1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Challenging Common Translation Choices

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back to Romans 10:17, should we go with "so then" (NKJV) or "so faith" ESV or "no one" (CEV)? The Greek word means consequently or accordingly, or therefore. I like "accordingly" which forces the reader to look back and ask "according to what?"

The next words in most English translations are translating two Greek words, a definite article (the) and the noun in the nominative case "pistis." Reference to "the faith" usually refers to the information in which we put our trust, i.e. what we believe in. I know nothing of Greek grammar but nouns in the nominative case are used as the subject of sentences.

So far, our study has "Accordingly, the faith."

The next Greek word is the preposition "ex" (ek) which means out of and is used to refer to the source or basis of something. So "the faith" comes from or is based on something.

Accordingly, the faith is based on heeding - moreover heeding the declarations about Christ.

Accordingly means "in light of the above" this is the response, according to context.
    The faith refers to what we believe and is based on our response to the declarations about Christ.
    Heeding refers to comprehending and responding to information received.
    Moreover is used in this construction to be emphatic.
    By is a rendering of the preposition "dia" (by) indicating the means by which the gospel is comprehended and accepted.
    The declarations refers to what was reported about Christ.

2. jbible

jbible New Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I am no grammar expert as some on this site may be... but to me... "accordingly" indicates.."because of this... then that".. which basically is a "cause and effect" situation... and if we understand this paragraph.. "as a cause and effect.". or" if this, than that" situation.. I feel the words.."therefore".. "so".. "by which".. would work equally as well to refer the reader back to seek out what was first the "cause".. which needed to be explained... by.. said word...now had you asked.. about the difference.. of "even though".. or "even so".. here ......had that been the case..... than the effect relation to the cause would have been changed by adding the word "even".. but as it stands.... I do Not see any notable difference .. in. the use of the word.."therefore..".. or "accordingly"....in the same manner.. I do not see any difference in the usages of the words "faith".. or "belief" interchangeably... the disciples and Jesus did this....

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the ways bible students nail down their understand of what a verse is saying is to put it in their own words. Otherwise a person might just regurgitate what was written without understanding the message.

4. jbible

jbible New Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I have a couple better ones for you....what about KJV... 1 Cor 1:18..."which afe saved".... compared to anything else......."who are being saved"... are we saved at one point in time.. the time we accept Jesus as our Savior..?.. or are we "being saved".. an act that is constant but never in a stte of completion..?...what about Rev 4:11... ?.. the KJV tells us.. we were created to please God.... any other versions... ?.. do not tell us this... what about the NASB.... Romans 5:18... are all men justified.. through the blood of Christ... or only the ones who trust in Him?... the KJV.. tells us.. the "free gift was for all men".. which is correct.. yet not all men are Justified... I could site thousands of verses and point one in the proper translation of each... but I would not trust any single person interpreting a verse above my own interpretation..... for God has chosen..to make.. the wise, foolish and the foolish, wise...

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

1 Corinthians 1:18 (NET)
    For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

As far as the KJV translated a Greek Verb Participle in the passive (ones being destroyed) as them that perish, the tense is present in the Greek, thus ones being destroyed is an accurate translation of the grammar.

As far as having been saved (past tense) being saved (present tense) or will be saved (future tense) all three can be found in the Greek grammar of the New Testament.

Nothing happens when we put our faith, such as it is, in Christ. Only if God credits that faith as righteousness are we transferred out of the domain of darkness (in Adam) into the kingdom of His beloved Son.

As far as understanding Romans 5:18, the idea is this, by one act of disobedience (Adam's volitional sin) entered condemnation to all people, so by one act of obedience (Christ's death on the cross) entered the opportunity of justification of life to all people.

6. BasketFinch

BasketFinch Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I kid you not, any serious student of scripture knows, context is everything.

Cherry picking verses out of context is one method atheists and long practiced purveyors under Poe's Law, do that in order to attack the faith as false, or interject conflict and confusion into Bible studies by also resorting to interpolation of the Bible, respectively.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet more false charges and false claims. I did not cherry pick anything. Context is not everything.

Here is what I said, "Here it is claimed you must not study the bible a word at a time, or verse at a time, or passage at a time, or a book at a time, No siree Bob, you must study the whole Bible at one time. I kid you not..."

And this was a response to the following absurd claim: "Or, the better approach would be to take the whole of Scripture and not single out a verse." Note that rather than address what was supposedly wrong with my view as presented, yet another generalized false claim was hurled.

8. BasketFinch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Post #1(bold text and underline are my additions to make the aforementioned contextual point to address the posted criticism that cherry picked a single verse, out of context.)

"At any point in time, the active body of Christ is using the common translations (English in our case) of the day. We are familiar with the renderings, and if a translation differs we do not "like" it. For example, if you memorized verses in the KJV, you might not want to go with a version that differs.

Another problem is that a dismissive mantra might arise such as the HCSB is "quirky."

But, if you take courses, formal or informal, that teach Bible Study methods, you will find yourself as why this choice rather than that choice? Sometimes the answer is the versions are based on differing texts, CT, MT or TR. But even when looking at the verse same underlying text, translations present very different ideas.

For example, let us look at Romans 10:17, certainly an important text.

ESV
    So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

CEV
    No one can have faith without hearing the message about Christ.

NKJV
    So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

If we consider these renderings, is faith traveling to us (comes) or is the idea faith is based on or arises from something.

Or does "the word of Christ" refer to the words spoken by Christ rather than declarations made by others about Christ?

