1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charles Stanley and Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin, Mar 6, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Thanks for noticing the typo I missed.

My indirect point is that the GES ( www.faithalone.org ) does not have any monopoly on the 'grace' teachings of Scripture, or their understanding of them, for that matter, by any stretch. The Wiki article has some good links at the bottom of that article, as well, generally speaking, which show that there is not one "catch-all" group that hold to these views, as well. And I happen to be a long-time associate member of the GES, myself, even while saying this. I also have some long time associations with some individuals associated with or in the other groups mentioned as well, for over 35 years, in some cases.

I was privileged to attend a conference last summer in Chicago, along with at least one other BB member, whom I got to meet there, that had several hundred attendees. There was a very strong statement and position there on grace, and the conference had no affiliation with the GES in any way, although some attendees were also GES members, as I am.

BTW, I kinda' like the moniker of Christian, myself. ;)

Ed

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't.
    Because now they have put a condition on what is unconditional - everlasting life, or eternal life.

Christ died for His people. He was God's gift to His people, and they were God's gift to Him.

Nothing is conditional to eternal life, it is purely and absolutely OF the Lord, TO His elect, FOR heaven (not as condition to their living a blessed life here on earth).

A happy blessed kingdom life here on earth, in the gospel church, now, that is pre-conditioned with faith, and obedience.

am not trying to pick a fight with you, web.
    just pointing out why I don't believe.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking of nobody being perfect, the conference is at FBC Woodstock not Jacksonville. Sorry.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a recent thread that has been closed. In it some have offered that Charles Stanley was not an Arminian. That John 3:16 conference was certainly as Arminian as it gets --and Stanley was a part of it. Besides,he denies 4 of the 5 points of T.U.L.I.P. Even his "P" is not that Calvinistic.

5. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

What, did they promote the ability to lose salvation? That would be a surprise from what I've heard from Charles Stanley.

6. mandym

mandym New Member

Neither Stanley nor Vines are Arminians.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've pretty well establised that Stanley is an Arminian.

William W. Birch has a website called The Arminian he says:"First,there are many in the Arminian camp which adhere to eternal security."

Roger Olson, of Arminian fame, says the authors of Whosoever Will : A Biblical-Theological Critique of Five Point Calvinism are classical Arminians. He said he didn't know why Vines and the others have run from the label."

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Newsflash: Dr. Charles Stanley can't sleep at night because Rippon has labeled him to be an Arminian.

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I honestly don't think Dr. Stanley, or just about anyone frets too much over being called Arminian (non-cal) or whatever. I am pretty sure that each of these men feel confident that they (for themselves) and for those they sheperd, "rightly divide" the Word of Truth. I don't think labels bother them much at all. But of course, I could be wrong as on "rare" occasions I am. :)

10. mandym

mandym New Member

I am quite sure you think you have.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright,do your best to make a case that Stanley is a Calvinist.

12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I stopped listening to Stanley because I got tired of his arminianish/pelegian teachings. But then one day I caught him teaching on election, and he sounded like he was teaching right from either the Dagg or Boice systematic. My guess is that he relies heavily on paradox, like some others I know. But in any case, that day was the exception. The bulk of his teachings are thoroughly synergistic.

13. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Would those be the Ones who would hold that "just" hearing reading the Gospel is enough to produce faith in you to save you, that we DO NOT need either "irrestible'prevelient Grace" from God to be applied to us in order to be able to 'hear?"

14. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Even though do not agree/hold to his view on Sotierology, HAVE listened tio him for years, and unless you want him to be a Theologian, think that as a teacher of the Bible in practacle terms...

He is gifted and great to listen to and applythe Bible and mature the Christians...

See him as Chuck Swindoll..

Might not hold to all they do, view it same way, but as "practical" teachers expositers of how God can use Bible to train and mature us up/

Hard to beat!