1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cessationism (Revelation) VS. 1 Corinthians 13:10

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mmetts, Jul 12, 2007.

1. mmetts

mmetts New Member

Cessationism (Revelation) VS. 1 Corinthians 13:10

Cessationism, that is the end of revelatory Words from God, authoritative, prophetic, and unique altogether (see Revelations 22:18-19), teaches that there are no longer eligible canonical material in regard to authority, and that the Word of God is complete, and that other gifts (such as tongues) are no longer being used. I have had a hard time reconciling revelatory gifts (tongues and prophecy) as being used today. Obviously they are still being used, but accuracy I think is a problem and many are being led astray. Would anyone have any compelling arguments in favor of cessationism? Is it biblical? Since the closing of the canon I believe that prophecy and tongues are no longer useful, and are doing more bad than good, but then how is Paul considering these spiritual gifts as instrumets until the time of Christ's return?

Grudem maintains that 1 Corinthians 13:8-12 teaches that prophecy and tongues are in play until the time of Christ's return.

1Co 13:8 Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall be done away; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall be done away.
    1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part;
    1Co 13:10 but when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away.
    1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things.
    1Co 13:12 For now we see in a mirror, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know fully even as also I was fully known. ​

1 Corinthians 13:10 But when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away."

The scope or context of the passage (1 Corinthians 13) is the supremecy of love and Paul correlates love's everlasting-ness to the temporary nature of the gifts.

"When the perfect comes" is very solid that the author is refering to the Parousia. Also note 1 Corinthians 1:7, "So that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ".

Thoughts? :1_grouphug:

#1 mmetts, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
  2. pinkcarnation

pinkcarnation New Member

Very well said son!

Love you bunches,

Your momma

3. mmetts

mmetts New Member

Man, 35 views and no comments. =/

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

You might be receiving no responses because people are tired of going round and round on this.

In general, Cessationist interpret these scriptures to the effect that God is not doing anything significantly different today than what is happening in their own ministries or churches. They have developed many innovative interpretations of these scriptures that I have no desire to go over again.

Continuists do not limit God to their own experiences, but accept that God may still be doing what is described in the scriptures, even if they have not experienced these gifts in their own ministries or churches.

#4 drfuss, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  5. mmetts

mmetts New Member

Well said.

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Makes sense to me, mmetts.