1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Challenging Common Translation Choices

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Do not love human society....' You'd better live alone in a cave then, Van. My church is full of human beings and I love their society.
    Are you still not praying for humanity, Van?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another "attack the poster, ignore the position post" from the Calvinist gang. Here the poster ignores the corruptions of human society which we are to eschew, and the fallen humans we are to love and nurture by the grace of God.

Words should be translated according to their contextual meaning, not a one size fits all ambiguity.

When the context indicates human society with its flaws is in view, then that meaning should be chosen by translators.

Do not love human society nor the things of human society. If anyone loves human society, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in human society, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from humanity. Fallen human society is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever. (Interpretive translation of 1 John 2:15-17) ​

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts of the Apostles 17:24, ". . . God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; . . ."

". . . God that made mankind
    and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven
    and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; . . . "

Might?
    1 John 2:15-17, ". . . Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. . . ."

". . . Love not mankind, neither the things that are in mankind. If any man love mankind, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in mankind, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of mankind. And mankind passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. . . ."

Matthew 5:43-44, ". . .
    Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; . . ."

John 17:9, ". . . I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. . . ."
    ". . . I pray for them: I pray not for mankind, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. . . "

John 13:1, ". . . Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end. . . ."
    ". . . Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of mankind unto the Father, having loved his own which were in mankind, he loved them unto the end. . . ."

Ephesians 1:4, ". . . According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: . . ."
    ". . . According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of mankind, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: . . ."

I can go on. But you never intended an answer to any of these.

4. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You certainly don't have a way with words Van. You need to brush up on the English language before you even begin to attempt your interpretive skills of the original.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One way to wave the white flag is to address how something is said, to avoid addressing what was said...

When the context indicates human society with its flaws is in view, then that meaning should be chosen by translators.

Do not love human society nor the things of human society. If anyone loves human society, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in human society, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from humanity. Fallen human society is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever. (Interpretive translation of 1 John 2:15-17)

6. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    How something is said is, in fact, dealing with what was said. That's elementary for the rest of us Van.

7. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rather than the above monstrosity, the NET states the following:
    "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him, because all that is in the world (the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the arrogance produced by material possessions) is not from the Father, but is from the world. And the world is passing away with all its desires, but the person who does the will of God remains forever."

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, how would you "'interpret' 1 Cor. 7:31/ The NLT reads :
    "Those who use the things of the world should not become attached to them. For this world as we know it will soon pass away."

9. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    How would you 'interpret' the following passages Van?

2 Cor. 7:10
    "For sadness as intended by God produces a repentance that leads to salvation, leaving no regret, but worldly sadness brings about death" (NET)
    Titus 2:12
    "It trains us to reject godless ways and worldly desires and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age." (NET)
    2 Peter 1:4
    "Through these things he has bestowed on us his precious promises, so that by means of what was promised you may become partakers of the divine nature, after escaping the worldly corruption that is produced by evil desire." (NET)
    Jude 19
    "These people create divisions. Since they don't have the Spirit, they are worldly." (CEB)

10. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I carry on with this discussion I fear that I shall descend into either sarcasm or anger. If you really believe that God instructs us not to love mankind there is nothing more I can say.
    Thank you for your time.

