1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chamber of Commerce

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are there any here whose churches are members of the local of Chamber Commerce? Why or why not?

Salty

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We are, helps us stay connected with the community we are trying to reach.

3. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Church i'm at now, we are not mainly because i hadn't really thought about it...but at a previous church we were in the Chamber of Commerce for the reason stated previously. It gave us a great opportunity when there was a CoC sponsored event and we had that opportunity to share the Gospel.

4. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I have not thought of joining the CoC before. I see how this could be a great opportunity to stay connected to the community as a whole.

Great thought, thanks for asking

:thumbs:

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

My church is not a member of our CoC. Main reason: We are in no way a commercial undertaking, and as far as I can work out, Chambers of Commerce here exist only to represent commercial businesses. My encyclopaedia says:
    In Britain, a chamber of commerce is a voluntary organization, existing in most towns, of commercial, industrial, and trading businessmen who represent their joint interests to local and central government. The London Chamber of Commerce is the largest such organization in the UK; it also fulfils an educational role, running several commercial courses, for which it also sets examinations. Most UKchambers of commerce are affiliated to the Association of British Chambers of Commerce.

Perhaps CoCs in America have a different role?

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Posted in error.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any new thoughts

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

chamber of commerce

–noun an association, primarily of people in business, to promote the commercial interests of an area. Abbreviation: C of C
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chamber of commerce

Means the same thing here. Nothing about ti being connected to anything but business owneres, not the actual people who live there.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

But since our business owners live here...

Example: our church, and others in the CoC, were asked to do a prayer breakfast today. We did. Great witnessing opportunity. Straight-up Gospel was presented.

We had an ACLU guy complain, but we held him underwater in the baptistry until he got saved. :D

(just kidding on the last item)

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yes, Salty

Does it cost anything???

:wavey: :saint:

Just wondering!!

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your church is a business then by all means join. If your church is a ministry of Jesus Christ then we should not be telling the world we are a business.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Our C of C charter allows businesses AND organizations to join.

We're not telling anyone anything of the sort.

We're using our connections in the CofC to minister to leaders in our community.

Case and point: yesterday, at our prayer breakfast, a minister sat at each table, with other Chamber folks in attendance. We took time during the breakfast to go around the table and ask if there were anything we could pray for for each of the people at our table.

As I left, I saw two ministers spending time in prayer with two other business leaders. One owns a bar in town. (I had to leave, so I'm unsure of the outcome there).

Now...how is that wrong?

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yellow pages

noun - yellow pages - a telephone directory or section of a directory (usually printed on yellow paper) where business products and services are listed alphabetically by field along with classified advertising
    http://www.wordnet-online.com/yellow_pages.shtml

If your church is a business then by all means be listed in the yellow pages. If your church is a ministry of Jesus Christ then we should not be telling the world we are a business.

14. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

touche............................

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, in Camillus, it is $60 per year. The subject has been brought up, but has not been voted on by our church yet.