1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Choose ye this day whom you will serve

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Jun 18, 2006.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

You know Bob, you can get away with denying what you said in a oral debate.
    But when it is all written down, we can go back and look what you said:
    That is exactly what you said.
    You didn't mention riches.

Oh, and BTW

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You made my point for me, Jesus never told him he was a liar but "come and follow me". You think Jesus would of wanted a liar to "follow Him", don't think so, and indeed I did say that and so did you just now. Thank you for the help, peace :praise: :praying:

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

He said "if thou wilt be perfect" he was exposing him for what he really was.
    Jesus had infinitely more wisdom than we and always dealt with people with grace and got to the heart of the matter. He didn't beat around the bush.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

:wavey: No, He was telling him the same thing we have to do and that is to believe, clean our hands and repent and we still are not saved but we must follow the Lord and have His blood applied to our souls. amen,:type:

I have to go and work out at the gymn, I will be back later, peace :praying:

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Classic J.D. strawman. You never asked if keeping the law makes one righteous. Play fair, or don't play.:smilewinkgrin:

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

O.K. Webdog, you explain to me then what BB means by this:

Looks like faith plus works salvation to me.

1. Believe
    2. clean our Hands
    3. Repent
    4. Still not saved
    5. Follow the Lord
    6. Have his blood applied

I guess we're finally saved after #6.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are a piece of work, J.D. NOW you are jumping from post to post, and debate topic to debate topic to erect so many strawmen we don't know which is which. Stay on track with the discussion at hand,, please.

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, is BB promoting a faith plus works salvation or not? Did you see his post? It's # 104 above.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

KJMatt.19
    "16": And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

"17": And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

"18": He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

"19": Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

"20": The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

"21": Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Wonder why Jesus asked the young man if he had done these things? When I quote those Scriptures I am quoting Jesus. Can anyone show me where Jesus said you didn't have to have faith before you are saved?:praise:

#109 Brother Bob, Jun 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2006
  10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

So because Jesus didn't come right out and tell him he was a liar, that means the man was telling the truth? And you know this, how?

So here we have a man who is guilty of idolatry (yes, that's what it means to put riches above God), yet we're supposed to believe he not only followed the law to the letter up to that point, but even the spirit of the law? Or don't you recall that Jesus said your righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisees if you want to see the kingdom of heaven? It's not just what you do, but what you think.

Jesus knew his mind and exposed him for what he was by going right for his weak spot. Plain and simple.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and the text doesn't say that the man was lying either...

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You introduce language that is not in the Bible like who is guilty of idolatry and because Jesus didn't say "you are lying" then you ask how I know something that is not even Scripture. How am I supposed to read the mind of every private interpteter that comes along. That is an impossible task to put upon a Christian who is studying the Word of God by Scripture. Amazes me that some can call him a liar and idolater when Jesus didn't. I thought we were suppose to learn from Him not the other way around. Peace:applause:

13. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let's see - if Jesus didn't say "you're lying" then he must have been telling the truth. But if Jesus didn't say "you're telling the truth", he must have been lying.

Hmmm - Jesus never said that flying saucers weren't real, so they must be real. Or is it, if Jesus never said that flying saucers are real, then they must not be real. I'm confused.? :)

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't understand trying to make up the scriptures as you go. I simply posted the Scriptures and what Jesus said and you continue to post your suppositions even go so far as flying saucers when we are talking about Jesus. I give you the truth according to God's Holy word. You can either accept or reject but according to some if you are the elect then you can't reject. You seemed to have boxed yourself in a corner that you can't get out. Maybe if you could show Scripture where the young man was lying then I could probably go along with you. If it is Scripture then I will accept it.:wavey: