1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chicago Bulls Fire Scott Skiles

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Dec 24, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I know the Bulls have stumbled to start the season, but this truly surprises me. And doing it on Christmas Eve????

Story

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Truly a surprise. I don't think it was warranted. Look at the Celtics and how horrible they were last season, until the Big 3. Doc Rivers should have been gone, but the front office was patient. Rightfully so.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I didn't see it coming either, but I suspect it's motivated by a couple of things. #1, expectations were higher for this team. Unmet expectations can kill a team. #2, they're not just losing, they're getting blown out. Getting blown out night after night suggests that the Bulls aren't putting forth the effort, a condition that will get any coach sacked.

I think Rivers didn't get fired because the Celtics were actually putting forth an effort last year.

4. PastorSBC1303

Any thoughts on who Paxson will select as the new coach?

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Chicago has a lot of pride, so I'm thinking someone with a lot of clout. Carlisle is available. I don't like Van Gundy's style of coaching.

6. PastorSBC1303

I am not a fan of Van Gundy at all. I listened to some Chicago sports talk radio this afternoon and they mentioned 3 possible names: Larry Brown, Mike Fratello, and Rick Carlisle.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Brown was a good fit for Detroit type of ball, but I don't see him doing well in Chicago. I could be wrong. My pick is Carlisle.

Who were those radio guys leaning toward?

8. PastorSBC1303

They didn't say.

The one thing Brown may have going for him is his previous relationship with Ben Wallace. Wallace had some of his best years with Brown as the coach and I do not think Skiles and Wallace ever really got along well.

I also wonder if this decision may have anything to do with a possible big trade coming up between now and the trading deadline. If the Bulls were to still go after Kobe, I doubt Kobe and Skiles would have worked well together either.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

You're right about Wallace and Skiles. I like Brown, but I don't know about Chicago--yeah, Wallace was quite productive under Brown. But don't for the pieces at Detroit--those guys were more mature.

I really see Wallace as a misfit in Chicago.

But don't forget that the Knicks were on Kobe's wish list. Under Isaiah? Are you kiddin' me?

10. PastorSBC1303

Kobe aint going to the Knicks. He may not go anywhere, but I think if he gets trade it will be to Chicago.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well, Kidd might be going to LA with Kobe, as long as they don't have to give up Bynum and maybe Odom. I think that will be a potential combination.

12. PastorSBC1303

I doubt the Lakers can get Kidd without giving up Bynum.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I don't think Bynum is going anywhere right now. So far, he has impressed me. His work with Kareem is paying off.

14. PastorSBC1303

I don't think so either. I think they would be crazy to get rid of him.

One thing is for sure, it should be interesting to see how things play out for the Bulls and Lakers.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Chicago really has nothing to offer LA in exchange for Kobe; LA really not going to get equal value for Kobe. In fact, few guys measure up.

16. PastorSBC1303

I completely disagree here. The Bulls have 3 quality young guards (Gordon, Deng, Hinrich) and 2 potentially good power forwards( Tyrus Thomas, Joakim Noah) plus some good role players and/or draft picks that could be packed together in some way to make a deal.

The Bulls have more than any other team in the league to offer for Kobe. Plus the fact that Kobe has made it clear to people Chicago is a place he wants to play.

While the Lakers may not get true value for him if they trade him, it would be better than having him walk and get nothing at the end of his contract.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Come on, PSBC!

Hinrich of the three guards, not the others--Gordon, too streaky. Deng still a work in progress.

Thomas too erratic and immature right now--don't know what you're going to get in the long run. Noah has potential, but too early to call.

I agree, but hardly of equal value. Don't forget that Kobe is the best player in the game and he is just 28/29--somewhere there.

What LA needs to do is spending the money and build around Kobe.

18. PastorSBC1303

Where you paying attention earlier in the year when both teams were extremely close to making a deal involving probably 2 of these three guards? Seems the Lakers have a different opinion than you do.

Deng still a work in progress? Deng is the best player on the team right now. In fact, it is rumored that Kobe has said that if he gets traded to the Bulls he wants Deng still on the team to play with him.

That is why I said "potentially good" power forwards. However, both of them were top draft picks that many teams wanted and still want.

He is one of the best, I would not say he is clearly the best player in the game right now. I think LeBron James might have something to say about that.

They keep saying they are going to do this, and yet nothing. I think Kobe is rightfully fed up with this approach and he basically holds all the leverage now. If he decides he does not want to play with LA and wants to be traded, it will happen.

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well, if they were intent on doing something, they had no choice, but to select the best players in Chicago, but that doesn't mean they were of equal or close value.

I never said Deng wasn't good, but not up there for me. No doubt, a great talent!

Kwame browne brown was drafted #1 and don't forget Darko went ahead of DWade and Melo.

Lebron is coming along quite at an impressive rate and was the best player for the season so far before his finger injury---but has some ways to go. Ask Kenny Smith or Sir Charles.

We'll, see. They're playing decent ball right now. Both Odom and Walton are healthy and playing well. We'll see.

20. PastorSBC1303

True. But that does not mean the same is true for Thomas and/or Noah.

Lebron has been slowed by that injury, but he is IMO still the best player in the league. If I had to pick one player to be on my team right now, it is James by a mile.

I do love Sir Charles, but let's face it he is not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to basketball and being an objective analyist.

This is true, we sure will.