1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Child molesters and other perpetrators in church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by El_Guero, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I went to a larger church where a child molester was protected by the pastor. His sentencing phase (after pleading GUILTY) was eight hours long because they had so many character witnesses. The prosecutor said they were amazed that the church pastor got on the stand and said everybody in the church knew about him and backed him 100%. I worked with the guy for a year in the television ministry and they didn't tell me because my step-daughters had been molested by their real dad and they knew how I would feel.

The pastor lied to many people saying he only did this once. While the man's own court records (written by him in the plea bargain) said he did it three times a week from 6 years of age to 15. We found out aboout this from the newspaper.

The pastor did everything he could to get him off and even sent him to a Christian counselor who now works (yes I said WORKS 75 bucks an hour) full time at the church counseling marriages--The counselor testified that he had no craving for children so he wasn't a pedaphile. The pastor said everybody knew of him and was behind him among a lot of other lies and the music minister also lied. They didn't tell the police until the counselor turned it in to DHS. The police detective threatened to put the pastor in jail herself if he ever didn't turn one in again. The pastor used his political power and got her knocked from detective back to patrolman.

The guy was setenced to two 15 year sentences, but they were reduced to 1.5 years because of all of the character witnesses believed in this "chiristian" (who didn't start coming to church until he got caught, by the way). He now works in the church around kids.

I watched him several times from a hidden spot while he would walk past windows we had into the nursery and stand and watch the kids. When someone would walk up he'd run over to the coke machine and act like he was getting a coke, only to return to the window after they left. This was AFTER he got out of prison.

He is STILL being protected by the church even though they have a new pastor. I'm waiting to see what his action is going to be about this guy. All of the deacons know about him, but none of the parents with kids have been warned except through grapevines. There was an active push to hush it up and fix it so he wouldn't have to go to jail at all. The pastor that was there supposedly threw books against the wall when he got back from the court-house because it was going to be made public that they were trying to get him off.

Of course, like all other stories there was a lot more crookedness. I talked to a deacon who takes care of the kids in the church and he told me that I needed to learn to keep my mouth shut and that I this would start a bon-fire in the church and I wasn't about to do that in HIS church.

So, I left.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I could agree with the first part - but, allowing him to work in the church tells the children he is an adult leader - IMHO.

I disagree - Christ separated out harming children. I take that as a different kind of offense. Paul tells fathers not to provoke children. And frojm what I have seen, there is no greater provocation than for a child to be molested. I am not just referring to incest - all molestation is BAD. Every 'crazy' person that I have known and personally discussed their past with, was molested. I just WILL NOT give a perpetrator a second chance to OFFEND like that. I cannot judge their hearts and see that they repented.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Phillip

I apologize for what you have had to go through. And I pray that the perpetrator is 'healed'. I do not want another child sacrificed on that evil altar.

Thank you for sharing, I know it could not be pleasant.

Wayne

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Pastor Larry

I do not think it is our job to make people 'feel' safe.

But, I do think it is our job to make them safe from predators. At least from within the Church.

God bless you bro'. He never told us it would be easy, did He?

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

wow, I get up for ten minutes and six posts magically appear! :)

No, WinDork, I am not a sexual offender, nor do I know one, but thank you for your concern. :rolleyes: :praying: and I do not defend the perverts. I am sorely tempted to be very offended by your statement towards me, WinDork, however, I am simply saying that while I may not be able to trust them again that does not mean that Christ cannot change them for the good.

El Guero, I should have been more specific earlier when I was talking about there being a time period where they can prove themselves.....I was referring to such things as adultery. A person who has fallen so low as to perpetrate a perversion on a child has to face some very real and harsh consequences for that.......I agree.

ps, how do I report a post on this new forum?

#25 bapmom, Jul 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Philip,

I don't know why a church would conduct itself the way it did in your post. That clearly was not the way it ought to happen.

El Guero,

yes it was a sexual sin that was dealt with in Corinthians........"that a man should have his father's wife".

#26 bapmom, Jul 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Only if there is an unbiblical approach to ministry in the church. The Bible teaches that everyone is to be serving in teh church, not just the leaders. So if everyone is serving as everyone should be, then this guy doesn't look any different than anyone else. Besides in capacities like setting up and tearing down, or cleaning, the are "behind teh scenes" ministries that are vitally important, but not public. It would be sin for the church to not allow this person to serve in the church in some capacity.

But he didn't. He likened the offense of spiritually immature believers to offenses against children. But having said that, how is molesting a child a greater sin than committing adultery? It isn't. OR than stealing? It isn't. It has different social consequences. I am not minimizing child molesting. I am rasing the bar on everything else. Church discipline is for any unrepentant sinner, not just the really bad ones.

