1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chewing Gum In Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WOW , this is so controversial ! I thought this thread ( at least ) would not have to deal with C vs. A .

I lived in South Korea for a number of years . I have not observed gum-chewing among the congregants .

However , in the good ole' USofA I see jaws moving up and down like cows . It's odd to me . I am not only speaking of my church . Last Sunday I had to attend another because of a terrible accident . Yet the same thing was going on -- jowls-a-movin' due to chewing gum .

I know some of you are thinking -- "Why is he so concerned about this insignificant , commonplace occurrence ? Why can't he just pay attention to the service and let the little things fade away at worship time ?"

Perhaps I'm more aware of this phenomenon than most . But it does bother me . I think it is disrespectful ( even my Calvinist buddies may disagree with me here ) .

Can't people chew at another time ? O , don't ask me about mints and chocolates and if they are more acceptable . And yes , I am glad that no one is using a spittoon . I do not think they were ever used in a house of worship in America's past -- although they were used in the House and Senate .

I don't expect all serious replies . Jokes will be welcomed . But amidst it all -- I would like your feedback on the appropriateness of chewing gum ( and other sundry products ) while Church is in session .

Hey , I thought of a funny line . " I draw the line Rip , at blowing bubbles in Church ."

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think it's acceptable for people with bad breath. :BangHead: :thumbs:

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It depends on if you're predestined to chew gum.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm , I'll have to chew on that one for awhile Npet .

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on whether or not they share with those around them. It is acceptable as long as they don't fall asleep in church and choke on it.

6. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

As long as they aren't blowing bubbles or chewing with their mouths open, I don't see anything wrong with it. :thumbs:

7. standingfirminChrist

Out of respect for God, when they are praying, they need to remove the gum and put it behind their ear.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Put the gum behind their ear ?! How about simply putting it in the wrapper ? After prayer ( if you're in favor of the ear routine ) would you then advise them to put it in their mouths again ?

9. standingfirminChrist

if the fruit perfume smell on the earlobe is not distracting the neighbor, they can leave it there until after services.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

All in the realm of proper etiquette. Nothing more. Unless...

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know of nothing scripturally that says chewing gum in church is wrong or disrespectful. There is, however, a logical reason to forbid it, which is that children (or adults) may dispose of it by sticking it... wherever; on the underside of pews, in the hymnal racks, or tossing it under the shoe of the old fogey sitting one row ahead. Personally, I have not chewed gum for 29 years now.

My grandmother-- who I think is mostly responsbile for me being a Christian-- had a very negative view of chewing gum in church, even in 'Sunday School.' I don't remember how, but one day at her house she learned that I chewed gum the previous Sunday in SS, and she wanted to string me up. I told her "everybody else was doing it," and she replied, "If you know its wrong, then don't do it even if anybody does." I can't remember the rest of that conversation, but it seems I must have asked her why chewing gum is wrong in SS, so I don't know how she answered. She was a lot like StandingfirminChrist, though; if she had her mind made up, no persuasion of logic or scripture, or the lack of either, was going to change it.

#11 Alcott, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
  12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I know you didn't expect all serious replies, but here's one:

My wife suffered from breast cancer a few years back. Part of her treatment included massive doses of chemotherapy, and the particular drugs used have left her with some unpleasant side-effects (though nowhere near so unpleasant as the cancer itself). One of these what that her salivary glands have stopped working properly, leaving her with a very dry mouth. The doctor recommended chewing sugar-free gum. So when she does so, she is not being disrespectful.

13. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's the big deal? I always choose my fights. This is a battle that seems so out of the 50's that you're going to come off looking silly. Save the position for something important like not wearing leisure suits.

14. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Same here...when I was on dialysis I had problems producing saliva. I never thought it to be a disrespectful thing to chew some gum. I got so tired of chewing though I started carrying a bottle of water, which I'm sure people thought that to be disrespectful as well. I guess other people just need to focus on the message rather than other people's chewing activities. JMO.

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Alcott, I could care less about chewing gum or not, by any and all, but I am concerned about something else, especially since you here mentioned 'disrespectful'. StandingfirminChrist has asked you not to refer to him as "Slick". I have already brought this to your attention, myself. I do not care whether or not you agree with him, or me, for that matter, on Biblical questions and Christian practices. I do not agree with him on several points he makes. But that is no reason not to show him that respect, and follow the spirit of the BB rules of "showing grace to other posters". To not do this, while speaking of something else as "disrespectful" is, IMO, 'double-speak'.

Ed

16. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

It is not unheard for chewing gum to have been incorporated into church services and activities, according to some authorities such as Spike Jones and Lonnie Donegan.

LINK

"Here comes a blushing bride
    The groom is by her side
    Up to the altar
    As steady as Gibraltar
    Why, the groom has got the ring
    And it's such a pretty thing
    But as he slips it on her finger
    The choir begins to sing

Does your chewing gum lose its flavor
    On the bedpost overnight
    If your mother says don't chew it
    Do you swallow it in spite
    Can you catch it on your tonsils
    Can you heave it left and right
    Does your chewing gum lose its flavor
    On the bedpost overnight"

17. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

This is not something I have ever considered or really noticed before. I could not tell you if anyone chews gum or does not chew gum in our church.

So I guess to me it is a non-issue. I would prefer no one blowing bubbles in the service though lol.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I feel that if one can chew gum in a respectful manner (mouth closed, no noises, dispose of gum properly) then it's fine. But I agree on the open mouth, snapping noise issue - it's gross.

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Chewing gum while someone is speaking is rude, anyway. But to do it while someone is presenting the word of God is downright disrespectful.

This isn't even a church issue anymore. It seems like nobody has any manners at all anymore.

We even have to put a reminder in our bulletin to tell people to turn their cell phones off.

In our church, we had a young girl who was barely dressed. He mother obviously didn't raise her right and she came to the service dressed like a hooker.

The pastor took his jacket off, handed it to her and told her that she was welcome to stay, but she'd have to cover up.

So, gum chewing wouldn't be allowed.

20. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I very seldom agree with you Mike McK but you are right on with this one. I agree 100%.

Not only is it disrespectful. It can be very distracting to the preacher who is supposed to deliver God's Word.