Children's church, Sunday School and nurseries

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Feb 26, 2018.

1. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That respondents would focus on J. D. Hall rather than what he said in the quote I pasted. I think that is called ad hominem argument.
    And his spelling, which we might more graciously accept as a typo rather than thinking he needs to go back to grade school.

2. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please, don't put him into a classroom with youngsters! GED or independent study for sure.

Sorry, it was just sticky P.

3. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fie on thee and thy sticky P (whatever that is).

4. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moving on from Heathen Hall and stating it myself, I would also consider a restaurant that wanted me to check my grandchildren at the door as not being “family friendly.” And there are at least some churches that expect this.

5. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, instead I see it this way:

A restaurant that welcomes the kids to sit with the parents but they also provide an additional dining room for kids with kid sized tables, food that the kids would enjoy, their sized silverware, cups with lids and fun entertainment and/or learning geared towards the kids. :)

6. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't that how he might've "mistyped" leper as lepper?

7. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps so. I don't need anything sticky on a keyboard to be able to mistype.

8. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what would be their motive -- because on principle the restaurant loves kids or a wise business decision to make more money? A church's mentality to provide everything for everybody often comes off that way as well.

9. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do some primitives allow entire families to be seated together now? The old timey way separated families in seating.

P.E. Burroughs, The Baptist People, p. 45:

The History of the European Family: Family life in the Long Nineteenth Century 1789-1913, p. 215:

10. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same with the Puritans and Methodists, apparently:

Robert J. Dinkin, "Seating the Meeting House in Early Massachusetts," New England Quarterly, Vol. 43, No. 3 (Sep., 1970), p. 457:

19th Century Southern Methodist preacher deemed family seating a modern and unwelcome innovation:

11. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I wonder if these folks are ever tempted to take advantage of the "kids eat free off their own menu" deals? Or would they reject such on principle?

12. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If by primitives you mean Primitive Baptists, I can only say that there has been no seating segregated by gender in any Primitive Baptist Church I've ever visited (which is quite a few, but mainly in Texas). But I would not be surprised to hear that some more isolated churches still practice this.
    I was intrigued that Burroughs implied this was a bygone practice after the 19th century. This was, from what I have been told, still common in rural Baptist churches in East Texas in the early 1900s, but was breaking down by the 20s and 30s. I am aware of one black missionary Baptist church that continued the practice into the 1970s.
    Reading further down it seems Pierce's primary objection was that once the division of seating was abolished, the unmarried males and females would be sitting side by side!