I agree absoultely

I will not give them a second chance to offend like that either. And if you think I have suggested that I would, then I have miscommunicated or you have misread. But following the biblical commands regarding restoration for sinners is not giving them a second chance to sin by molesting. It is actually the opposite ... setting up yet another wall of discipleship to help them not offend.

A person who is a child molester will never be able to work in children's ministries again at any time in his life. But that doesn't mean he can do nothing in the church. This is a place where I believe we have to let the Bible determine our approach, not our personal sensitivities towards a particular sin.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even in prison, a child molester is the lowest of the scum and treated as such by other inmates. Why? Even criminals of the basest sort know that this kind of behavior is symptomatic of unchanging inner drives, the worst sort of reprobation.

1. If such were in God's church, they should be disciplined; that is part of my eldership to "guard" the flock

2. All members of God's church should be safe and protected; that is part of my eldership as "under shepherd"

3. The law of the land is as much a "minister" as I am and if someone is a murderer or molester or thief, I must not HIDE them, protect them, speak well of them - I must allow the authorities God established in my government to do their job.

I do not appreciate folks being called (or implied) they are molesters just because they post differing views here on the BB. Please be careful to realize that.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Pastor Larry,

I humbly submit that you should read the posts by those that were injured as children. Read the examples listed in professional literature. Go and listen to some victims.

Humbly, offenses against children destroy about 10%. I admit that it shows the resiliency that God has built into the human. But, molestation almost always leaves a BITTER AND DEEP ANGER. It starts a cancer. It is a boil with in the body of the believers.

I handle it differently than you do. We both have Scripture. And our application is different. Thankfully, God is leading us to different areas of His ministry. It also sounds as if He chose to gift us differently for His purpose. That is my hunch.

I am harsh on the topic, because that is one of the areas that God has gifted me in. Trust me I do not understand it, but victims usually trust me. Part of it is my absolute INTOLERANCE of the action (sin) that led to their becoming victims.

But, the few victims that did not trust me . . . scarred me for life. To know that their pain was deep and caused by another. To know that there was nothing I could do - hurt me deeply. I think I became more compassionate towards the victim.

I do know that I am intolerant - and a perpetrator will know the swiftness of that even before they might be able to raise their ugly head. I know that you feel this is wrong. But, I read what people have written about their past - and it hurts me. I won't let someone stay and set up chairs in a church that God has me leading - KNOWING that their addiction is life long. KNOWING that there has BEEN NO known cure. KNOWING that all perpetrators claim they are healed - which ones are and are not - I cannot judge their hearts. I will not even try. The collateral damage that one molester can do is TOO GREAT, IMHO.

Statistically, if one molester gets to 10 victims - they have continued the cycle of abuse to the next generation. 90% of the victims do not become perpetrators (approx 10% do)*.

And that is too great of a risk for me to take.

Wayne

* This is from memory of data 12 - 15 years ago when I studied becoming a psychologist.

#29 El_Guero, Jul 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2006
  10. bubba jimmy

bubba jimmy New Member

Our God is great enough to deliver from any kind of bondage whether it is drug addiction, sexual perversion in general, or pedophilia specifically. I do not believe that any pedophile can be cured through counseling or therapy. Only the redemptive power of Jesus Christ can deliver from such bondage, in my opinion.

Thus, how are we to interact with a person who has done such things? Out of love, of course. Can we love a redeemed pedophile? If not, we'd better hit our knees. Do we put them in charge of children? Absolutely not, any more than we'd put a redeemed drug addict in charge of the police evidence room that is filled with drugs. Why not? Because we love them, that's why.

11. Kris

Kris New Member

Many people have responded with some great information. The responses that result in the perpetrator being near the victim after the assult are concerning. This is VERY serious. Necessary precautions must be taken whether the assult actually happened or not.

This perpetrator SHOULD not be apologizing to his young victim, at least not now until she is of legal age and consents to it. That would be a form of child abuse, PERIOD. The foster kids we had would have been mortified to see their rapist again.

It would also minimize the assult. Placing adultery and child molestation in the same catagory minimizes it also. I agree sin is sin but there are levels of sin. Probably half of the people on this BB board have committed adultery a time or two in their life (f not, they thought about it) but how many have sinned against a helpless child in this sick way, or even thought of doing it?
    Restoration should take place OFF church grounds, and the perpitrator should find another church to attend after. It's best if people not in authority positions suggest this (to avoid legal consequences) to him so the church can avoid legal consequences. The perpitrator should NEVER be allowed to be around the victim, period. HE is like an alcoholic in a liquor store, except the result of his weakness is ruining a soul forever. He can possibly be restored, only God knows, but that doesn't justify deliberately allowing him to ever have a chance to do this sin again. We know that the eternal road is narrow so take the necessary precautions.

