1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Choosing a Church

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I recently moved from the northeast corridor to the south (if Florida is considered "the south". My family and I have attended various Baptist churches in the area and have not settled down anywhere as yet.
    There are many reasons why we have not chosen one church over another but I will not go into them now.

My question is this:

When deciding on a church to attend, should it be a decision ageed upon by the entire family including the children? Should it be a decision agreed upon by Mom and Dad? Or should Dad be the final authority in deciding where his family will attend?

2. Brett

Brett New Member

I think that, given that one of God's most precious creations is the family, that He would want your family to choose a church that will reward all family members spiritually. As such, it would be ideal if everyone had some input into choosing your church. Of course, depending on the age of the children, they might not have much insight into what makes a good church. In those cases, the husband and wife would choose equally, I'd say.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would agree that this needs to be a mutual descion. Although you will ultimatley be responsible for it. Sometimes the other family members can note things that you may not notice or consider.

Obvioulsy number one would be its doctrinal position. I also rate as important the general friendliness of the congregation, there is nothing worse than an unfriendly church. I would also be expecting a good programme for children in the church.

Consider that if one or more of the children are vehnimently against a particular church, making them attend it is likely to cause problems and there may well be a valid reason to why it is not liked.

4. Servent

Servent Member

My family and I just recently joined a new church, and even though we all had a say about it the final discussion was mine as head of the house, My wife would tell you the same thing we will always discuse it but it is left to me to pray about it and discide. By the way we have found a great church were we all can be active.

5. Walls

Walls New Member

When you are choosing a church, you need to check out there doctrines and make sure they line up with yours.

You also need to check and make sure that it is a Christ centered church and not one that is looking for numbers.

When you think you have one that might be right, don't commit until you have been there awhile and have really checked things out. What appears on the surface may not be the case.

Finally, yes it is the Husband's job to be the spiritual leader and make the decision, but he can base it on everyone's input!