And how do we decide what to believe concerning this verse. Some posting on this Board say go with the ones you like or the ones using the most used rendering. Of course that is advocating fallacy."

Now, let us look at Romans chapter 10. Doing so will answer the posters question, "how do we decide what to believe concerning this verse."

Added to this post in reply form due to character limits on this reply window.

9. BasketFinch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Romans 10 ESV
    Brothers
    , my heart's desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved. 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

The Message of Salvation to All
    5 For Moses writes about the righteousness that is based on the law, that the person who does the commandments shall live by them. 6 But the righteousness based on faith says, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7 “or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11 For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

18 But I ask, have they not heard? Indeed they have, for

“Their voice has gone out to all the earth,
    and their words to the ends of the world.”

19 But I ask, did Israel not understand? First Moses says,

“I will make you jealous of those who are not a nation;
    with a foolish nation I will make you angry.”

20 Then Isaiah is so bold as to say,

“I have been found by those who did not seek me;
    I have shown myself to those who did not ask for me.”

21 But of Israel he says, “All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and contrary people.”

Footnotes

Now, it is better able to be understood.:)

Picture cherry picking verses like speaking in contemporary terms today.

"the homeless near my work were shooting guns near closing time and cops showed."

Someone reads that and thinks, homeless shot at cops!

No. Homeless people near my sister's work place we're firing guns in the woods behind her job. Police arrived and made arrests. No one was harmed.

#89 BasketFinch, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  10. jbible

jbible New Member

Faith:
    Baptist

You missed the point. The point I was making was Not that this verse is hard to understand.
    My point was. Depending on which translation one uses. Determines the intent of the close of this verse. In the NASB. WHICH FOLLOWS THE Greek/Hebrew very closely. This seems to state that Christ’s death was justification for all men. Or mankind. Even unsaved mankind. And we know that no one apart from Jesus is justified. Or saved. Yet in the KJV. Which follows the Hebrew text a little more loosely on this verse. It reads the ‘gift of God’. Which we realize is referring to Salvation. My point was the NASB. Made this verse seem questionable by stating all mankind is justified. Weather saved or unsaved. Where as the KJV. seems to Najee it clear that all mankind has the gift of God availed to them. Not justification. We are not justified… if we are not saved correct. ? THAT. is my point. When reading the KJV this verse is easy to understand. When reading the NASB. we have to be more discerning

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word being spoken of is referring to what is spoken to speak in Romans 10:18 citing Psalms 19:4.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rom 5:18 (KJV) Therefore as by the offense of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Your point apparently is that the KJV added to the text (words in italics) to clarify it.
    Rom 5:18 (NASB) So then, as through one offense the result was condemnation to all mankind, so also through one act of righteousness the result was justification of life to all mankind.

Apparently you understand, or think others might understand that "justification of life to all mankind" means all mankind was justified.

And here again is what I said: As far as understanding Romans 5:18, the idea is this, by one act of disobedience (Adam's volitional sin) entered condemnation to all people, so by one act of obedience (Christ's death on the cross) entered the opportunity of justification of life to all people.​

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Some post an avalanche of verbiage to deflect from admitting error.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another Greek word to consider challenging the common translation choice is "kosmos" (G2889). The literal meaning refers to the components of a system, thus our planet, composed of water and soil and other non-organic or organic material is a "kosmos." So the challenge is to determine what system is in view from the context. By using the ambiguous English word "world" the translators have chosen to leave the interpretive understanding to the reader.

Let us consider John 3:16. God loved the "kosmos" in this way, He gave is unique Son so that everyone believing into Him would not perish but have eternal life. Was the object of God's love for animals, trees, rocks or water? No. His love was directed toward humanity. So the system in view is humanity, not our planet.

If the idea had been only the Elect, then the verse should have read "... so that they would not perish..." But that is not how it reads, instead the verse addresses a subset of the "system." Therefore why not translate Kosmos here as "humanity?" One reason is to avoid the firestorm that would be waged by those holding the "Elect" view. Do other reasons come to mind?

15. BasketFinch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I saw that.
    Maybe you'll learn your mistake and correct your error in future.

After you stop deflecting and transferring to others what you refuse to acknowledge as your fault and thus responsibility.

Praying for you.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another off topic gratuitous insult post.

Some post an avalanche of verbiage to deflect from admitting error.

17. BasketFinch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yet, that's not the passage in Van's post.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another Greek word to consider challenging the common translation choice is "kosmos" (G2889). The literal meaning refers to the components of a system, thus our planet, composed of water and soil and other non-organic or organic material is a "kosmos." So the challenge is to determine what system is in view from the context. By using the ambiguous English word "world" the translators have chosen to leave the interpretive understanding to the reader.

Let us consider John 3:16. God loved the "kosmos" in this way, He gave is unique Son so that everyone believing into Him would not perish but have eternal life. Was the object of God's love for animals, trees, rocks or water? No. His love was directed toward humanity. So the system in view is humanity, not our planet.

If the idea had been only the Elect, then the verse should have read "... so that they would not perish..." But that is not how it reads, instead the verse addresses a subset of the "system." Therefore why not translate Kosmos here as "humanity?" One reason is to avoid the firestorm that would be waged by those holding the "Elect" view. Do other reasons come to mind?

I have a dream today, that one day posters will discuss bible study, fresh and insightful and edifying.

19. BasketFinch

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why do you insist on repeating yourself and now edit to admit your motive behind it?

Tragic. Truly.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another gratuitous insult post from the off topic poster of deflection.

I have a dream today, that one day posters will discuss bible study, fresh and insightful and edifying.