I know a few child molesters and they still avoid being around children, good for them! I like them both, and have grown up with them. One attends our church, well actually just bible study. He is not welcome in church service because kids are there. The other molester is involved in a bible study and promise keepers (Adult functions) Both admitted to the crimes. I believe this is unusual but our church has alot of stable foster parents, social workers etc...who watch him.

It is not the churches obligation to mail letters to other churches warning them of this guy. It could get possibly get them in legal trouble depending upon the circumstance. Remember, the accused could be innocent. Restoration yes, mathew 18 yes, but do not put this young child EVER in any situation, or another child at church, in a situation that could result in even a bad "look" from across the room from this guy to another child.
    All of the biblical procedures can be followed. I t's our human side that keeps going back saying the perpetrator should be in church etc...
    The child has a right to go back to church with her friends who can support her during this time. I would get a restraining order (If I was the Pastor) against him, or ask a member to do so then is not allowed to come onto church grounds at all in the future. Just say he is "harrasing" others (even if he isn't) by being there. Our good friend is a judge who grants these orders. It would likely make no difference to the judge if the guy was REALLY harrasing anyone since the situation calls for it anyway. Just my lay opinion.
    It's very sad this Pastor hasn't at least sent a card to this little girl & her family yet.

Church funds could be used to help pay for counseling for both families. Always involve the authorities as others said upon a situation like this. Just my two cents worth

12. Kris

Kris New Member

wow, while I typed my post in just a few minutes there were many messages that appeared too !

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Kris,

no one said that the perp ought to be back in the same church as the victim.

and I don't think you should suggest lying to a judge in order to get a restraining order. The court system is not there for us to "police" our church discipline for us. If a restraining order is called for, then the victim can get one on his/her own, and it would include church times. There is no need to lie and say he is harassing members if he isn't.

14. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Honestly I think we are pretty much on the same page here, we just don't realize it.

El Guero, I understand your concerns. I also would want to be sure that that person is not able to molest any other child again. I think all of us have agreed with that, and said that there ought to be measures taken to ensure accountability.

I think it boils down to whether we believe a sinner of this particular offense can be rehabilitated. Rehab does not mean that we let him have a Sunday School class again....just like we don't put a recovered alcoholic in charge of the communion wine.

All we are saying is that with the proper restrictions and supervision, JEsus Christ can help these people overcome and become fellowshipping Christians.

Philip's example earlier made me think of something else. As churches I do think we need to be more open and honest with what is actually going on inside. The thing is, when rumors start going around the truth is often lost sight of. So when something has happened.....an accusation or something proven....then the pastor needs to get up there and explain to the church what is being said and what his response to it has been. There needs to be some accountability for the accused, too. And after legal punishment we need to not forget consequences.....like limitations of future ministry, and the need to be supervised at all times.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I had a better post, but the server busy gremlin got it:

I think someone must be joking about the perjury and collusion of the court system.

I hope that this is just satire. But, if not, then it sounds like there might be a public admission of perjury here. If this is, it would show unrepentant sin as well. Since it sounded like the pastor might be in on the collusion, I might suggest sending a PM to one of our kind pastors. I hope it is not me. ;)

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I have read posts, read books, studied the literature, and talked to the victims. I am familiar with the issues. I guess I just have the problem of believing we should do what Scripture says. (I say that jokingly in a way. I don't mean to imply that you believe differently. However, I think you have some biblical conundrums.)

If your use of Scripture does not involve restoration for repentant sinners, then you are not handling it biblically. I don't see any way around that. Scripture gives no other option that I can find. On what biblical basis can we exclude a repentant sinner from the congregation of the saints? (Again, I have said he may need to find another biblical local church, but we cannot deny him membership and fellowship.)

If your intolerance does not include following biblical mandates, then I think it is wrong, and what I "feel" has no bearing on that. I will guarantee you that you are not harsher nor more direct with child molesters than I. I do not feel it wrong to confront child molesters, to go with them to the police to start the legal process where necessary, to keep them away from victims and potential victims, etc. But the Bible is clear on how we treat repentant sinners.

Then you are not responding biblically. How does setting up chairs hurt a child molester? Think about it? This would be a great opportunity to work along side them to develop a relationship with them. Those hours of set up and tear down provide hours of fertile conversational and discipleship soil. It build relationships and establishes accountability. If you tell him he can't do anything, he is more likely to drop out of church, the one place he needs to be above all else.

