1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chosen Childlessness

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PastorSBC1303, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Poorly phrased on my part. I was not suggesting that you do.

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

The above is what John said that smacks of relativism.

I've already showed how holding an interpretation is the same as making a truth claim.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I've never said that - in fact, I said the opposite earlier - that not having children is NOT an absolute indicator of selfishness. One must get to the underlying reasons as to the childlessness. If they don't have children because of biological reasons, then obviously there is no problem. If they don't have kids because they think they are smelly and a burden, then there is a problem.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's simply incorrect. I'm a staunch anti-smoker. I believe that smoking is wrong because I view it damages the temple, plus it can be a bad witness. Hence. I believe smoking is wrong for me, based on scripture.

I do not, however, insist that every Christian who smokes is being a bad witness or damaging the temple. It would be wrong for me to inflict my morals on smoking upon every Christian. The conviction of not smoking is my own conviction. I don't impose that upon other Christians.

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

So if someone asks you if they should smoke or not - what would tell them?

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, you did say that. However, your posts imply that not having children is AN indicator of selfishness. That is indicated by you going on to say that one must get to the underlying reasons as to the childlessness. Thus, there is a presumption that is a coupe is childless, further discovery must be done. Yet, no such further discover into delfishness is imposed on a couple with children.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I would say I don't recommend it. That does not, however, mean that if they do something I wouldn't recommend, that it's a sin.

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

So this is what we are down to - implications? I'm sorry if I implied that. Didn't mean to. If I know of a couple that does not have children, I by no means assign bad motives or sin to them, until I know further of their reasons.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think it's safe to say we've probably talked this topic out, and probaby agree more than disagree. We could probably part from this thread amicably and respectfully at this point, and let others red the thread as a whole and decide for themselves.

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member