1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chapter and Verse

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is interesting how often Chapter 3, verse 16 carries a critically import part of the gospel. [Some of the wording has been altered to clarify the message, IMO]

Matthew 3:16
    And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: [The anointing]

Mark 3:16
    And He appointed the twelve: Simon (to whom He gave the name Peter), [Peter chosen as foremost]

Luke 3:16
    John answered and said to them all, “As for me, I baptize you with water; but One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to untie the thong of His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

John 3:16
    “For God loved the world in this way, that He gave His one of a kind Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Act 3:16
    On the basis of faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus' name and the faith that comes through him that has completely healed him, as you can all see.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Corinthains 3:16
    Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

2Corinthians 3:16
    but whenever a person turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.

Galatians 3:16
    Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as referring to many, but rather to one, “And to your seed,” that is, Christ.

Ephesians 3:16
    that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man,

Philippians 3:16
    however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.

Colossians 3:16
    Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2Thessalonians 3:16
    Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all!

1Timothy 3:16
    By common confession, great is the mystery of godliness:
    He who was revealed in the flesh,
    Was vindicated in the Spirit,
    Seen by angels,
    Proclaimed among the nations,
    Believed on in the world,
    Taken up in glory.

2Timothy 3:16
    All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

James 3:16
    For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing.

1Peter 3:16
    and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame.

2Peter 3:16
    as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

1John 3:16
    We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

Revelatians 3:16
    ‘So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 3:16 - when you were baptized with water, all that happened was you got wet, but when we were baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ, we were redeemed, sanctified, justified, and glorified. Praise God

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another important to the gospel verse that has been modified to clarify the message, not a 3:16 verse but one from 1 Thessalonians.
    1Thessalonas 4:14 - For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. (NASB) ​

Usually "in Jesus" has to do with our putting our trust and devotion fully in what we know from the gospel of Jesus, i.e. faith in Jesus. But in the above the Greek word translated "in" is actually "dia" which means through, or by means of, or by reason of.

But do we fall asleep through or because of or by reason of Jesus? Probably not the intended message, thus the questionable translation choice.

If we look at the Greek (by means of a reverse interlinear) the translation starts out well, "For if we believe that Jesus died and rose." The next word (again) does not seem to be in the text, but of course He came to life again, so nothing to quibble about.

Now to the crux of the matter, usually "through Jesus" (or through Him, or through Christ) refers to salvation or the bestowal of the benefits and rewards of salvation. Thus a better understanding would be "For if we believe Jesus died and rose, then through Jesus, the God of those who have fallen asleep will also bring them with Him." A benefit of salvation is our bodily resurrection through Jesus.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This one is way out of context. The "you"* is singular in the Greek addressing an individual, being that messanger of the church of the Laodiceans. It is he who is lukewarm, not that whole church. *(A failure of most of the modern English translations.)

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you (37818) look back to verse Rev. 3:14, you (37818) will see the "called out" is singular, so a singular pronoun might indeed refer to a group, i.e. the church at Laodicea.

I think the natural way to read the passage is to take it that Jesus is telling the messenger what to write to the church, rather than Jesus is only addressing the messenger. We are to be zealous in our service to Christ. (Titus 2:14, 1 Peter 3:13)

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. We, it would seem, do not agree on what Jesus' message was to the 7 churches and to those 7 churches messengers.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hopefully we agree we are to be zealous for Christ.

• Winner Winner x 1