1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chain Reference Bible's

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ben W, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

In Bible study today a chap showed me a Bible that he has, it is called "Thompsons Chain Reference Bible".

I had not been familiar with this type of Bible before, and looking at the way that it listed topics and scriptures for study, it looked like one that would be quite helpfull.

I would be interested to know if you chaps have had much experience with this type of Bible. This one was a "Thompsons", are there different versions of Chain Reference Bibles, Can you advise me which one is a good one to get?

2. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

Thompson Chain Reference is an excellent study Bible. I really like it because it doesn't provide a commentary; rather, it uses its reference system to enable the reader to trace topics and concepts through Scripture.

The last time I checked, it was available in KJV, NKJV, NIV, and NASB. Unfortunately, it's only available in original (not updated) NASB, which was why I stopped using mine. I'd go back to it in a minute if they'd publish it in the updated NASB, or the ESV for that matter. Oh, well.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I had a Thompson's Chain Reference for years that finally fell apart. I've also had a Scofield that I used for many years. I now use a Nelson Study Bible in the New King James Version and like it so very much.

Diane

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Just remember the chains aren't inspired. They may have missed one or may have included some that shouldn't be there. I have the Thompson Chain Reference Bible but I haven't used it in years. You should be aware however that the KJV used in the Thompson Chain Reference Bible is different than the KJV used in the Scofield Reference Bible. You have to decide which KJV is really the Word of God. It may plant doubt in your mind :D

The TCRB uses the Cambridge text I believe and the SRB uses the Oxford.

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Marathon Man said:

I really like it because it doesn't provide a commentary; rather, it uses its reference system to enable the reader to trace topics and concepts through Scripture.

Don't deceive yourself into thinking that chain-reference Bibles don't provide a commentary. You don't have to have lengthy textual footnotes to be a commentary.

There is no such thing as an objective human being, and it was human beings who decided what cross-references with what.

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is it only Thompsons who do the Chain Reference Bibles?

I checked on ABE Books, and they seem to have a few Thompsons versions for sale.