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God in the Law said, Leviticus 19:18, ". . . thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: . . ." In the same letter 1 John 2:2 and 1 John 2:15-17 wrote in 1 John 5:19, ". . . we know that we are of God, and all mankind lieth in wickedness . . ." You choose to reject a usable translation by forcing irrational application.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few examples...
    John 1:10, He was in human society, and humanity came into being through Him, and humanity did not acknowledge Him.
    John 1:29 The next day he *saw Jesus coming to him, and *said, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of humanity.
    John 3:16 God loved humanity in this way, He gave His uniquely divine Son so that everyone believing into Him would not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 6:33 For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven and gives life to humankind.
    John 6:51 I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats from this bread, he will live forever; and the bread which I will give for the life of humankind also is My flesh.”
    John 8:26 “I have many things to say and to judge regarding you, but He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him, these I say to humanity.
    John 12:47 “If anyone hears My teachings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge humanity, but to save humanity.
    John 13:1 Now before the Feast of the Passover, Jesus, knowing that His hour had come that He would depart from this human society to the Father, having loved His own who were in human society, He loved them to the end.
    John14:31 but so that humanity may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me. Get up, let’s go from here.
    John 16:28 “I came forth from the Father and have come into human society: again, I am leaving human society and going to the Father.”
    John 17:6 “I have revealed Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of humanity; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have followed Your word.
    John 17:21 that they may all be united; just as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that humanity may believe that You sent Me.
    1 John 2:15-17 Do not love human society nor the things of human society. If anyone loves human society, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in human society, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from humanity. Fallen human society is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.

#72 Van, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  13. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, answer my posts, numbers 68 and 68.

#73 RipponRedeaux, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2021
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Accordingly, the faith is based on heeding, moreover by heeding the declarations about Christ. (Interpretive translation of Romans 10:17)

Accordingly means "in light of the above" this is the response, according to context.
    The faith refers to what we believe.
    What we believe is based on our response to the declarations about Christ.
    Heeding refers to comprehending and responding to information received.
    Moreover is used in this construction to be emphatic.
    By is a rendering of the preposition "dia" (by) indicating the means by which the gospel is comprehended and accepted.
    The declarations refers to what was reported about Christ.

15. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Van --how many posts will you spew the same stuff over and over and over again? You said your piece; wisdom would be to walk away before your posts become so trite and irrelevant that no one listens to anything you say. To me that would be a wise move." (Dr. Bob to Van 7-2-2015)

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Context guides the interpreter of scripture as to the probable meaning of source language words, from within the range of their historical/grammatical meanings.

Through faith appears about 19 times in the New Testament. If interpreters use context, the meaning is that God uses the faith of the individual, if credited by God as righteousness, to bestow whatever blessing is in view. We become children of God through faith. We are saved by grace through faith.

And it would take a rather large about of "hutspah" to claim "through faith" actually means "not through faith."

17. jbible

jbible New Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I enjoy comparing the KJV to any other translar=tion in regards to 1 Cor 1:18... and Rev 4:11...... 1 Cor 1:18... KJV..."which are saved"... all the rest?... "who are BEING saved".... I believe salvation is a once and forever done with act..... we are NOT in a process of "being saved"... just as Jesus.. nailed our sins to the cross... Jesus does Not have to re "die".. over and over again to pay for our sins... and Rev 4:11... why were we created...?...for God's pleasure... !.. we were created to please God... te other translations.. tell us.. how we were created... not why.. we were created...

18. jbible

jbible New Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I am finding a lot of anti Calvinist beliefs on here... are there a lot of anti conservative.. or anti reformed as well?.. what about anti dispensationalists..?... I never knew that Baptists could disagree.. about.. so many things... I thought that is why we are Baptists... is it not?...why is there such a schism in what our views are..?..

19. jbible

jbible New Member

Faith:
    Baptist

the KJV states..."so then".. .....the ASV.."so belief".. the RSV.."so faith... the NASB "so faith".... does this make a difference?... the key word is the word.."so"... which is the connecting word... (conjunction).. letting us know that verse 17 is refering to what has previously been stated....I don't think we should be getting tied up worrying about the words after the word "so".. if we do not first understand the reason why...the word "so",.. is there...

20. jbible

jbible New Member

Faith:
    Baptist

hmmm I do not see where Faith comes by Heeding the word of God... here it states "hearing ".. the word of God.. we have to remember Faith is of God.. it does Not come to us or stay with us because we heed God... either God gives us faith or he does not....hearing and heeding are Not synonymous to each other...we can hear God's word and Not heed it.. and Still have Faith...only God can determine whether He will...strengthen... restore... or remove ....our faith....