You say there is no cure. It is tantamount to a denial of the precious blood of Christ and his transforming power when you say that. 1 Cor 6:9-10 makes clear that there is a cure (such "were some of you"). The world teachers there is no cure. That is purely worldly psychology without basis in Scripture. I will never put a child molester back in a situation where they could regress, but that is not becuas there is no cure.

In the end, we have to decide if we will respond biblically or not. Those are the only two options.

On what Scriptural basis do you tell a man or woman that they have to be disbodient to Chrsit because of their sin? When you tell them they have no place of service in the church that is exactly what you are doing. God commands all believers to be involved and ministering in their local church. You have no right to tell them they can't, no matter your personal feelings about their sin. I think you are headed down a dangerous road here.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I agree with Bob's statements here. I do not think they rule out biblical restoration and forgiveness. Guarding the flock involves guarding the repentant sinners among the flock, whether they be child molesters or any other kind.

18. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I don’t think biblically that we have any options. Again, we need to decide whether or not we are going to respond biblically. He should not do it alone, and perhaps not in person. But it must be confessed or we are allowing sin to go unaddressed in the church.

They are the same in that they are sexual sins that are an abomination to God. They have differeing social connotations. But an adulterer and child molester should be treated the same by the church, as should a thief or a murderer. That was the context of my statement.

The location is not important. It is a matter of convenience between the parties. However restoration to the church must take place when the church is assembled.

God has stated clearly that he can be restored, if he confesses.

Which has been stated by everybody here, I believe.

No, actually the Bible declares, yes even demands, that he be in church.

I think this demonstrates how unbiblical our good intentions can sometimes be. Asking someone to lie on behalf of the church is unconscionable. As I said, the perpetrator should probably be encouraged to attend another church. If it were here, I would find him a church and talk to the pastor about the situation so that he is fully informed.

Again, we must be biblical, even in this kind of sin.

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Pastor Larry

We use the same Scripture. We interpret those passages differently. And yet, I do not call your stance un-biblical. I appreciate the same in return. And I think this is one difference in our approach to interpretation over this matter.

I do believe in restoration - but, I know that I cannot tolerate that particular sin in the church body.

Half jokingly, yet almost seriously - I will send any perpetrators to you for handling - because God gifted you with the ability to love in spite of that sin.

Completely seriously (but seasoned with a little satire), I can love a sinner of any kind. But, I just CANNOT take the risk of that in the Church body. Yes, I am being selfish - if I walked in on a perp doing that, it would take the entire deacon body and a dozen cops to pry my hands off his (or her) throat. Not that that would do the perp any good - I would have already yanked the devil out of his (or her) rib cage.

The real difference is in our Godly gifting. God has, IMHO, gifted us differently for the Church. God gifted you with loving and forgiving an offender in this issue. And, God has gifted me with protecting the Body (especially little children) from this issue.

I have not gone to your ability to interpret or not. Nor have I gone to your motive - because I truly believe that both are from God. However, both my motive and my ability to interpret are from Him as well.

God bless

Wayne

#39 El_Guero, Jul 5, 2006
  20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Wayne,

I am not trying to imply anything. My questions are not about your motives and ability to interpret. My questions are kindly and sincerely directed at your willingness to be obedient to what seem to be clear commands about restoration. On what biblical basis can we exclude an repentant sinner? I can't think of one, and so far you haven't offered one. It sounds to me like you are expressing direct intentions of being disobedient to Scripture in the matter of restoration of repentant sinners. Restoration is nowhere close to toleration, but it seems you are making that connection for some reason.

You do not have less of a toleration for this sin than I do. I hate it as much as you do. I have no intent to tolerate it in the body.

The difference here is not gifting. Love is not a gift; nor is protection of the flock. THey are responsibilities of obedience. To love sinners is to do what Jesus did. He didn't tolerate their sin, but he loved them where they were and changed them. And he has called us to do the same. On what basis are certain believers exempt from that requirement to be involved in ministry to sinners?

I am not following your thinking as to how you avoid these matters concerning restoration to fellowship and ministry.

You seem to imply that I do not take this sin as seriously as you do, that I believe in tolerating it, and standing aside when it happens. I don't konw where you have gotten that from.

In the end, I don't think it is about gifts. I hate loving people (how's that for wierd?) I have to work very hard at it. But I think we have no option if we are to do what Christ called us to do.

#40 Pastor Larry, Jul 5, 2006