1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Challenging statements about the atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Feb 20, 2016.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your comments, brother. I've been thinking about your reply.

I share your conclusion of Hebrews 12:23, and after consideration I see your point regarding an imposition of faith in Christ as it is revealed when with the establishment of the New Covenant. I believe the “object” of faith to be the same in the form of God’s provision, but this provision is revealed in the New Covenant.

I’m not sure regarding Allen’s comments. At first glance I lean towards this “yet unseen” promise to be the Kingdom of God. I will have to think about this some more.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Incontestable?

That is true, But it is actually the opposite of what you say that is incontestable. To date, not one person has bothered to address this:

Hebrews 9:12-15

King James Version (KJV)

12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Can you seriously say that the benefit of remission of sins in completion as opposed to animal sacrifice does not greatly exceed the benefits of the Covenant of Law?

God bless.

3. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Methinks my 1965 (IIRC) edition of the Scofield Reference Bible did some revising of his notes after his death. There's no mention of the gap theory, and the Ussher OT chronology is specifically argued against. This edition states that "begat" can equally be translated as referencing one's father or one's more distant ancestor, and also notes that the OT genealogies may not all be comprehensive. Nor do we know how long Adam and Eve lived prior to the Fall. IMO, the 1965 edition's comments on chronology don't push the day-age concept nor make any attempt to fit OT chronology with secular science dating, but hold to a young earth, just not 6,020 years young.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The New Scofield moved the Gap Theory from Genesis to Isaiah (see notes on Genesis 1:2 and Isaiah 45:18), but it is still there, although in a watered down form. :)

5. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All the times I've read Isaiah and I never stopped at that note - thanks for pointing it out. The note cites verses that the editors hold to support "earth" in Gen. 1:2 as being our specific planet rather than all of what God created as recorded in 1:1, thus implying support for some variant ("watered down" might be generous) of the gap theory. It's not the only point on which I disagree with the Scofield notes, but as has been said of other people, "better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without."

• Like Like x 1