1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chick-fil-A

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by bb_baptist, Dec 1, 2001.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

I first heard about S. Truett Cathy on Jerry Falwell's Listen America.

Today, I actually ate at a Chick-fil-A in Texas (I haven't seen one up North before) and was more than impressed with the Company.

First, they're closed on Sundays! Can you believe it? A fast-food chain closed on Sunday?! Wow!

The food was good and I also bought Truett's book. I'll share excerpts later.

Until then, why not try Chick-fil-A next time you're in the mood for fast food [​IMG]

2. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

3. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I absolutely LOVE Chik-Fil-A! I "heard" that he was told he'd never make it in the fast food industry being closed on Sundays! To God be the glory huh?

Kathy
    <><

P.S. I love the kids meals...they give veggie tale stuff all the time...they once gave audio cassette stories with moral issues like thankfulness, friendship...you get the picture.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I am impressed that they close on Sunday. Locally they one around here(a toen 35 miles away, we go a few times a year), is in the mall, so they are the only one closed on Sunday.
    I have eatent their food. I was not impressed.

5. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Well, I read his book on the flight back home today.

Some interesting facts:

1.) Truett Cathy, founder and CEO of Chick-fil-A, is member of the First Baptist Church of Jonesboro, Georgia.

2.) He is also a member of the Lord's Day Alliance of the U.S (I'll try to find out what this is [​IMG] )

3.) He has thought boys' Sunday School at his Baptist church for more than 30 years and serves on the finance committee of his church.

4.) He was named Truett after the great Southern Baptist pastor George W. Truett, longtime pastor of First Baptist Chruch in Dallas, Texas.

5.) Started out with $4,000 (his own and his brothers') and $6,600 borrowed money. Opened "Dwarf Grill" in May of 1946 in the Atlanta suburb of Hapeville.

6.) Perfected his chicken sandwich over time. Passed up the opportunity to bring KFC to Atlanta because the restaurant would have to stay open on Sunday. Started own Chick-fil-A restaurant (which was derived from the words chick and fillet)

7.) A true Baptist success story!

6. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

7. Kenneth77

Kenneth77 New Member

The restaurants also play CCM music. At least the ones I've been in. Now, all of you might not like CCM but I can assure you it is better than the secular music of today.

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

webmaster,

There are Chick-Fil-A's up north.

I live in Yankeeland now, (Philadelphia) and we have them at every mall.

I don't know much about their founder except that he does a lot with Focus on the Family. I remember a few years ago, they offered children's videos through their franchises.

I Am,

The vast, vast majority of CCM is NOT better than mainstream music.

Mike

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

9. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Speaking of CCM being played...the Wal-Mart where I live ALWAYS plays it...Anyone else notice this? Was Sam Walton a Christian? (He's departed right? If not, I apologize!)

Kathy
    <><

10. Grace

Grace New Member

Chick-fil-a is my favorite fast food place. I love their diet lemonade. They also give out Adventures in Odyssey tapes occasionally with their kids meals. So, I get kids meals sometimes. Hey, I don't want to grow up anyways...I've still got 9 1/2 months before I'm considered an adult.

11. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webmaster:
    Well, I read his book on the flight back home today.

Some interesting facts:

1.) Truett Cathy, founder and CEO of Chick-fil-A, is member of the First Baptist Church of Jonesboro, Georgia.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup! Just up the road from where we live! He is a very nice gentleman.

12. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

[​IMG]
    Source: Restaurant Business

13. wjrighter

wjrighter New Member

yeah it's about 15min from my house also,came from texas,only had one place that closed on
    sunday,wright's bbq,supported them also,wonder
    what people did before blue law? [​IMG] it's a great statement for all to see.......bill

14. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I love Chick-fil-A! I have always been impressed with the stores being closed on Sunday (except when I really really want a "Chikn-biskit" and sweet tea after chuch).

I don't know how many of you saw the prayer request that I placed in the prayer forum for my pastor's son. However, when the manager of the local Chick-fil-A visited our church one Sunday and overheard us talking about preparing meals for the pastor's family he gave us a huge stack of free meal vouchers for their use. He said that he was willing to feed the entire family until Cameron finished with his Chemo treatments etc.

Another time when I lived in Marietta, GA my church was building a huge playground on our property for community use. The local Chick-fil-A provided lunch for all the workers (90-100 people per day) for an entire week.

Chick-fil-A will always have my business!
    [​IMG]

15. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

[​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]That's a great place to eat! My kids love to go there, and it's a nice place to go after a late-night movie or trip to the mall. Yum!

Julia

16. RebelBaptist

RebelBaptist New Member

The Rebel Baptist practically LIVES at Chick-Fil-A!

Chick-Fil-A is my favourite "fast food" restaurant. They are always clean, always friendly, and the food is always outstanding. I have never been disappointed with Chick-Fil-A. The ones in Tallahassee are really good (as opposed to the McDonald's restaurants here, which are toxic).

60 Minutes had a profile on Mr. Cathy some time back. It highlighted how he has missed out on 100's of millions of dollars over the years because he will not allow his restaurants to be open on Sunday. But as he said, he has never missed the money in the first place, so why be concerned? I love his attitude. One thing he does worry about, though, is that when he passes on, he doesn't want the company to start opening on Sunday. I can only hope that they will follow his wishes when that time comes.

Hmm, I think I will go and eat at Chick-Fil-A today!

From the Southland,
    Rebel [&gt;&lt;]

17. kman

kman New Member

Chick-fil-A is great. I just wish there were one closer to where I live :(

-kman

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The one in the town where I live has been putting little pieces of paper in with their meals; basically reminders of the reason for the season.

I love that place. Too bad my wife doesn't like chicken. [​IMG]

19. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

That's just great!

20. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

VERY kewl place! COWS! They have cow screen savers, but even cuter, the cow calendar! I WANT IT!
    I was in NM when they opened one in a mall there. (1984 or 5?) Had a person dressed as a big chicken standing outside handing out chicken nuggets. LOL
    I do wish they'd get one out here! I should look more into Wendy's history, there's gotta be something. Of course I'm only going on the fact that they refuse to pass out icky kids toys, but just that says a lot. :D
    Gina