1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Changing denominations

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It will come as not much of a surprise to many here that Mrs B as of this week are now in the process of leaving the Baptist church we have been attending for the last 5 years and will now be attending an Anglican church a couple of miles away. Our reasons need not really be given here as they are doubtless apparent from the various posts I've made here over the last couple of years or so. If anyone's interested, our new church's home page is here .

As an administrative point, I'm trying to amend my profile to reflect this change - I've managed to amend the details of the home church but can't seem to access the denominational details - can a mod help, please?

Thanks

2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are in my prayers Matt as is your family.....what are the Blairs up to I had something about them converting as well?
    :thumbs:

Oh my what wonderful churches you have on the home page.....are they freezing cold in winter?....any chance of posting some interior shots?

3. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Thanks; no it's not cold in the winter, we do have central heating. This is the nearest I've come to shots of the interior of Holyrood; the only interior shots of St Edmunds/Crofton Old Church seem to be of the hassocks!

[ETA - have now found some pics of the interior of St Edmunds]

#3 Matt Black, Jun 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  4. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Good for you, Matt. :thumbs:

(Mods: I'm also trying to update my denominational profile, but have been unsuccessful in doing so....any instruction on how to do so would be appreciated)

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Matt,

While I'll not comment on your leaving the ranks of Baptists, I love the fact that the church to which you are moving has small home groups.

My church ( www.lighthouseministries.org [see "Home Meetings" link] ) has empowered her members to form these very same type of small home groups (we call them "cell" groups since the body [i.e., the church] is comprised of cells).

We've done this for several years now, and it's been such a blessing to me. I've learned much by fellowshipping with my brothers and sisters in Christ through this.

I've made close friends with those in my church that otherwise I may not have. We've come to pray for and lean on each other for mutual support in a way that probably wouldn't have happened by merely attending our corporate services.

Thank God for the small home groups --"cells"-- that we have!!

Blessings to you and your family.

6. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I understand that the Anglican church casts a wide net theologically speaking so I am curious is your new home Reformed leaning or Catholic leaning?

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Take a look at the website and judge for yourself, but I would say more the latter - or at least evangelical (with a small 'e' rather than the Lutheran big 'E') - than the former. One of the ministers there describes himself as 'Reformed Catholic', which on closer examination turns out to be episcopal in ecclesiology, monergist in soteriology, and receptionist in the matter of the sacraments!

More seriously, that's what I like about the Anglican Church - it is both Catholic and Protestant, and I would be happy to worship in any local Anglican Church with the exception of an uber-liberal place - of which there are far fewer in England than in North America I hasten to add.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's an oxymoron, and simply not true. In order to "be" both...you either have some serious exegetical issues with Scripture, or are trying to appease both sides. I would want no part of something like that!

9. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Thanks I missed where they said that, but I also didn't look to closely.

10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Ah, you see, that's where you and I differ (surprise, surprise!); I really have no difficulty with it and in fact welcome it - feel free to start another thread about this if you want

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How can you not see one teaches salvation by works, and the other salvation by faith alone? It's obvious you have no difficulty with it if you can freely move from one to the other, and think there is truth in both. Truth isn't relative to what you believe. Truth is truth whether you believe it...or want to believe it.

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Indeed, truth is truth. But I don't think it is quite as simple as reducing it to your 'either/or'.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

14. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Exactly...just check out my sig below. :thumbs:

15. Nate7

Nate7 New Member

There is an Episcopal Church in my nieghborhood, and I know the Rector. He is very High Church, 3rd order of St. Francis. They use the Old BCP, (which I like by the way). They also confess to him there. I think that you have to be careful. I had a friend who was Baptist, a very smart man, and he then became Anglican. After being Anglican for a time, about 8 years, he was pursuaded to becom roman catholic, and has been now for some time. He is now into heresy. I really like the liturgy there at the Anglican churches, but they seem to be often in America really liberal or moderate in thier theological leanings, even the protestant, reformed ones. I think that when you comprimise sola scriptura, grace alone, faith alone, then you are into serious heresy. I think it is a compromise with the romanists, and you might find yourself lured into heresy by being down the road lead in the rcc. Can you not look into maybe a good reformed church like PCA, or OPC? The services at those churches are more formal, and theologically correct.

16. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Just curious Nate7, can you provide me some of the Apostolic Church Fathers of the early Church which taught sola scriptura, grace alone and faith alone and considered anything other than to be heritical?
    -

17. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Aww Matt, stop splashing around in Tiber and running along its banks and just make the swim, save yourself a few years.:)

In any event, may God bless you and the Mrs. on the spritual journey the two of you are making.
    -

18. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Of course anyone can proof-text...

And, as to Nate7, I'd be grateful if you could cite any of the Apostolic Fathers who agree with your interpretation of Scripture. Nate7, I'm attracted to the Church of England precisely because it does have its roots in the Early Church and because it does have a loyalty to the Scriptures. On both counts, I think you need have no worries about me straying into heresy; on the contrary in some respects I feel I'm abandoning one or two...

19. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

While I appreciate your kind words about the PCA, Matt is in the UK.

20. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Way to go Matt - join a church that more perfectly fits your beliefs.

That's the right way to do it sir.

in Christ,

Bob