1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chase Daniel - my Heisman pick

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Pastor_Bob, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What an athlete! He's got my vote. When his offensive line does their job, he methodically picks apart the defense. His lowest passing game this year was 210 yards. He went 14 of 19 that game against Texas Tech. I can't remember if he played the entire game or not.

2. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, Missou's defense is not doing their job.

3. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I'm a Vols fan, but Tim Tebow is the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner. He is also a fine Christian.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make Tebow wait until next year like McFadden had to do last year.

Give it to McFadden.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. There is no doubt that McFadden is the best college football player in the nation this year. If Arkansas had won at least 10 games this season then there would be no doubt that he would win the Heisman trophy.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Tebow and McFadden are both deserving.

I would give it to McFadden.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

McFadden has my vote---the dude is an awesome runningback!!!!!

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

McFadden is probably the best player in the country. Of course, the Heisman rarely goes to the best player in the country. It goes to whomever the good ole boys have been conditioned to give it to based on the media machinations. So Tebow will probably win since he's the Paris Hilton pick.

There are several good players that will not get due mention.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think McFadden and Tebow are 1A and 1B, and Daniel and Brennan are 2A and 2B. It's unfortunate for the Oregon QB that he had to miss a few games or he could be there.

I think it will be McFadden because he shone out and over the opposition as much this year as last year with not as good a team as last year, and some voters will be thinking that sophomore Tebow can now wait his turn as McFadden did last year. That's not necessarily the right decision, but I think it's correct voting analysis. But hey, if Heisman voting was really for the outstanding college football player, there would be some linemen, linebackers, or non-ball handling DB's in the list of winners; such as Rich Glover, Orlando Pace, Tommy Nobis, or Jack Tatum.

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I agree with the old way, you had to be a senior but that has been long done away with and very few go to school that long any more. I too, agree that all players should be put into the mix, no matter the record of the team.
    1936 Larry Kelly end Yale(I think it was Yale).
    1949 Leon Hart End Notre Dame.
    1991 Desmond Howard WR Michigan.
    1997 Charles Woodson CB Michigan, I believe this was an anti Tn. vote some say anti Manning vote, but Manning should have won.
    If I recall correctly all the others are QB or RB.
    If we are going for who is the best player for this year then it should be who ever is the best and his year of school shouldn't mean anything(I disagree with this, I think one should be a senior but if we aren't going by that, who ever is best should win.)

Looks like the Qb for Hawaii should be in the picture on the work he has done this year, Tebow has done something this year that might take years for someone to beat and McFadden, wouldn't be as much for this year as for his work while at Ar. If it is for overall time then he should win, but if it is for this year, I think the other two are ahead. This has nothing to do with what kind of a pro player they will be.

11. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I HATE THE GATORS. I HATE THE GATORS. I HATE THE GATORS.
    It kills me to say this, but Tebow deserves the Heisman. Look at what he has done this year. He far surpasses everyone else.

I HATE THE GATORS. I HATE THE GATORS. I HATE THE GATORS.

PS. Have I mentioned how much I hate the Gators??

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I have no real way of knowing, but would suspect that both Larry Kelly of Yale and Leon Hart of Notre Dame were "two-way" players, as were many of the early winners. Other multi-faceted players of note who won the Heisman Award include Paul Hornung (QB/HB/FB/P/PK/DB/R) and the tragic figure, Vic Janowicz (TB/QB/P/PK/S), who was seriously brain injured and permanently partially paralyzed in a car accident at the age of 26.

The closest thing to "all-around", at least in this year's expected scenario would probably be Tim Tebow, with the running as well as the slinging, ya' think?

BTW, although most Heisman winners tended to be seniors, I'm not aware that there was ever any requirement that one "had to be a senior", or even a junior, or even sophomore. It is and was (at least theoretically) "most outstanding college football player of the year in the US". Why could that not, in a given year, be some freshman or sophomore, just as easily as some junior or senior?

Incidentally, the first junior to win the award was 'Doc' Blanchard, who also happens to be the oldest living recipient of the award.

More than one Heisman winner did not go on to even play any pro football, including the first winner, Jay Berwanger, Nile Kinnick, Blanchard, Dick Kazmaier, Pete Dawkins, and the tragic figure, Ernie Davis, who died of leukemia at 23.

Ed

#12 EdSutton, Dec 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2007
  13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Tim Tebow runs out of the QB position. He's basically just a mobile QB. The reason he gets so many TDs on the ground is that the Gators don't have a go-to RB.

