1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Changing Web Host Provider

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by mnw, Mar 21, 2007.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

Good Day to you all. I am getting ready to move my Joomla site from one host to another.

How do I do this without losing my current site layout and content?

I would appreciate any help. Staying with www.hostonce.com is not an option but losing my info is not desirable.

Either way I would break down and cry. So, moving the whole site to a new host is the only way out.

Thanks.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know Joomla so will give some possibles: Do you have all your files on your hard drive? If so then just upload them to your new server.

If not, get an ftp program and download them from your present server to your hard drive then upload to the new server.

Let us know which option you need or the real one of these two don't cover it and we can go from there.

If the old account is free to cheap consider leaving your files there and at the top of you index page tell the visitors where the new site is located with a link to it.

3. mnw

mnw New Member

Afternoon, I have most files on my hard drive, the only potential problem is Joomla functions with a database. I am working on one option now so I'll let you know how it works.

The new host, www.knownhost.com is working very nicely. In about 5 minutes I have been able to install Mambo, Joomla, and a template in different folders just to look at and have fun. They have done in 10 minutes what hostonce.com took hours or even days to do. I am very impressed.

www.ebenezer-rising.com/mambo
    www.ebenezer-rising.com/joomla
    www.ebenezer-rising.com/templates

All that in five minutes!

It makes me wonder how much time and energy I could have saved if I had known of them sooner. It is very nice.

It comes with everything you could imagine. So far I have just played with fantastico, a pre-installed script and it is great.

4. kubel

kubel New Member

You will like KH. We have had a VPS with them for about 7 months now and are really pleased. You pay more, but in the long run it's worth it. No down time. No waiting hours or even days for tickets to be answered. And fast low-load servers. Tickets are answered in under 5 minutes. Incredible.

If your old host was using cPanel, you can issue a support ticket to KH and they will migrate everything over for you for free.

5. mnw

mnw New Member

KH has been great! I was able to transfer my joomla site over using joomlapack. My old host had a control panel of their own design... which was rubbish, so my site could not be backed up nor migrated. :(

Anyway, despite my old host being awful KnownHost have been great and my site should transfer with no problems!