1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Changing RCC church law - or is it Bible law?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Aug 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay
    But was the previous Procedural wrong? Why was it changed.?
    But was Bible doctrine being changed?

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Salty,
    The second paragraph answers this. This is not a doctrinal change but a disciplinary change. This has to do with excommunication like I spoke about yesterday. If someone has an abortion they are still excommunicated but they do not have to go to the bishop to confess. You can go to the local priest. Now if the pope had said abortion was no longer a sin then you would have something but that’s not what he is saying. It’s kind of like Acts 15:20. Disciplinary rules can be changed. Another example is the requirement of celibacy for the priesthood. Celibacy is a disciplinary rule and could change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Marooncat79,

It would help if you applied these verses to something specific.

8. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, celibacy in the Latin Rite could certainly change. It is only a discipline within the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church. Thousands of Easter Rite Catholic priests are married and has been the practice for centuries. Even married Anglican priest that convert to the Catholic faith are allowed to remain married even in the Latin Rite. Dogma are is entirely different than what you are inferring that has happened in the Catholic Church. Dogma never changes and has not since the beginning.

Now I hope this thread does not get shut down because Catholics try to correct your misconceptions and call it Catholic propaganda. It seems we walk a very fine line on the board when trying to present correct Catholic teaching. I usually don't start threads here because of the probability that I will be accused of proselytizing. I do participate when Catholic teaching is misunderstood.

On the other hand, I want to say that I have learned so much about Baptist belief while on this board and I'm able to discuss it with my Baptist friends much better than I could have as a Baptist and not participating on a forum such as this. I appreciate being allowed to remain here despite converting to the Catholic faith after joining the forum as a Baptist.

#8 Walter, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  9. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Walter,

Congrats on your conversion! I had someone recently say to me that we changed our doctrine when we took away the requirement for abstinence from meat on fridays back in the 1960’s after Vatican II. This was a disciplinary rule and not a doctrine. By the way, this was a former Catholic that said this so do you think they knew their Faith very well? I don’t think so.

10. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are so many poorly catechized 'cultural Catholics' that they become easily convinced by other faiths that the Catholic Church is built on 'traditions of men' and non-scriptural. I always believed while being brought up as a Baptist that Catholics did not really have faith in Christ, were guilty of idoloty and worshipped the Virgin Mary and saints. I was challenged by my sister who had been a Baptist missionary and converted to the Catholic faith after finding that the 'usual objections' were not valid and that the Catholic Church was the Church that Christ founded upon Peter. I began reading about former Baptist and other evangelical pastors and evangelists that also became Catholic after earnest study of the Catechism. I will share my testimony with you sometime.

Since becoming Catholic, I have had a much closer walk with Jesus and my faith has only increased since my conversion.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God bless you Walter. My favorite Baptist convert that had an impact on me is Tim Staples. He even stayed at my house one night! The one thing I like about converts to the Catholic Faith is that usually they don’t hate their former Faith. Tim thanks God for his upbringing and his Baptist faith. But when someone leaves the Catholic Church and becomes a Protestant, look out! They must be taught to hate the Catholic Church. I see so much prejudice. So many things are said that we believe that we don’t believe.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Salty,

Oh for sure this is true. Many Catholics leave and become Protestant. Almost 100% of them did not know there Faith very well. We’ve had two generations now that have not been taught the Faith like I was taught it. You would never convert a Catholic who knew their Faith. The only other reason for leaving the Catholic Church is that they wanted to anyway. They leave and then begin making excuses for leaving. The want a faith that doesn’t demand anything out of them. People generally know that many Catholics become Protestant but what people don’t know is that there are large numbers of Protestants that become Catholic. Many many preachers and teachers have converted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I found this interesting. Not 'propaganda', just a persons take on why so many evangelical conversions to Catholicism.

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few things.

He believes and drank the Protestant Catholic "Kool•aid."

He never knew the 27 books of the New Testament are the sole Apostolic authority handed down. That they were Holy Scriptures when they were written and it was many years later when the irregular churches claimed them.

He never knew the out of context interpretation for the "Eucharist" is about Jesus being the true Manna from Heaven. That coming and believing in Jesus is the eating and drinking His blood as He taught it. John 6:35-63.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and other Catholics leave and become a Baptist!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    According to surveys, it is about is about the same number of evangelicals that become Catholic and Catholic become evangelicals. Still the Catholic Church is BY FAR the fastest growing Christian church in the world. Baptists are in decline, although there are some very large and growing churches, many are closing. Most Baptist churches in my area have two services each Sunday. This is to accommodate traditional worship and contemporary worship. Sadly 2/3 of the Baptist churches in my area have pews that are mostly empty at each service although the contemporary worship services are a bit better attended than the traditional.

#17 Walter, Aug 22, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  18. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Apostolic power to forgive and retain sin wasn’t the issue, it was how it was to be administered.

Look at this for example:

“ As the Father sent me, so I now send you “ The Father sent Jesus out with the full authority to forgive sin, and Jesus sends the Apostles out with the same authority.

Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, so I am now sending you.”22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

So it’s the same power granted by God, but it was for a time reserved to the Bishop to administer in the serious case of abortion.

19. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Bible didn’t hand itself down, or assemble itself, so it was never the sole authority in Christianity.

If people believed Jesus words, they would eat Jesus flesh and drink his blood in Covenant at the Eucharist.

Jesus wanted to make Himself perfectly and completely present to all believers down the ages. To receive Him in Covenant body and soul and Divinity.

The Eucharistic Manna is gathered and eaten Daily at Mass just as the Old Manna in the desert was gathered daily.

Jesus Flesh is real food and His Blood is real drink.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we call the Old Testament was already in existence, Luke 24:44.
    When Jesus taught about Himself being the true Manna from Heaven He had not yet instituted His Remembrance. John 6:35-63. And that was not written until about 95 or so AD. And to claim it was about the Remembrance is contrary to its contexts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.