1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Characteristics of a Terrible Worship SOng

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Deacon, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Characteristics of a Terrible Worship Song [LINK]

by Ray Deck III (January 20, 2014)

• It takes Scripture out of context
    • It overuses “I will” or “I can”
    • It’s too repetitive
    • It’s too high [or too low]
    • It’s too sad
    • It employs meaningless turns of phrase

What would you add to this list?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep, I agree. Also:

* Me focused
    * Melody unsingable
    * Too much band showmanship (this would be a factor of the worship team and not so much the song)
    * Poor theology

3. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would add any song that could just as easily be sung to your boyfriend/girlfriend is a bad worship song.

4. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ah yes, the boyfriend songs.

Now, up front I prefer hymns, but do wish our song leader did them in the key written. He changes them to a much higher register and we struggle. I have to stop singing at times because my throat begins to ache with the strain of too high a key. I'm female, so I figure the men must really be struggling.

We do a good blend, and it usually IS good. There are many new hymns being written and some are just wonderful.

But Sunday we started with a boyfriend song, complete with lines about "your warm embrace."

Um, I didn't sing it as it sounded like a torch song to me. And it was all about the singer in my mind. But I watched as the men winced and hushed. They just couldn't sing such a sensual sounding song "to Jesus" as instructed. Not as men. Yeah, men are also part of the Bride of Christ but morning preaching service isn't the place to sing about the honeymoon.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, these songs are embarrassing for men to sing. I'm tempted to sit down when they are sung.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ya'll don't like repetition? Every sang "Nothing But the Blood" or "Blessed be the Name of the Lord" or read Psalm 136?

Or is it you just don't like contemporary repetition? LOL!

7. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

For me, it's not the repetition, so much as the contemporary seems to incorporate incessant repetition. In some cases it's like they sacrificed theology for emotional manipulation through repetition. Sure, a song with a chorus is going to have the same chorus sung several times. But I can recall doing youth group activities in high school (late 1990s) and the leaders were out of the bigger contemporary megachurches in the area, and their preferred "worship" music was the same verse, the same four lines, sung about fifteen or twenty times. There was nothing in it but repetition. It wasn't even deeply theological.

Give me I'll Fly Away, Not Afraid (To Cross That River), and The Old Ship of Zion over 7-11 praise songs any day of the week.