1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chinese KJV equivalent

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by neisen, Dec 20, 2002.

1. neisen

neisen New Member

Hi,

Greetings in the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. I am new to this bbs, and hope to be a blessing whenever I come on.

I would like to know if there has ever been, and if there presently exists, any Chinese equivalent to the KJV. If not, is there anyone working on such a translation? Any leads or information would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Neisen

2. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, welcome to the board. Secondly, I don't know, but I'm interested in the answer!

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you want a KJV equiv. of the Bible in Chines? What a giant waste of time and money! Here is a thought how about coming up with a Bible for the Chinese from the manuscripts that are available. Besides there are several types of "Chinese" spoken so one translation would work for all the Chinese.

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    wouldn't work

5. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I have read that the Chinese Union Version (CUV) is the closest to the KJV.

6. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a family from our church that is serving the Lord in Beijing. The Bible they use is in Mandarin Chinese. He said it was translated from the KJV.

7. Forever settled in heaven

it depends on what level of equivalence u mean:

1. 52 pigtailed Anglican scholars the world will never again know, convened in Beijing?

2. a Bible bearing the imprimatur of Ziang Zemin, authorized to be read in his Three Self churches?

3. a Chinese Bible containing the Apocrypha n referring to the Holy Spirit as an "it"?

4. a Chinese Bible based on the Romanist Douay-Rheims n revised Textus Receptus?

5. a Chinese Bible bearing archaic forms deemed by some as superior to modern Mandarin?

6. a Chinese Bible recently superseded in divine providence by a more-modern translation?

7. the list goes on ... but u gotta be clear. ;)

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Chinese translation made from an English translation?

(1) This elevates the English to the position of the basis for a translation (to the originals)

(2) This denigrates the Chinese, saying they cannot have a translation from the originals and they will get the "baggage" that would come from now a third degree translations.

(3) Why not ask which Chinese translation is closest to the TR or the Greek?

God forbid.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

10. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. Perhaps this only shows that the man/men who undertook the task of translating the Bible into Chinese did not have a working knowledge of the original languages. Therefore, they translated from a source that they believed to be true to the originals.

I don't think anyone would elevate an English translation to a position equal to or above the originals.

11. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Um, what? Are you new to KJV-onlyism?
    :confused: [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Son of Consolation

Son of Consolation New Member

Thanks Gina, it was a most informative link! [​IMG]

13. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

My thoughts exactly. Chinese Bible translators should use the original languages, not English.

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Dr. Bob: (3) Why not ask which Chinese translation is closest to the TR or the Greek?
    God forbid.

Gina: It may not be exactly waht you're thinking. I would have asked the question in the same way. The average person has no clue what TR means, and many wouldn't even be able to tell you that any part of the bible was once written in Greek.
    So what do they do? They go with trying to find a bible closest to the one they use, in this case the KJV.
    Not everyone is as knowledgable as you. ;)

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I agree. The best translation would be one that's translated directly from the original language manuscripts directly to chinese. Otherwise, you ended up with a game of "biblical telephone".

I'm no expert on Chinese, but my understanding is that you could have two dialects like Mandarin and Cantonese that may need independent translations. Not to mention all the other dialects as well.

16. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Amazing how the wolves jump at any opportunity to bear their personal discontent with the KJV.The question was for a chinese translation from the KJV. The issue is not manuscript or preservation or any of the other things the wolves turn it into it is a heart and faith issue. I have monitored these discussion boards for a while with no input and I have to wonder if as much time is spent reaching the lost as in bickering back and forth.

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I don't believe there's a difference in the written language of the two. I could be wrong. My husband spoke both Mandarin and Cantonese, but I do believe the written language for each is the same, at least in the characters themselves. The accentuations (the ones that tell you tone and such) may differ.
    Gina

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The question was for a chinese translation from the KJV.

To the point, I would say that it's a bad idea. How do you translate "unicorn"? I reiterate my example of the "biblical telephone" game.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Man, you married a smart guy!!!! Does he have a sister :D ?? Just curious if he has knowlege of any other Chinese dialetcs as well, and if the "similarity" rule of thumb could apply there as well.

20. BrianT

BrianT New Member

That's not how I understood it. The original poster asked for a Bible "equivalent to" the KJV, not "translated from" the KJV. To me, this means a translation done from basically the same manuscripts as the KJV was. ie. a Chinese Bible based on the TR.