1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chair Placement?????

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by khr, Jun 8, 2015.

1. khr

khr New Member

OK - couldn't really find any other category to put this one in and it seems rather insignificant compared to the great theological and methodological discussions to be found here.........but.......

Those of you who have chairs in your worship center - what kind of method do you use to help you keep them lined up from week to week? We have been using a small square of black gaffers tape on the carpet, but are finding that some people are picking them up, thinking they are doing us a favor by helping keep the auditorium clean; the chair legs themselves are "rolling" them off the carpet; and our custodian hits them with the vacuum and sucks them up and away.

We have been talking about a small dot of black paint for a more permanent solution, A dot of black paint would be virtually unnoticed due to the kind/color pattern of carpet we have. What have you found that is working great for you?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Thought y'all was a gonna bee talkin' 'bout replacing "Ole Sparky" at Nashville's old Cockrill Bend Detention Facility (Where, in fact, the movie "The Green Mile" was filmed.)

Sigh. :BangHead:

3. khr

khr New Member

Maybe a little less threatening than that!

4. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Yeah......Rite!! :applause:

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We have a few pieces of wood that are I think 2x2s cut to the spacing of what the chairs should be spaced behind each other to create the rows. We have the teens set up the rows and then use the spacers to get them evenly spaced. As for how far from the front, we usually just eyeball it, I believe.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I lead the group of men who set-up and take-down chairs each Sunday and for special events.

Before I attended the set up was quite regimented.
    They placed small attachment devices to the wall to act a guides and during set-up would run a line from each of these to keep the rows straight and sure.
    It was quite regimented, complicated and "not easy".
    The men tell me it was quite a chore and they worried if it wasn't "just right".

I've simplified things.

Our pulpit is a raised platform in the center of a gym-sized community room.

1. We step off a distance from the center of the pulpit (the center line is marked).
    2. We make the equivalence of a 5 chair space down the center for walking down.
    3. Each side starts with 5 chairs in the front and we add a chair to each following row.
    4. Each row is spaced a man's width plus an outstretched hand from the row in front of it.

We also have wings of chairs off each side - it complicates things a bit.

We end up with a big fan like setup where everyone can see the stage and pulpit.

Every week is slightly different but no one really notices.

Rob

#6 Deacon, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
  7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

We don't have any markings, so we don't have them placed but similarly every week. I guess it isn't that big of a fat hairy deal. Funny thing is even then, I tend to move mine out of kilter anyway because I think they are too close together.

8. khr

khr New Member

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like most of you are putting down and taking up weekly. That makes it a little different than ours, in that they stay down for quite a while between changes. So after 2-3 weeks they can start to look rather "unruly".

Anybody else have a system?

Thanks,
    Ken

9. CONFER

CONFER New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There's a possibility to keep the chairs aligned by using magnets on the sides, like the ZOE church pews have it...