1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chinese history

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by wulaishiwo, Apr 18, 2011.

1. wulaishiwo

wulaishiwo New Member

Does anyone like Chinese history. I like the period of Yuan. Back than the Mongolia have the largest territory in the world. Unprecedented, no one after.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My spouse and I have been interested in China since I was a kid . Her dad was with the Flying Tigers in WW II. Most of my reading has been on the history of China from WW II until now, with an emphasis on the era of Mao, with a special emphasis in that era of the Great Leap Forward ... which was a disaster for China. Jonathan Spence wrote a very readable history of China entitled, "The Search for Modern China."

Perhaps you have read the Dream of the Red Chamber and also The Three Kingdoms. Many say the only way to begin to understand China is to have read these classics.

3. wulaishiwo

wulaishiwo New Member

You have known much about China. The Dream of the Red Chamber and The Three Kingdoms is call the four classics with All Men Are Brothers and Journey to the West. But the reason they are famous is the great colorfulness and just reflect the ancient culture of China. China have experience huge changes since the the Revolution of 1911. Now all those book are mostly the database for professors to study.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, much has changed in China since 1911. In fact much has changed since 1986, the year I first visited China. However the underpinnings of the Chinese culture is still very much in tact. China really was never a Communist country in the true sense of the word Communist. Rather it was a Confucian country with Communist lipstick.

It is not just professors who study the classics. There are groups, lay groups if you will, all over China that meet and discuss these classics. There are BB's on the internet that discuss them also.

The Cultural Revolution was such a disaster for china. So many places and objects from antiquity were harmed or destroyed. It was a very sad era and resulted in what the Chinese call the "Lost Generation." Also the "three bad years" 1959 to 1961 were horrible when up to 60 million Chinese starved ... and it was totally the fault of a corrupt and fear ridden government.

It will be very interesting to see how the one child policy will affect the Chinese culture. Family has been so very important in China throughout the ages. The one child policy is destroying family as it has been known.

Here are several titles of good books on China:

"A Higher Kind of Loyalty," by Liu Binyan.
    "Wild Swans," by Jung Chang
    "The New Emperors: China in the Era of Mao and Deng" by Harrison Salisbury
    "Life and Death in Shanghai" by Nien Cheng
    "Iron and Silk" by Mark Salzman.

"River Town" by Peter Hessler. This is an extremely interesting book on one American's experiences teaching in China. Many of his experiences parallel my experiences in China.

These are simply a few of the good books on China in the modern era.

Cheers and happy reading.

#4 Crabtownboy, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chinese food yes....their history, not so much.:wavey: