1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Changing one's interpretatiion.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 37818, Mar 28, 2020.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over the years I have changed my interpretations on the understanding of a number of Biblical issues.

Some things to keep in mind.

One cannot believe what one has not heard.

If one believes something which is not true, that can prevent one from changing one's mind about something related that is true.

One must be of a mind set to believe what is true.

One must understand how and why one believes what one believes.

One must understand one's own presuppositions.

I have found I can only change my point of view to another's only if I can exaplain a point of view I do not hold. I Also cannot cause the other person to hear what they do not want to hear.

A few of the views I have changed over the years
    * Genesis 1. A day age view to a literal 7 earth day view.
    * Genesis 6:2. The sons of God. twice. From believing they were men to believing they were angels. And back to believing they are men.
    * Pre-trib to post-trib.
    * Non-charismatic to a pro-charismatic and back to a non-charismatic.

Along the way discovering what I believed about what.

What ever the truth is I believe it. Even if I do not know correctly what it is I intend to believe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard some people claim they have never changed their beliefs/convictions. If we never change, it seems we must already be right about everything, or we are unwilling to admit we are wrong about anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Change, yep I’ve changed quite a bit.
    When I was younger I was pretty sure I knew it all, and what I didn’t know I had a fair handle on getting to know.

Now, I’m not so sure about a lot of what I thought I knew.

Yet now I’ve got a much stronger belief
    that my God
    has it all
    under control.​

Rob

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like many, I have had my thinking changed with regard to quite a bit;
    But especially with respect to His word.

Over the years God has taken me back to what the Scriptures say, despite being surrounded by many teachings coming from the television, radio, and other sources.
    He has shown me that I really didn't know anything about Him and His ways when I was a very young believer, and that has humbled me in the process.

Admittedly, I still have many problems in the flesh, but I know that by His Spirit those will eventually be overcome as well ( Romans 8:13, Galatians 5:16 ).
    That, more than anything, has humbled me where I belong.
    I also have gained confidence in who He has made me to be, and I really cannot take one bit of credit for anything He ever did for me because anything good that I do or am, is because of Him ( John 3:27, 1 Corinthians 4:7 ).

The fact that He loves me and that my sins are forgiven for His mercy's sake have always given me trouble, as I have doubted that for many years.
    But eventually His word gets through all the dull mess that is my mind and it's faulty understandings, and trusting Him ( Proverbs 3:5-6 ) instead of leaning on my own understanding, does eventually do its work.

So, whether one calls it "interpretation" or simply "having one's understanding changed / enlightened", it means the same to me.
    He changed my mind, and He keeps changing it ( Romans 12:2, Ephesians 4:17-24, Colossians 1:9, Colossians 3:10 ).

All I have to do is sit down to the table with Him ( Revelation 3:20 ).:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The older I have become, the smarter my dad became.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1