1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chinese 4x4 gets zero in safety test

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben W, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

The first Chinese car to be sold in Europe has scored zero — the worst-ever score — in safety tests.

The JiangLing Landwind was displayed at the Frankfurt Motor Show last week and is expected to arrive in British showrooms within months. It is already on sale in Holland, Germany and Belgium and has been billed as the vanguard of a new invasion of Chinese vehicles.

The two-ton 4x4 scored zero stars in crash tests last week by the ADAC, the German automobile club, which carries out tests for Euro NCAP. “It had a catastrophic result,” said a spokesman for the ADAC. “In our 20-year history no car has performed as badly.”

Testers calculated that a driver would be unlikely to survive a head-on collision at 40mph, and in a side-on collision at 30mph the driver would suffer severe head and chest injuries due to a lack of side protection.

“This car seems to belong in the 1990s in terms of engineering,” said Chris Patience, head of technical policy at the AA Motoring Trust. “We will wait for the official Euro NCAP results, but if it really is that bad we hope people will think very carefully before buying this car.”

With an expected £10,000 price tag, the Landwind is designed to rival cars such as the Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson, both about £5,000 more expensive. The Chinese maker plans to sell at least 1,000 models before July 2006.

http://snipurl.com/i4zp

2. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I certainly won't buy one, and I avoid as much as possible purchasing anything from the Chinese Communists.

3. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I don't see them making it big here.

4. Petrel

Petrel New Member

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Seems like if they were going to build a car they would have first looked at what was good already and tried to improve upon it.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The early Toyotas and Datsuns weren't exactly marvels of engineering, but the companies overcame that. The Chinese will improve their engineering and take advantage of their low wage rates to make a product that will find a niche.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no doubt that they will continue to improve, look for them to make an impact in about 10-15 years.

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is still probably better than the pieces of junk on most of china's roads.

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably better than mine too — I'm driving 1980s engineering.