1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

China--bound

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Rippon, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi folks. I will be going to China to live and work.
    So, I will not have the freedom to be posting with liberty as I have in the past.
    I will have to wait and see.
    If somehow I can post I might have to use coded language. It just depends --the great unknown.

#1 Rippon, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
  2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where will you live ... which city? My wife and I worked several times at a large university in Xi'an.

Be flexible. China is a different world ... a fascinating one. The people were very friendly. They have a concept of "foreign friend" in their culture. In fact, they seem to treat foreigners better than they treat each other.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What has lead to this Rippon? I pray that you are a blessing there in China and that there will be those who will come to know the Lord through you. We have a great ministry to Chinese students at our church and it's been amazing to see these young 20s (they are graduate students) who are so brilliant yet never even heard the name of Jesus!! We've been blessed to see many come to the Lord and have had some stay in our home - and we recently went to a blessed wedding of two young people who knew nothing about Jesus just two years ago and now they want to base their marriage on Jesus. :godisgood:

Again, God bless you as you begin a new life in China!

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That's awesome! Please say which part. There's family is Guangxiao. In fact, just got a package of goodies from there for the girls!
    It's a lot more open than even 10 years ago.
    I take it you're going as an English language teacher, right?
    They sure could use that. :flower: God bless your efforts!

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon, there is an excellent book by Peter Hessler, "River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze River." He writes about the two years he taught English in a small Chinese university. The book will give you some insights into teaching in China.

Two other good book on the experience of teaching in China is Mark Salzman's "Iron and Silk and Bill Holm's "Coming Home Crazy: An Alphabet of Chinese Essays.

One big difference between the students you will teach and those I knew when at a university in China is the current students are from the one child policy generation. Each knows they are the most important person in the world. All-in-all I believe you will enjoy interacting with them very much.

Again, be flexible, roll with the punches of cultural differences and you will have a great time. China was one place where I was at times totally frustrated and totally enchanted at the same time.

Have a great time. Keep a blog or journal. You will prize it later. If you keep an online blog let us know where we can find it. Thanks in advance.

#5 Crabtownboy, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
  6. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Safe travels, Rippon! Check in when you can!

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Cool Rippon. I'm sure you'll be a blessing!

I'll keep you in my prayers.

:)

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm spending two nights in Hong Kong at a guesthouse. The city is rather impressive at night. (Not taking anything away from the daylight hours.)

Thanks to those who chimed in. I may respond at a later time to specifics if I can.

Meanwhile --I am H-U-N-G-R-Y! So I will do some investigating...later consumption.