"That is all!":thumbs:

#1 Rhetorician, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2008
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well, given that you may need the experience in order to mentor a Doctoral student one day............ :smilewinkgrin:

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Do it, a busy man will always find a way to get a job done. It's the idol that never get anything done because they are to busy doing NOTHING. You will do an excellant job.:applause: :thumbs:

4. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    P O B Response

POB,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am having to turn down some things in order to maintain just a small semblance of mental stability.

I thought this was one way that I could put myself into the life of a preacher and help him get what he needs to have. I will try to do my best!:smilewinkgrin:

"That is all!"

5. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Follow up

To all who have an interest:

I entered into a contractual agreement with a student enrolled in CES this past Thursday night. I was a bit selfish in my motivations on two different levels: first, I will have "to get up to speed" in some areas where I never would have studied or researched on my own. Now, I will be compelled to read and to know at least more than the student.

Secondly, it is a "paying gig," albeit, it does not pay very much. But I have always wanted to teach preachers and/or missionaries on the graduate level. This young brother is a member of the Plymouth Brethren churches. He has already been to Papua New Guinea as a missionary trainer, teacher, preacher, and writer of some textbooks.

I will count it as a real thrill to help him with his studies and development as a young missionary. I can do missions indirectly and directly do what I am doing now at home. I get to do what the Lord called, equipped, educated, and led me to do and become! And I get paid to do it too!!! AMEN!! GLORY!!! SDG!!! PTL!!!

Was it Jerry Clower who stated: "Ain't God good!!??"

Pray for the both of us when you read these posts or when the Lord brings us to your mind as we begin this new journey together.:praying:

"That is all!"

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Protege/Mentee Update

To all who are following and may have questions of my experience with Columbia Evangelical Seminary:

I have indeed entered into the contractual agreement with a student to direct his Master's degree. He is sending via "snail mail" his contract in a "hard copy" in order for me to sign is so we can go to work.

Please pray for the both of us when you see or read this post!!:praying:

More to follow!

"That is all!"

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Well if both you fellas had heard my prayer you may have stopped me. God bless you and your work my friend.:praying:

8. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mentor Update

To all who might be following the CES program:

I have "met" with my mentee and we are in the process of hammering out his three syllabii for three (3) four hour classes. That's right, he will be taking 12 hours total with me.

I really look forward to working with this young minister-missionary. Please pray for us if you will.

I really had too much other stuff, preaching-teachin-researching & writing, to take on this project. But, I believe it is going to be a real "gas.":laugh:

And I also truly believe the reward will be well worth the time spent.

FWIW!

"Stay by the stuff!"