McFadden is probably the most versatile player. He plays at HB, takes direct snaps, throws on occasion, and returns kicks.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Why don't you quit the 'soft pedaling' and tell us what you really think of the Florida Gators? :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

There is no doubt, some truth in what you have said here, however 194 rushes and 838 yds, as a runner, (that's with being sacked 12 times, as well) don't exactly translate to merely running for one's life, as a QB, for Tim Tebow, unlike say, a Colt Brennan. I did not get to see any McFadden games, but still suspect he did not throw, on a regular basis, anywhere near as often as Tim Tebow ran, but I still could see "most versatile player" used for him.

I have no personal favorites left, for the Heisman Award, at all, once Brian Brohm and Andre Woodson were effectively 'out of the running', with that happening to Brohm with the second loss of the season to Syracuse, and to Woodson, with the losses to South Carolina, and Florida, and signed, sealed, and delivered, in the loss to Mississippi State.

Ed

16. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I love the Gators, I love the Gators, I love the Gators, I love the Gators, I love the Gators!

Huh? You said that Pepsi bought Gatorade and now has the contract to sell Pepsi at the Swamp?

I hate the Gators, I hate the Gators, I hate the Gators, I hate the Gators, I hate the Gators!
    Come a little bit closer, shhhhh! I have a secret I am now a closet Gator lover. But don't tell your neighborhood Coca Cola Rep.

Tebow for the Heismann!

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To sum it up, here are some various facts as I perceive about Heisman winners and the voting thereupon:

"Eligibility" in the mind of many votes is a player being a senior or junior who handles [carries and/or throws] the ball.

A defensive player has no chance unless he is exceptional on defense and also handles the ball occasionally [returns kicks and/or plays in an offensive "package"].

An interior lineman, linebacker, or any type of kicker (unless he also plays a ball-handling position) has no chance.

A receiver would also have to return kicks and/or have substantial rushing attempts [example: Johnny Rodgers) to have a chance.

Winning the Heisman is a vastly overrated media event that compels some teams to use players in ways to get or keep media attention.

Heisman voters should not consider pro potential as a facet of their voting [IOW it is to reward performance on one level, not to anticipate performance at the next], but some, though not many, still do.

Nevertheless, the rate at which Heisman winners play to their expected potential in the pros (if they play pro at atll) is 30% or less.

A loss by the candidate's team costs votes, but that can be neutralized by "making it up" with big stats in the next game.

Today at least, a winning record by the candidate's team is essential to have a chance at winning the Heisman, and the better the record, the more votes.

It does take a "campaign" to win the Heisman, and this is related to why a lineman or linebacker has no chance-- fans and coaches only 'campaign' for them to win the Lombardi or Butkus awards.

Well, that's 10. If it's enough for fingers and commandments and the base of our numerical system, it's enough for now.

18. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Tebow runs, he does so as a QB. The defense has to respect the pass. McFadden, however, is in an offense that is anemic in the passing game. Whenever he isn't in the Wildcat/hog, the defenses key in on him, knowing that there isn't much of a passing threat.

McFadden did his damage with 8 men regularly in the box and everyone pretty much knowing that he was going to get the ball 30+ times a game, most of the time up the middle.

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Woodson an all around player? He had 43 tackles in 1997. 7 INTS, yes, but 5 PDs. If he'd been on TENN's roster, he'd be third as a DB. He caught 11 passes all year. Wow. And averaged 8 yards a punt return. Again, would've tied him for FOURTH on Tennessee's team that same year.

My favorite ancedote about Woodson's impact on 1997...he caused the Walter Camp foundation to change the way it conducts its ceremonies. The tradition before 1997 was to have the winner come gratis and speak, accepting the award, and all proceeds go to local charity (usually children's hospitals). Woodson demanded a $5,000 fee, and first class airline tickets for himself, his agent, and four other family members and two body guards, including suites for each. After his agent negotiated 2 1st class, 2 coach, 2 suites and the rest standard rooms and a fee of $3,500, Woodson reluctantly agreed to come. He left immediately after the banquet, not fulfilling the normal charity and children's hospital visits.

The charity appearances and hospital visits were done by a last minute replacement who came on his own dime, coach, at a normal room rate. His name was Peyton Manning.

20. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I would say you are correct, because up until the very early 60's players played both ways, if I recall correctly a player had to be out a play or two before he came back in.